News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

High Voltage Festival

Started by Bupie, Wed, 2010-05-26, 18:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Did someone notice the lineup of this festival, especially for the Prog Stage : it's simply  :o

http://www.highvoltagefestival.com/line-up/full-artist-line-up/

My last visit to England was in 1979 but I think I am going to cross the Channel again this time  *horns*

The Butterfly Man

Great line-up! 8)

But if I were you I'd head over to the Hammer-stage to see Opeth too! *horns* *horns* *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2010-05-26, 18:19:52
My last visit to England was in 1979 but I think I am going to cross the Channel again this time  *horns*

Well, Bups, no matter what, you'v done better than Napoleon. He prepared several times for a crossing, but never succeeded. Of course he wasnt either quite as welcome in Britain as you are  ;D

I guess that UFO is the biggest attraction for you.

For my part, I'd sure like to experience Down, Steve Hackett, Bigelf, Magnum, and Joe Bonamassa (in that order) for the first time, and Opeth for the second time. But a trip to Britain is out of question this year.

Surprising that Uriah Heep are playing again. I mean, you have to be incredibly retro to think that they'r exciting today  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2010-05-26, 18:19:52
Did someone notice the lineup of this festival, especially for the Prog Stage : it's simply  :o

http://www.highvoltagefestival.com/line-up/full-artist-line-up/

My last visit to England was in 1979 but I think I am going to cross the Channel again this time  *horns*

Someone did and someone is trying to organise it.  ;D

bellanova

Im in london and its beyond my price range im afraid. Especially as the bands i really want to see are spread over the two days. Seeing ELP is the chance of a lifetime but i just cant manage it. Also guys remember what British weather can be like!!!! So im going to wait for all the bands to do their own gigs and at least perform a full setlist. Everyone that goes, i hope you have a great time! *horns*

Bupie

It's true that tickets are awfully expensive  :( but, well, it's just an incredible line-up, isn't it ?

To Nicky, yes, it's true I'd like to see UFO (and Joe Elliott playing Mott The Hoople covers) but the main attraction to me is the prog stage :

Saturday : Transatlantic, Pendragon and Asia
Sunday : Marillion, Steve Hackett, The Reasoning and, maybe the most exciting to my ears, Martin Turner playing the whole Argus album  *horns*

I know that's not your type of prog but ... wooow !

To Iggy, what did you mean exactly ? Are you taking part to the organization ?

Anyway, if some English or Dutch Roomies make the trip, it could be an occasion for a meeting. I know Nicky won't come since he is too afraid of being beaten by a wine drinker in a beer contest  ;D

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2010-05-27, 09:34:29
I know Nicky won't come since he is too afraid of being beaten by a wine drinker in a beer contest  ;D

Only the thought of that makes me crack up... ;D

Anyway, I won't be able to go since I'm already going to Budapest that week. Although I have already seen quite a bit of the world, I've never been to England, which is almost at swimming-distance. :P

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2010-05-27, 09:34:29
afraid of being beaten by a wine drinker in a beer contest  ;D

The difference between limeys and frogs is that English men are real men who drink beer and do metal, not wine and accordian and silly Hymnes à l'Amour. Touché  ;D

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2010-05-26, 22:34:32
Someone did and someone is trying to organise it.  ;D

Iggy likes conundrums  ;D  but my guess is that he's gonna try to make it to HVF  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

[Nicky's mode On] Come on, I start a thread about the most incredible European prog rock festival of the decade and, apart from Bella and Tom, I don't get any real answer. Why aren't you, Roomies,  willing to discuss serious musical or philosophical subjects instead of sticking to the unsubstantial NP thread ? I guess I'll have to return to the NeverPriest board once again :P [Nicky's mode Off]

Well ... ;D OK, joke aside, I've been thinking all week-end and, for the aging me who lives far away from civilization, this festival seems an unique opportunity to see for the first and last time many first class prog and rock acts (actually, I have already seen Asia and Marillion  8) and ZZ Top  :P but anyway ...). Travel and tickets will cost me an arm  >:( so if I want to keep the other one to post on this board (hmm, maybe it's not the best way to present things to get serious answers), I have to cut down on accomodation. So I was wondering if someone could give me a tip for unexpensive sleep locations (apart from subway) for Saturday and Sunday nights in the area ?

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2010-05-31, 12:14:28
[Nicky's mode On] Come on, I start a thread about the most incredible European prog rock festival of the decade and, apart from Bella and Tom, I don't get any real answer. Why aren't you, Roomies,  willing to discuss serious musical or philosophical subjects instead of sticking to the unsubstantial NP thread ? I guess I'll have to return to the NeverPriest board once again :P [Nicky's mode Off]

Well ... ;D OK, joke aside, I've been thinking all week-end and, for the aging me who lives far away from civilization, this festival seems an unique opportunity to see for the first and last time many first class prog and rock acts (actually, I have already seen Asia and Marillion  8) and ZZ Top  :P but anyway ...). Travel and tickets will cost me an arm  >:( so if I want to keep the other one to post on this board (hmm, maybe it's not the best way to present things to get serious answers), I have to cut down on accomodation. So I was wondering if someone could give me a tip for unexpensive sleep locations (apart from subway) for Saturday and Sunday nights in the area ?

I will check it out Bups. If I go I was thinking of a hotel as it is over the other side of London from where I live. It is not the nicest area of London by a long way.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2010-05-31, 12:14:28
[Nicky's mode On] Come on, .... [Nicky's mode Off]

;D

Did a good job of it, Bups  :)

... apart from Bella and Tom, I don't get any real answer.

So whadaya call this:  :o

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2010-05-26, 18:45:33
I guess that UFO is the biggest attraction for you.

For my part, I'd sure like to experience Down, Steve Hackett, Bigelf, Magnum, and Joe Bonamassa (in that order) for the first time, and Opeth for the second time. But a trip to Britain is out of question this year.

Surprising that Uriah Heep are playing again. I mean, you have to be incredibly retro to think that they'r exciting today  :-\

;D

Frenchies ... oh my ... :'( :-* :D

unexpensive sleep

Bups, Frenchies are renowned for getting this for free  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

To Iggy, OK, let me know : even if we don't share the same hotel, I will be pleased to meet another Roomie  :)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2010-05-31, 18:22:05
Did a good job of it, Bups  :)
It doesn't help me much but thanks anyway   ;)

QuoteBups, Frenchies are renowned for getting this for free  :D
Hum, another cliché I'm afraid, especially when you are in your mid-forties ...  :P

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2010-05-31, 19:40:18
To Iggy, OK, let me know : even if we don't share the same hotel, I will be pleased to meet another Roomie  :)

Yep it would be good to meet up.

Bupie

Maybe in 2011.

Two headliners have been announced so far : Dream Theater and ... (Nicky, hold your breath) Judas Priest  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2011-01-25, 14:22:00
Judas Priest  ;D

Yeah, I know, Priest will be going on their Epitaph tour this year, allegedly their last tour ever  :'( :'( :'(

Fortunately for me, they will be playing at both the Sweden Rock Festival at the south coast of Sweden, and at Copenhell (guess where  ;) ). I hope that two concerts with Priest in one season will be enuff for me, and that'l have to do it for life  :-*

I can't expect them to play much from Nostra, cuz metalheads aint intel!!! I mean most metalheads have different taste to mine, but just to be in their aura - aaaaaaa, mmmmmmm  8)

NP  Sparks:  Propaganda

Now, have I told you guys about Sparks  ;D

*horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can