News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Creed

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2008-05-05, 12:30:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Anyone here who's into this group ?

I'v heard that they have some interesting religious themes, but I'v also heard that the music isnt all that great.

Any comments, characterisations, recoms, etc guys ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Creed is great! Sure, they are a bit mainstream but don't let that put you off. If you look at my listening profile you'll see I have a cd of theirs, called Weathered and that is one I still listen regularly. Standout tracks include 'My Sacrifice' which was released as a single and has this awesome videoclip. Another great song of theirs is 'Arms Wide Open', but this song is not on this album. When playing live Mark Tremonti, their guitarist looks a bit as if he's showing off a bit too much but I can look past that.

Too bad they called it quits a few years ago but I believe they continued as 'Alter Bridge' and are practically the same band minus Scott Stapp (the singer). But I'm gonna see Alter Bridge at the end of the month at a festival here in Holland (called Pinkpop) so I'm looking forward to that!

Nicky, my advise would be to check out their album Weathered!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2008-05-05, 18:40:34
Creed is great! Sure, they are a bit mainstream but don't let that put you off....

Nicky, my advice would be to check out their album Weathered!

Thanks, Tom, that's the sort of info that's useful  :)

I put Weathered on my SL.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from others who have some opinion of Creed.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Creed. Thei're not bad.
I personally think they are a Pearl-Jam clone but with a bit more melody.
It was mostly a religious band (Pearl Jam definitely wasn't) and they made some interesting stuff but it's not my cup of tea.

I'll pass.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Deenfan

These guys sound like what they are: An offspring of the grunge-era. Which disqualifies them almost to a hundred percent in my world. Still, I have listened to their album(s), and the one thing that I can not live with is the singing style. Sounds like he's singing with a protruded lower lip and clenched teeth. So, just like Pearl Jam, then.

But some song writing quality is apparent. It's just the sound and the style that is everything I don't ask for in music.

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-05-06, 11:04:47
These guys sound like what they are: An offspring of the grunge-era. Which disqualifies them almost to a hundred percent in my world.

Alice In Chains is one of my fave groups. Have you listened to the Tripod album, the one with the three-legged dog, Deenie ? Fabulous music.

I'm also very hot on Jerry Cantrells two solo albums, Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip. They have the AIC mood, but are a bit more rocky.

Then I like Stone Temple Pilots a lot too. They're kinda Beatles go grungy  ;D

And Scott Weiland's 12 Bar Blues (nothing to do with blues as such) is a treat.

Rocky Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

The only thing even remotely grungy I can make myself listen to is John Norum's last few solo albums and the two new Europe albums (which isn't very grungy at all, but wouldn't sound as they do without the grunge "revolution") and modern day Rush (who also would have sounded less violent today without it - something that would have pleased me well.)

You must bear with me, Nicky, but it will never matter how good specific parts of it is. I am eternally, willingly blind to what ever gems there might be in the murk. I get nauseous. Grunge is in my musical history book among the worst things to happen to music. All of a sudden, every little joy of watching MTV or what have you, disappeared without a trace, to be replaced with this horrible, sickening noise. I hate the scales they used, the guitar sounds, the playing, the "proud to not be technically accomplished on my instrument" sentiment, the singing, the voices, the attitude, the so-called "no image" image, the destructiveness, the drum sets, the lack of keyboards, the drug-ridden appearance and song writing... heck, even the way they tuned (or didn't tune) their guitars.

Oh, no... I just remembered the socks on their heads and the goatee's... *groan* I need to lie down.

But to stay on topic, I'd take Creed over all the original grunge bands any day. The "idiocy" is mellowed down a bit, and the song is back in focus, seemingly.

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-05-06, 15:13:52
Grunge is in my musical history book among the worst things to happen to music.

OK, that's a clear message, Deenie !  That's my style too  :)

I can follow you part of the way. I agree that a lot of the grunge that was splashed out over the media was pretty drab. But the stuff that I mentioned is imo great music. Have you tried out some of it  ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

No I haven't, willingly. A friend of mine used to play it a lot so I have probably been "treated" to it on numerous occasions. Whatever it was (and I know he put on a lot of Alice...), it didn't catch. And to be perfectly honest and "open", I quite believe I do not want to like any of it either.

And then there's the time logistics of it. Already I know of bands and albums I already like or would like a lot if I could only find the time to listen to them properly. I really do not need another realm to explore. We all miss out on most music on this earth, and some of it would have pleased us a lot, though most of the missing out is a product of the boundaries of our tastes. Music fans are diligent missionaries, because we so wish upon others to feel the same rush of joy or experience the same soul wrenching mood as we do ourselves when we hear a certain piece of music. I've found that it's a mostly hopeless crusade. Just about none of them will approach the song in question from the same angle and on the same background as yourself.

Without living my life, listening to all the music I've listened to at the points in my life when I listened to it, you will most probably feel something else than I do upon listening to "What love can be" by Kingdom Come. And with most backgrounds, you will not understand what the fuzz is all about. But maybe you have one that will also make you connect with that song? If so, great, but we can never know if you have the same experience.

Another friend of mine and I used to buy the same albums, but we almost never agreed on the ratings of the individual songs. What I felt was the weak one would be his favourite and vice versa.

Go figure.