News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Tribute-bands

Started by The Voyager, Wed, 2005-04-20, 07:55:38

Previous topic - Next topic

The Voyager

There is a number of tribute-bands all over the world. It's interesting to know your opinions about such stuff. Personally I'm fond of Seconds Out, The Machine and Envision. Their sound is great, at times better than the original.   8) 

Moonloop

Have to admit, I've never actually seen a tribute band  :o

Dare say they "fill a hole" so to speak and don't really have anything against them - as long as they don't prevent venues from hiring 'proper original' bands as well  :(
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

In November 2004, I saw the 'Skyline Drifters', who are a Marillion Tribute Band (and a well known one, if you belive the headline) in Oberhausen, Germany. The music was great, the crowd also. The singer sounds in no way comparable to Fish, but he gives all of the songs a very special touch of his own style, so that's no drawback at all. I enjoyed it a lot to sing along the 'old tunes' :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Voyager

Â It's rather impossible to watch any tribute-band concert in my native land. But I have some CD's and DVD. Since prog-giants as Genesis and Floyd are still in lethargy, their devoted fans could be stunned by the exactness and depth-of-heart with which these groups perform.  If you're into PF, try to listen to Think Floyd's albums "Hope" or "Beyond Boundaries"(the name and their own musical material just screams Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright). Although, mentioned band is dedicated to recreate the Pink Floyd experience. I know about live album called "Set The Controls"...

The Voyager

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-04-20, 09:45:26
In November 2004, I saw the 'Skyline Drifters', who are a Marillion Tribute Band (and a well known one, if you belive the headline) in Oberhausen, Germany. The music was great, the crowd also. The singer sounds in no way comparable to Fish, but he gives all of the songs a very special touch of his own style, so that's no drawback at all. I enjoyed it a lot to sing along the 'old tunes' :)

As for Marillion tributes. I know about such bands as german SEASONS END (you can download a whole album and CD-cover at their website http://www.seasonsend.de/) and JESTER'S TEAR from Canada. The former is good, the latter is superb. Trust me...

Moonloop

"Bjorn Again", anyone ??  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Quote from: The Voyager on Wed, 2005-04-20, 11:18:32As for Marillion tributes. I know about such bands as german SEASONS END

Em, the musicians in this band may be quite good. And I don't want to be respectless, but the singer doesn't even deserve that title. Yuck, german accent, oviously misread lyrics and even more obvious intonation problems... Dear, give the mike to someone else, please...  >:(

PS: was that too harsh...?
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

kmorse

There's an outfit calledc "The Musical Box" that does Genesis, right down to setlists from particular concerts. They are licensed by Genesis and apparently even bought some of the old props and costumes and even video from the "Lamb" tour. They try to duplicate the equipment used as well.

I've never heard them but I've been told they are spot-on. However, the Michael Rutherford analog plays his guitar left-handed, so that might look a little odd. Also that one of the players is a dead ringer for a member of Genesis, but he's not playing the same instrument as his look-alike.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

The Voyager

Agreement of our opinions, Peter. There is no comparison between Fish and Seasons End vocalist. Although, german guys are worthy to be praised for their recreations of some Marillion classics. Now is the time for another tribute-band. JESTER'S TEAR(http://www.marillionjesterstear.com/). Perhaps, this time you won't be disappointed.

sotonrobin

I Rarely take much notice of tribute bands, but two i have seen a couple of times are
"Australian Pink Floyd" and "Limehouse Lizzy"

S
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

The Voyager

I like very much THE MACHINE from States. Prefer this one to compare with Aussie Floyd. ;)