News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Triptykon

Started by funkster, Fri, 2010-03-19, 15:15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

funkster

I found this excellent review on the Marillion forum

Being a fan of the Frosties  ;) i am looking forward to this

The Ancient God of Extreme Metal, Tom G. Warrior (<= click), has risen again. He smells like mould and rot. And he has a bone to pick with the world...

Triptykon – Eparistera Daimones

01 Goetia 11:00
02 Abyss within my Soul 9:26
03 In Shrouds Decayed 6:55
04 Shrine 1:43
05 A Thousand Lies 5:28
06 Descendant 7:41
07 Myopic Empire 5:47
08 My Pain 5:19
09 The Prolonging 19:22

In terms of production values, crushing heaviness and stylistic concept "Eparistera Daimones" ("To my left...the demons") is a direct continuation of Celtic Frost's last album "Monotheist". But it's more complex, more progressive, more melodic, more organic, more spontaneous, more traditionally metallic and a bit more in line with the original Celtic Frost classics "Morbid Tales", "Emperor's Return", "To Mega Therion" and "Into the Pandemonium", which sounded like a mixture of Attila the Hun and the light in old ruins (<= click). Yep, Tom G. Warrior was and is a romantic.

"Eparistera Daimones" ( http://myspace.centurymedia.com/eu/cove ... kon-cd.jpg ) is, of course, incredibly dark, whereas "Monotheist" ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... theist.jpg ) wasn't dark: "Monotheist isn't huge, it's massive. It's not heavy, it's brutally heavy. It's not just dark, it's completely devoid of light; it swallows you whole." (Source) "Monotheist" was a hateful nihilistic monument that tried to abolish God and the Devil – and succeeded. Fare thee well, God! Fare thee well, Devil! It couldn't be liked. It could only be endured. Put "Monotheist" in your CD player – and the daylight dies, your whole private mythology of values disappears.

"Eparistera Daimones" is a sly, sneaky beast, the eel that dwells in your rear exit. But it can be liked. The darkness isn't nihilistic. It sounds like yer traditional melancholic darkness full of gods, devils, ghosts and vampires, the darkness in a person who believes in something. That means: Here you're well looked after. Listening to "Eparistera Daimones" is like falling asleep in the arms of a corpse that's still warm. Heck, in parts it's so cuddly that it will be of interest to fans of Paradise Lost's "Gothic" and "Shades of God".

If "Monotheist" was the feral primitivity of Hellhammer, "Eparistera Daimones" is the elegant avantgarde of "Into the Pandemonium". If "Monotheist" was a soul getting torn to shreds in the abyss of nihilism, "Eparistera Daimones" is a soul staring into the same abyss from outside, frightened stiff. It doesn't have the intense visceral-intellectual impact of "Monotheist" and it won't be considered a landmark but composition-wise it's a step up.

After only one listen I can say this is simply a damn fine piece of work, an extremely well-written open letter from hell. Except for Opeth's albums (and "Monotheist") this is probably the most interesting Extreme Metal release since Voivod's "Phobos" and CF's "Into the Pandemonium" – and clearly the most complex music Warrior has ever been involved in.

Some loose notes:

- These 73 minutes have everything: Doom Metal, Black Metal, Thrash Metal, eerie soundscapes, even Post Metal and a ballad.
- The drum patterns are pretty complex and interesting.
- "In Shrouds Decayed" sees the return of Warrior's trademarked "tragic vocals" from "Mesmerized" and "Sorrows of the Moon".
- The ending of "Descendant" sounds like something from "Morbid Tales".
- "My Pain" is a thing of innocent beauty.
- The 20 minute Doom Metal closer "The Prolonging" is as heavy as the rudely carved stone coffin lid of the Egyptian tomb you're buried in - alive. After a recent Celtic Frost gig the Monastery Metal veterans Candlemass said something to the effect of: "I thought we were heavy." Well, after listening to "The Prolonging" they'll probably sell their guitars.
- "Ugh!"

Usually, I'm rather critical but I really don't know how you could improve this thing. I can't even name a favourite track. Everything fits so well together. Album of the year for sure.

10/10

I can't wait for the companion EP, which is due later this year.

maddox

Hmm, I've never been a fan of Celtic Frost though I did like Cold Lake a bit (no surprise because that album was what the most mainstream album they've made).

Pretty extensive info you got there, Funkster.  :)
My thanks for that.

Might as well give it a try.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

funkster

Cold lake or Cold fake as it was know back in the day  ;)

The reviewer is a big fan and i trust their judgement

If you want to check out an Celtic Frost then Into the pandemonium is a great album

Nicky007

I bought Monotheist a few years ago. I played it some 4-5 times. Each time it gave me physical nausea after a few minutes. When I told my friend Mads about that effect, he responded plainly that it was part of the enjoyment  ::)

I tried again, but didnt find it enjoyable, so I gave the cd away.

Today I can tackle more than in those days, but I doubt that the Frosties woud be somethin for me. I'm not really that much into gothic stuff, unless it's combined with metal, and CF's lyrics seem a bit too black to my taste.

But I'l keep Triptykon in mind. Thanx, Funkster  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

funkster

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2010-03-20, 11:27:05
I bought Monotheist a few years ago. I played it some 4-5 times. Each time it gave me physical nausea after a few minutes. When I told my friend Mads about that effect, he responded plainly that it was part of the enjoyment  ::)

I tried again, but didnt find it enjoyable, so I gave the cd away.

Today I can tackle more than in those days, but I doubt that the Frosties woud be somethin for me. I'm not really that much into gothic stuff, unless it's combined with metal, and CF's lyrics seem a bit too black to my taste.

But I'l keep Triptykon in mind. Thanx, Funkster  :)

Nicky.

They do have a gothic element but they are first and foremost a metal band Nicky. they are pretty dark and black though and Montheist is a real primal slab of metal which is not for the feint hearted  *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Sat, 2010-03-20, 11:37:28
... not for the fainthearted  *horns*

... or faintstomached  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me