News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco chimera

I started Cowl a few days ago. So far, it is interesting and confusing.
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Thu, 2011-10-13, 14:45:32
I started Cowl a few days ago. So far, it is interesting and confusing.

What is it then? Or do you want to keep all the interesting and confusing things for yourself? >:(

;)

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-10-13, 17:51:41
What is it then? Or do you want to keep all the interesting and confusing things for yourself? >:(

;)
Sorry about that. It's about (well, kinda) time travellers. As a result, the book isn't linear; even though there is a guiding story, the book tells pieces of stories that happen there and there (well I mean, there and there in time), and on different levels of probability. Didn't finish it yet, so I do not have an opinion on it.  ;D

funkster

Lost fleet - Corageous by Jack Campell

Military sci fi is the best description and it is not bad

funkster

Draco chimera

Woaw, classy to have a cousin who's a writer.  :D
Once again, I'm reading a Halo related novel, namely The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund. So far, so good. I especially like the way the universe is consistent, cohesive, and makes perfect sense.

PH

I borrowed a Skyrim guide book from a colleague.
I'm now reading a bit through it and discovered that there's even more things to do, than the things I did in this video game.
I also discovered that I've not even finished a quarter of this game yet. It's huge!
I know when I finish this game, I'll start over right again.

Something entirely different:
I know some of you subscribed to the Prog magazine, iO Pages. Does anyone have the latest edition already? I expected it yesterday, but it's not here...

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-05-27, 14:09:51
Something entirely different:
I know some of you subscribed to the Prog magazine, iO Pages. Does anyone have the latest edition already? I expected it yesterday, but it's not here...
Don't worry, nobody did receive it yesterday. It was a hot item on Facebook in the 'IO pages' group ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2012-05-27, 21:36:59
Don't worry, nobody did receive it yesterday. It was a hot item on Facebook in the 'IO pages' group ;).

Ah alright then. Still a pity, but glad it's not a screw up from my local postman.

Iggy

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King which seems to have passed me by for some unknown reason. Currently Book 2.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-05-27, 21:46:58
Ah alright then. Still a pity, but glad it's not a screw up from my local postman.
Received it today and you?

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2012-05-30, 20:31:51
Received it today and you?

My dad just told me it had arrived. So I think I'll read it tomorrow, because I have a day off then. ;D

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2012-05-30, 23:08:02
My dad just told me it had arrived. So I think I'll read it tomorrow, because I have a day off then. ;D
Cool. I'll take it with me on holidays for the rainy days  ;).

funkster

St paul's letter to the phillipians alongside A life worth living by Nicky Gumbell

funkster

PH

I'm halfway Andy Tillison's "Not As Good As The Book".
:P
It's funny.

Iggy

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2012-05-29, 22:24:48
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King which seems to have passed me by for some unknown reason. Currently Book 2.

Finally finished Book 7. On the whole an enjoyable series if you like this sort of thing.

Nicky007

I'v become a big le Carré fan. It all started with the new Tinker Tailor film by Tomas Alfredson.  Excellent film, but now I like the old TV-series with Alec Guinness better, he's the true McSmiley  :)

The TA-film got me reading the book, which turned out to be tremendous. I consider that one can compare le Carré to Shakespeare, in terms of language, character development, drama, excitement, psychological and social insights. le Carré's a lot funnier than Shakespeare tho  ;D

Both TV-series with Alec Guinness are fabulous. Connects me with good old England, my birthplace.

Now I'm reading The Honourable Schoolboy, also a masterpiece.

I'm just wondering, Jonesey and Iggy, are you guys into le Carré ?  Maybe also some other Roomie ?

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

funkster

My lines as i am in my first panto tonight , along with James my eldest.

Tonight Irby village hall

Tomorrow the world  :D

Iggy

Quote from: funkster on Sat, 2013-01-12, 18:16:42
My lines as i am in my first panto tonight , along with James my eldest.

Tonight Irby village hall

Tomorrow the world  :D

Cool I was born in Irby. Good luck with the Panto

funkster

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2013-01-13, 01:31:52
Cool I was born in Irby. Good luck with the Panto

no way !!! i live in Heswall

The Beatles played Irby village hall in 1962

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2013-01-11, 13:32:12
I'v become a big le Carré fan. It all started with the new Tinker Tailor film by Tomas Alfredson.  Excellent film, but now I like the old TV-series with Alec Guinness better, he's the true McSmiley  :)

The TA-film got me reading the book, which turned out to be tremendous. I consider that one can compare le Carré to Shakespeare, in terms of language, character development, drama, excitement, psychological and social insights. le Carré's a lot funnier than Shakespeare tho  ;D

Both TV-series with Alec Guinness are fabulous. Connects me with good old England, my birthplace.

Now I'm reading The Honourable Schoolboy, also a masterpiece.

I'm just wondering, Jonesey and Iggy, are you guys into le Carré ?  Maybe also some other Roomie ?

I don't know le Carré. Neither do I know the films or tv series you mentioned. I do know Alec Guinness from the movie The Bridge On The River Kwai (which I found excellent by the way) and Star Wars. He was a very good actor.
So what is this book/tv series about? Wikipedia says it's espionage. What is it like? Not James Bond right?

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2013-01-13, 22:27:42
So what is this book/tv series about? Wikipedia says it's espionage. What is it like? Not James Bond right?

Nothing like the James Bond films, Paxi. Re the Bond books, I read a few of them (by Ian Fleming) when I was young, but I can't remember what they'r like.

The books by le Carré (pronounced with the stress on "Ca"): First of all, they'r written in the most exquisite English, and with a very extensive use of the language, lots of colloquialisms, puns, and delicious humor, and le Carré makes up some words himself. That's why I would propose that you wait a while and improve your English before reading le Carré.

The Karla Trilogy ("Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", The Honourable Schoolboy, Smiley's People) takes place during the Cold War, has the British Mi5 & 6 (called the Circus in the books) pitted against the Russian Intelligence Service, and personally the English masterspy George Smiley pitted against his equally ingenious, but diabolic, counterpart "Karla". Very intricate and complex plot. Extraordinarily vivid character descriptions and developments, the characters really come alive.

Paxi, watch the TV-series of Tinker and Smiley's People. One can get them together in a boxset at Amazon for about 15 Euro, all included. (There is no filmatisation of the Honourable Schoolboy to my knowledge - unfortunately). I think that you'l be gripped by the plot. Unless you'r far more intelligent than me, you won't get all of the plot the first time, so watch them several times, they'r sufficiently entertaining to keep one spellbound for several runs.

If it becomes cult for you, like it rapidly did for me, then get the books, and read the many internet sites about the Karla Trilogy, start with the Wikipedia articles.

I'm sure you'l enjoy getting into this fascinating world - but be patient at first  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

funkster

game of thrones mainly until i can be bothered going to the library again

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2013-01-14, 15:10:13
Nothing like the James Bond films, Paxi. Re the Bond books, I read a few of them (by Ian Fleming) when I was young, but I can't remember what they'r like.

I've never read Bond books, but I've seen a couple of the movies. Not really masterpieces, but I can see why many find them so enjoyable.

The books by le Carré (pronounced with the stress on "Ca"): First of all, they'r written in the most exquisite English, and with a very extensive use of the language, lots of colloquialisms, puns, and delicious humor, and le Carré makes up some words himself. That's why I would propose that you wait a while and improve your English before reading le Carré.

And thank you. ;) Yes, I'm no native speaker of course... but when I read books, most of them are in English (Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Arthur Conan Doyle, many English study books). Speaking English (or typing for that matter) is probably more of a problem.

The Karla Trilogy ("Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", The Honourable Schoolboy, Smiley's People) takes place during the Cold War, has the British Mi5 & 6 (called the Circus in the books) pitted against the Russian Intelligence Service, and personally the English masterspy George Smiley pitted against his equally ingenious, but diabolic, counterpart "Karla". Very intricate and complex plot. Extraordinarily vivid character descriptions and developments, the characters really come alive.

Sounds good. I'll see if I can find them in the library.

Paxi, watch the TV-series of Tinker and Smiley's People. One can get them together in a boxset at Amazon for about 15 Euro, all included. (There is no filmatisation of the Honourable Schoolboy to my knowledge - unfortunately). I think that you'l be gripped by the plot. Unless you'r far more intelligent than me, you won't get all of the plot the first time, so watch them several times, they'r sufficiently entertaining to keep one spellbound for several runs.

Yes, I think I might actually do that. :)