News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Demians

Started by Manatee, Wed, 2009-04-08, 21:42:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

I promised Tom my impressions of this one-man band, so here goes: Overall, I definitely like it, and I think it's complex to the point that I'll find more details to like as I listen to it more times.  The playing is excellent and covers a wide-range of moods, occasionally heavy, sometimes almost ambient, usually somewhere in-between.  I think this one's a "slow-burner" in the sense that it will take quite a few listens to totally get what's going on, although there are things to enjoy about it right away.  My one criticism, if it's that, perhaps it's more of a quirk, is that the accenting on the vocals is noticeably odd -- stress on the wrong syllables of some words, and it's clear that English can't be his first language (which is interesting, since most of the non-English-native-singers I've heard in my recent prog excursions haven't had this issue).  I rather like his voice though -- I think the unusual accenting will just take some getting used to.

To be continued after further study.   *horns*
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2009-04-08, 21:42:36
My one criticism, if it's that, perhaps it's more of a quirk, is that the accenting on the vocals is noticeably odd -- stress on the wrong syllables of some words

And this man lives in New Yoik! ;D

Seriously, I'd not noticed that (probably because I assume a voice will be used as an instrument to some extent) but will have to listen for it next time around. 8)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

The Butterfly Man

I promised Tom my impressions of this one-man band, so here goes: Overall, I definitely like it, and I think it's complex to the point that I'll find more details to like as I listen to it more times.  The playing is excellent and covers a wide-range of moods, occasionally heavy, sometimes almost ambient, usually somewhere in-between.  I think this one's a "slow-burner" in the sense that it will take quite a few listens to totally get what's going on, although there are things to enjoy about it right away.  My one criticism, if it's that, perhaps it's more of a quirk, is that the accenting on the vocals is noticeably odd -- stress on the wrong syllables of some words, and it's clear that English can't be his first language (which is interesting, since most of the non-English-native-singers I've heard in my recent prog excursions haven't had this issue).  I rather like his voice though -- I think the unusual accenting will just take some getting used to.

To be continued after further study.   *horns*

I had indeed noticed the unusual accenting, but I think it's still far from annoying. I think the lyrics are very good, so I'm sure these 'mistakes' are nothing more than just wrong pronunciation, which is fine by me. I don't see the slightest problem there.
You're right though when you say that the album is a slow-burner. Although I liked it from the start, with every listen I would hear something that I didn't notice before. After a while, the 'liking' became 'loving' and so it ended up as my favourite album of 2008. 8)

It's quite amazing that every instrument on this album is played by one man, don't you think? This guy has some serious skills! *horns*

My favrourite track on the cd is 'The Perfect Symmetry'  (although this changes almost on a daily basis! :D). The bit where the heavy guitars enter is pure musical bliss if you ask me. I guess it's far too early to ask you what your favourite track is, right?... ;)

Okay I'll stop now, because I really want to play the album but can't do so right now.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Manatee

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2009-04-09, 08:12:27
I had indeed noticed the unusual accenting, but I think it's still far from annoying. I think the lyrics are very good, so I'm sure these 'mistakes' are nothing more than just wrong pronunciation, which is fine by me. I don't see the slightest problem there.

I don't really mind it, and, as I said, I do like his voice.

You're right though when you say that the album is a slow-burner. Although I liked it from the start, with every listen I would hear something that I didn't notice before. After a while, the 'liking' became 'loving' and so it ended up as my favourite album of 2008. 8)
It's quite amazing that every instrument on this album is played by one man, don't you think? This guy has some serious skills! *horns*
My favrourite track on the cd is 'The Perfect Symmetry'  (although this changes almost on a daily basis! :D). The bit where the heavy guitars enter is pure musical bliss if you ask me. I guess it's far too early to ask you what your favourite track is, right?... ;)

Yes indeed, the man has skills.  BTW, Devin Townsend (I wonder if I could get a job doing publicity for him since I do it anyway) did pretty much the same thing on his latest (and strangest) album.
I llike 'Sapphire' in particular so far, although for the most part, I barely notice when it changes tracks.  It's almost like a prog symphony with movements, where you only notice the shift to a new part if you're looking for it.  In any case, you can back away from the window, I won't be giving this one the thumbs down.   ;)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-04-13, 05:27:48
you can back away from the window, I won't be giving this one the thumbs down.   ;)

Phew, lucky me! :P

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Steve Jones

My one criticism, if it's that, perhaps it's more of a quirk, is that the accenting on the vocals is noticeably odd -- stress on the wrong syllables of some words, and it's clear that English can't be his first language (which is interesting, since most of the non-English-native-singers I've heard in my recent prog excursions haven't had this issue).  I rather like his voice though -- I think the unusual accenting will just take some getting used to.

I've at last sat down and listened for this and yes, you're right, there is something unusual there.  I never spotted it until you pointed it out, though, so it's obviously not spoiling my enjoyment ;D

Stonking album, especially Naive which I've just finished playing *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2009-04-14, 16:45:30
I've at last sat down and listened for this and yes, you're right, there is something unusual there.  I never spotted it until you pointed it out, though, so it's obviously not spoiling my enjoyment ;D

Stonking album, especially Naive which I've just finished playing *horns*

Good grief, I entirely missed your use of the astounding word "stonking!"

Naive is good.  I've just begun to notice that one.  Sapphire is still the standout in my opinion, although I continue to feel like the whole album is one piece of music.  With the exception of a few passages here and there, I'd be hard pressed to tell you the name of which song was playing at the moment.  This is fine with me since the whole thing is splendid.   *horns*

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-05-02, 11:56:38
Good grief, I entirely missed your use of the astounding word "stonking!"

Cripes!
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-05-02, 12:00:52
Cripes!

No points for that one.  We use it here too.

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-04-08, 21:54:33
And this man lives in New Yoik! ;D

I just realized when I went back to read this thread that you meant *I* live in New Yoik.  I spent close to a month thinking that the artist behind Demians (sorry, too lazy to pull out the case and find his name) had moved from France to New York.   :o

maddox

I've heard/read that Nicolas is working on a new album on this very moment.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.