News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

What are your favorite prog groups at the moment apart from Arena?

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-06-04, 15:06:05

Previous topic - Next topic

johninblack

Peter

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-06-04, 23:48:15
Hm, Peter's gonna have a hard time weeding out in all this. Hey, Peter, sleepless nights on the agenda?

Nicky.

Erm, it's your thread... so YOU DO THE WORK :P
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

I thought you might have some software that can do magic.  :D

But I guess the first thing one could do is create a megapost with all voters and their votes. That should be easy enough: mark, ctr-c, alt-arrow, ctr-v, alt-arrow, etc.

It could be interesting to have all in one, to compare and make some Freudian analyses.  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Yeah, i.a. my votes got lost with the server crash, but it was great that Peter got the Room unshattered so fast again. Here are my votes:

1. Dream theater
2. Pink Floyd
3. Zero Hour
4. Redemption
5. Steve Vai

II JJ, maybe you could cast your votes again.

And hoping for many more ....

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

1. Ayreon (!!!)
2. Spocks Beard

And now it get's hard..

3. Threshold
4. Dream Theater

Threshold first, because LaBrie's voice sometimes get's on my nerves, for the rest I find them equally as good.

5. Symphony X

SX last because after listening to samples of the new album, I'm afraid they are becoming too much metal and Russell doesn't make use of his voice in the fullest possible way he can.

Transatlantic didn't make it, since I feel that was a project, and not a band. And the only made two albums.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

funkster

JJ II

bugger.... my votes got lost  >:(

okay, AT THE MOMENT my favs are the bands that I'm planning to see in the coming months (I couldn't think of any other criterium to decide upon)

1. Genesis
2. Peter gabriel
3. Pendragon
4. IQ
5. Rush

Assignment

1. Pain of Salvation
2. Symphony X
3. Ark
4. Redemption
5. The Mars Volta

I have chosen the frst two bands because their new outputĀ“s "Scarsick" & "Paradise lost" are once again masterpieces of this genre. Ark is an all time fave i must promote everytime and recommend everyone! Redemption are also cool, the new album is really heavy - I have discovered The Mars Volta just couple of days ago. Maybe I am stil under impressions and that may be the reson for putting them on that list - but it sounds really good and fresh!  ::)

Nicky007

Thanks for your votes, Goran.

Yes, Mars Volta are very exciting. I was real into them a year ago, and I've decided to spin them again now. Very special, but once you get into it, the music really shines forth.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Hey, what happened to our Umlord? Peter, his daughter just had her birthday. We should celebrate that by letting him give his votes here.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-06-11, 16:38:37
Hey, what happened to our Umlord? Peter, his daughter just had her birthday. We should celebrate that by letting him give his votes here.

Nicky.

Wasn't that maddox?

Oh well, anyway.

Kaipa, Pure Reason Revolution, OSI, A.C.T... they all get an honorable mention by the way.
Genesis of course, IQ too. And last week I was really into the new albums by Rush and Threshold.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2007-06-11, 16:48:32
Kaipa, Pure Reason Revolution, OSI, A.C.T... they all get an honorable mention by the way.

You mean, by the Dutch Queen?

By the way, you can make changes in your fave five, PH, just like everybody else can.

When Peter has opened the shattered door for Maddox, and Umlord has given his votes, I was thinking about compacting the votes, something like:

Roomie1       1. Googlyboo       2. Booglygoo       3. Loobgydoo       4. Dooglyboo       5. Uglysue
Roomie2       .......

How's that?

> And last week I was really into the new albums by Rush ....

Would you recom it to us, PH?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2007-06-10, 13:10:06
1. Ayreon (!!!)
2. Spocks Beard

And now it get's hard..

It's funny, Appleslush, the same thing happened to me: The first two came in easy, but then I started ripping out my hair. (Now I look more like a hiphop fan than a proggie.)

> ... because LaBrie's voice sometimes get's on my nerves ....

So much for "favorites".

> Transatlantic didn't make it, since I feel that was a project, and not a band. And the only made two albums.

They just might get together again and make another album. We can always hope .........

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

*humptidumpty dum...ehm. hey i got a personal message. Hmm let's see. Hey it's from Peter.  :D Hi Peter.  ;)
ehm...hey, he's quoting Nicky. [James-impersonation] Stirred but not shaken.  ;D[/james-impersonation-off]

[reading-mode]Does it work now? [/reading mode off]

Work what?  ehm.. Oh...

Hey...

I CAN SEE!  ;D *horns* ;D

Okay, let's vote.

1 ) Dream Theater (who else?  ::) :P)
2 ) Spocks Beard (which is a tricky one since by this i mean the Morse-era)
3 ) Pain Of Salvation
4 ) Ayreon
5 ) Riverside

I must confess. This is really hard. This is my favourite list at the moment but if it was my all time favourite Dream Theater would be in it, though maybe not at no. 1 ( :-[) but the list could be completely different. Like i said: really hard. There quite a rather large number of bands that i really deeply like and to pick only five one out is...ehm...difficult.
I agree with Appel that Transatlantic, though impressively great outstanding, is a project and not a band. And i dream with you Nicky. But i fear it will remain with dreams.  :-\

Greetz and a personall thanks to the captain Peter,

Yours sincerely,

Mad.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Peter                    1. Porcupine Tree    2. Ayreon                  3. Sylvan                4. Pure Reason Rev    5. Marillion (Fish)

Crazy Diamond     1. Porcupine Tree    2. Pure Reason Rev    3. Anathema           4. Lana Lane               5. Pallas

Bellanova             1. Porcupine Tree    2. Genesis                  3. Frost                  4. Dream Theater        5. It Bites

Teunis                  1. Toto                   2. IQ                          3. Pendragon          4. Shadow Gallery       5. Asia

Crownie               1. Jadis                   2. IQ                          3. Pallas                 4. Spock's Beard         5. Karnataka

Proglady              1. Sylvan                 2. Porcupine Tree       3. Ayreon                4. The Reasoning        5. Blind Ego

HelenDo               1. IQ                       2. Pendragon             3. Blind Ego             4. Jadis                      5. Pink Floyd

PH                       1. Neal Morse           2. Dream Theater       3. Porcupine Tree    4. Frost                      5. Ayreon

Johninblack          1. Credo                  2. Frost                      3. IQ                      4. Kino                       5. Pendragon

Nicky007              1. Dream Theater    2. Pink Floyd               3. Zero Hour           4. Redemption            5. Steve Vai

Appelmoes??        1. Ayreon                2. Spock's Beard         3. Threshold           4. Dream Theater        5. Symphony X

Funkster               1. IQ                       2. Pendragon              3. Riverside            4. Opeth                    5. Marillion

JJ II                     1. Genesis               2. Peter Gabriel           3. Pendragon          4. IQ                         5. Rush

Assignment           1. Pain Of Salv         2. Symphony X           3. ARK                   4. Redemption            5. The Mars Volta

Maddox                1. Dream Theater     2. Spock's Beard         3. Pain Of Salv       4. Ayreon                   5. Riverside

Bupie                   1. Toto                     2. Dream Theater       3. Marillion             4. Transatlantic           5. Kino

CompanyCr.         1. Pendragon            2. IQ                         3. Credo                4. Galahad                  5. Strangefish

Kmorse                1. Porcupine Tree      2. Opeth                    3. IQ                     4. Genesis                   5. Pink Floyd 

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I hope that I got everybody in here, and that I got the votes right. Else give me a notice.

I can't see whether Porcupine Tree or IQ came in first, nor can I see which groups took the third, fourth and fifth places.

Does anybody know how to make statistics in a poll like this?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

I can add up. I'll just give the No. 1's 5 points, 2nd 4 points etc... Add it up and post the results.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-06-13, 00:14:15

Peter                    1. Porcupine Tree    2. Ayreon                  3. Sylvan                4. Pure Reason Rev    5. Marillion (Fish)

Crazy Diamond     1. Porcupine Tree    2. Pure Reason Rev    3. Anathema           4. Lana Lane               5. Pallas

Bellanova             1. Porcupine Tree    2. Genesis                  3. Frost                  4. Dream Theater        5. It Bites

Teunis                  1. Toto                   2. IQ                          3. Pendragon          4. Shadow Gallery       5. Asia

Crownie               1. Jadis                   2. IQ                          3. Pallas                 4. Spock's Beard         5. Karnataka

Proglady              1. Sylvan                 2. Porcupine Tree       3. Ayreon                4. The Reasoning        5. Blind Ego

HelenDo               1. IQ                       2. Pendragon             3. Blind Ego             4. Jadis                      5. Pink Floyd

PH                       1. Neal Morse           2. Dream Theater       3. Porcupine Tree    4. Frost                      5. Ayreon

Johninblack          1. Credo                  2. Frost                      3. IQ                      4. Kino                       5. Pendragon

Nicky007              1. Dream Theater    2. Pink Floyd               3. Zero Hour           4. Redemption            5. Steve Vai

Appelmoes??        1. Ayreon                2. Spock's Beard         3. Threshold           4. Dream Theater        5. Symphony X

Funkster               1. IQ                       2. Pendragon              3. Riverside            4. Opeth                    5. Marillion

JJ II                     1. Genesis               2. Peter Gabriel           3. Pendragon          4. IQ                         5. Rush

Assignment           1. Pain Of Salv         2. Symphony X           3. ARK                   4. Redemption            5. The Mars Volta

Maddox                1. Dream Theater     2. Spock's Beard         3. Pain Of Salv       4. Ayreon                   5. Riverside

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2007-06-13, 07:34:08
I can add up. I'll just give the No. 1's 5 points, 2nd 4 points etc... Add it up and post the results.

Good idea!

That way we have:

IQ: 23
Porcupine Tree: 22
Dream Theater: 18
Ayreon: 15
Pendragon: 15
Spock's Beard: 10
Genesis: 9
Frost: 9
Sylvan: 8
Pain Of Salvation: 8
Jadis: 7
Pure Reason Revolution: 6
Neal Morse: 5
Toto: 5
Pink Floyd: 5
Credo: 5
Symphony X: 5
Pallas: 4
Peter Gabriel: 4
Blind Ego: 4
Riverside: 4
Redemption: 4
Zero Hour: 3
Threshold: 3
Anathema: 3
ARK: 3
Opeth: 2
Lana Lane: 2
The Reasoning: 2
Shadow Gallery: 2
Kino: 2
Marillion: 2
It Bites: 1
Asia: 1
Karnataka: 1
Steve Vai: 1
Rush: 1
The Mars Volta: 1

The Ultimate Top 5 would be:
1. IQ
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Dream Theater
4. Ayreon / Pendragon
5. Spock's Beard

It's very close between the first and second place, with a difference of 1...

Congrats to the bands.

Nicky007

I have a recollection that prior to the server crash, we had both your votes, CC, and Bupie's, so if you post them anew, I'll include them in the compacted post, and we'll add them up again. Moreover, if anyone else feels left out, they can still post their votes, and I'll include them.

I think too that Appelmoes' method of adding up makes sense, so let's stick to it (unless someone offers a method that's even more convincing).

I'm surprised that IQ comes in first in our provisional result. There are other groups that we've talked more about here in the Room. But fine with me, they're great, and I'm motivated to listen more to them.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-06-13, 11:09:58
I have a recollection that prior to the server crash, we had both your votes, CC, and Bupies, so if you post them anew, I'll include them in the compacted post, and we'll add them up again. Moreover, if anyone else feels left out, they can still post their votes, and I'll include them.

You are right, I gave my list but it was crashed with another long post about my favorite Toto albums  :'(

I can give it back, anyway, but I'm too tired to comment it again now ... What ? Ok, I'll push myself a bit :

1. Toto (Angela, Lorraine, Rosanna, Holyanna, Pamela, Lea, Melanie ... I love you all, girls  ;D)
2. Dream Theater (they reigned on the 90's and still do fine)
3. Marillion (they lightened my youth and some of their remastered 2 CD's albums are really must-have. Can't say that I am found of the H-period post Holidays in Eden, though ...)
4. Transatlantic (only two albums but what albums !!! All of the Above is my all time fave prog epic so far)
5. Kino (just love this blend of pop and prog and the opening song of Picture is just awesome, thanks Mr Mitchell)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2007-06-13, 11:37:13
1. Toto (Angela, Lorraine, Rosanna, Holyanna, Pamela, Lea, Melanie ... I love you all, girls  ;D)

THAT is very French, Bupie. Great!

And thanks for the votes. You certainly belong in the gang.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

CompanyCroydon

PH

But there's also the method of counting the number of mentions and not weighing the number ones five times and the number fives one time (etc):

IQ: 6
Porcupine Tree: 5
Pendragon: 5
Dream Theater: 4
Ayreon: 4
Frost: 3
Spock's Beard: 3
Symphony X: 2
Pallas: 2
Jadis: 2
Genesis: 2
Pure Reason Revolution: 2
Blind Ego: 2
Sylvan: 2
Pain Of Salvation: 2
Pink Floyd: 2
Riverside: 2
Marillion: 2
Redemption: 1
Toto: 1
ARK: 1
Peter Gabriel: 1
Lana Lane: 1
Anathema: 1
Zero Hour: 1
Threshold: 1
It Bites: 1
Kino: 1
Shadow Gallery: 1
The Reasoning: 1
Asia: 1
Karnataka: 1
Steve Vai: 1
Rush: 1
The Mars Volta: 1

The Ultimate Top 5 would be:
1. IQ
2. Porcupine Tree / Pendragon
3. Dream Theater / Ayreon
4. Frost / Spock's Beard
5. Symphony X / Pallas / Jadis / Genesis / Pure Reason Revolution / Blind Ego / Sylvan / Pain Of Salvation / Pink Floyd / Riverside / Marillion

Ok... I see... well... yes...
Unless we do a second poll of "which of the following number fives do you think is the best?", we'd better stick to Appelmoes??'s method...

By the way, IQ remains on top whatsoever...