News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

NP> The Dear Hunter ~ Prt V : Hymns with the Devil in Confessional

What an extraordinary band!
Great lyrics and dito music.
Why have I missed this band!?
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Marillion - "F*** Everyone And Run"
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Teunis

Anubis - Hitchhiking To Byzantium
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

jp: Frost* - Falling Satellites (I'll keep on trying, but still not an epic album for me :-\.)
np: Opeth - Sorceress (First listening: not a click yet, but you have to hear it more often. And will do that for sure :).)

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2016-10-03, 19:23:24
jp: Frost* - Falling Satellites (I'll keep on trying, but still not an epic album for me :-\.)
np: Opeth - Sorceress (First listening: not a click yet, but you have to hear it more often. And will do that for sure :).)

Also listened to Opeth's new album (second listen today). I think it's a good one. But next time a real heavy one again please! I'm not a back-to the-old-days kinda guy (like how you find them in the Opeth fanbase), but I'd welcome a mix.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2016-10-03, 21:43:00
Also listened to Opeth's new album (second listen today). I think it's a good one. But next time a real heavy one again please!
Don't mind a heavy album, as long as the music is guided by clean vocals :).

np: Gazpacho - Missa Atropos

Teunis

The Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness

Teunis

jp: Asia - Asia
np: Opeth - Sorceress

Nicky007

Live:  The Distance To Here

The life of a proggie is full of surprises: I had some ten years ago bought the three classic Live albums - Throwing Copper, Secret Samadhi, The Distance To Here - forgot what the incentives were, had listened a few times to them, and then they just abided on my shelf. Recently, with some 2500 cd's now, I decided to clear up and out a bit, i.a. checked once again and decided that my three Enchant cd's go out, and thought that my Live albums would go the same way, but what a surprise: Throwing Copper was really great, Samadhi even better - and Distance was: Yes, Pantheon!!!

So Live is my newest pantheon group - not that I was short of such - hey, Paxi ;)  But man, Distance is really really super - I mean, just that title 8) - and four songs that go to my classic songs list :)

Guys, try these:

Live: Run To The Water   www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1zPYKQCCY

And nice Biblical references, wonderful poetry by Ed K.

Live: The Dolphin's Cry   www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBHmcORu4og

Enjoy, guys, don't miss out on this beautiful music - also Teunises :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2016-10-06, 15:38:13
Enjoy, guys, don't miss out on this beautiful music - also Teunises :)
- Nicky
I do own a collection album, both tracks you mention are on it. Do like it :).

jp: Toto - Toto XIV
np: Teramaze - Her Halo  *horns*

maddox

I only have the albums Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi.
Decent band, one of the best songs ever actually is Lightning Crashes.
Gives me chills every time I hear this song.
They became more and more radio-friendly and that's where I signed off, though I also like the song Dolphin's Cry. ;)

A Dutch singer named Anouk did some recordings with Live during the beginning of her career.
Their version of I Alone is stunning. :)

NP> David Gilmour ~ Live in Gdansk

Teunis

Kayak - Cleopatra ~ The Crown Of Isis

Teunis

pp: Neal Morse - The Grand Experiment (bring on the new album 8))

Now listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio (Sympho Shop has got a new name)

maddox

Vanden Plas ~ Christ O

Teunis

jp: Fischer-Z - Red Skies Over Paradise
np: Fates Warning - Theories Of Flight  *horns*

PH

Yes - "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

I felt inspired to listen to this album, because I read about the Steven Wilson Remix/Remaster that got released last week.
Out of the Yes discography, this album really needs a good remix/remaster. I'm seriously thinking about buying it. The bluray version even has an instrumental version of all of the songs. 8)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2016-10-07, 15:33:30
They became more and more radio-friendly and that's where I signed off, though I also like the song Dolphin's Cry. ;)

You sometimes make hasty conclusions, Mad, like here.

The Distance To Here and V are great albums, and highly original. Distance is what made Live pantheon with me. And now I'm getting into V - also *horns*

Give'm a couple of runs - on Spotify or whatever - and let yourself be convinced that you must have the cd's.

These albums reminded me that good rock can still be as gripping as cutting-edge metal like FF and Periphery.

So, still no Roomie-companions to share FF, Bal-Sagoth, and Periphery with ? - my fave groups ? Don't you guys wanna know where and how new ground is being broken ?

NP:  Mnemic:  Mnemesis

The latest addition to my pantheon. Danish hard-edged metal group based in Ålborg. Have a lot in common with FF and Periphery, but have their own special sound - else they wouldn't be pantheon with me *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

X-Panda - Reflections (New album is out since yesterday, played it on Spotify. Love this kind of music *horns*.)

Teunis

jp: X-Panda - Reflections
np: Wolverine - Machina Viva  *horns*

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2016-10-11, 13:24:46
You sometimes make hasty conclusions, Mad, like here.

The Distance To Here and V are great albums, and highly original. Distance is what made Live pantheon with me. And now I'm getting into V - also *horns*

Give'm a couple of runs - on Spotify or whatever - and let yourself be convinced that you must have the cd's.

Partly true, mon ami. ;)
It's an assumption based on the songs I heard on the radio, and the few times I listened to the albums in its entirety.
Like taste for food, music taste can change as well, I know, but the music I heard was not worth to mention.
Each to his own of course. ;)

QuoteSo, still no Roomie-companions to share FF, Bal-Sagoth, and Periphery with ? - my fave groups ? Don't you guys wanna know where and how new ground is being broken ?

NP:  Mnemic:  Mnemesis

The latest addition to my pantheon. Danish hard-edged metal group based in Ålborg. Have a lot in common with FF and Periphery, but have their own special sound - else they wouldn't be pantheon with me *horns*

- Nicky

I've seen Periphery live, once.
They were the opening act for Dream Theater after they released the album ADTOE.
Quite rough music, a soundtrack for lunatics I might call it.
Labeled as Djent, which some of those bands I do like but certainly not all of them.
Recently I became very interested in the band Tesseract, which is more manageable.
Periphery is nice, it has its moments but not for everyday use. ;)

maddox

NP> Airbag ~ Disconnected

Teunis

jp: Comedy Of Errors - Spirit
np: Agent Fresco - A Long Time Listening

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2016-10-13, 10:37:37
I've seen Periphery live, once.
They were the opening act for Dream Theater after they released the album ADTOE.
Quite rough music, a soundtrack for lunatics I might call it.
Labeled as Djent, which some of those bands I do like but certainly not all of them.
Recently I became very interested in the band Tesseract, which is more manageable.
Periphery is nice, it has its moments but not for everyday use. ;)

Now you're rash again, Mad. Betcha haven't listened to more than Periphery I, judging by what you've written. Meanwhile they've released: Periphery II: This Time It's Personal; Clear (ep); Juggernaut: Alpha; Juggernaut: Omega; and Periphery III: Select Difficulty. They work hard at their music, and they have developed (or progressed) immensely in the course of their career.

It's a pity that you guys don't listen to this band, cuz it's some of the most exciting music around.

And the label "djent" is like calling Dream Theater Pink-Floyd-related metal, or Arena neo-prog ::)  Man, it's so much more, in all three cases. Yeah, you hear Floyd in DT, neo-prog in Arena, and djent in Periphery, but it's only a small part of a very rich sound. Interestingly, singer Spencer Sotelo doesn't even listen to Meshuggah.

I too was introduced to Periphery as the support group for the European DT-tour, in Copenhagen. Wasn't a positive experience, as both groups had been transferred to a sportshall with concrete walls, and with three guitarists, busy music, and me never having heard any of their music, it did sound "lunatic" :(

Fortunately I checked them out again, and realised that they're fabulous. Now they're one of my three fave bands. I have all their studio albums.

Yes, Tesseract - great band. Experienced them live in Cop two years ago - super concert. Have their three studio albums *horns*

And it's just as silly (limiting) to call Tesseract a djent-band ::)

I wish people would listen to the music rather than using facile labels to eliminate groups :(

NP:  Sabaton:  The Last Stand *horns*

Swedish epic metal band (from Falun). The Last Stand is about notable defensive "last stand" battles, like Thermopylae - interesting stories, and well-crafted metal, tho not cutting edge musically.

TLS and their previous album Heroes reached first place on the Swedish chart positions.

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Stand_(Sabaton_album)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

jp: The Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness
np: Opeth - Sorceress

PH

Today I listened to:

Opeth - "Sorceress" (on Spotify)
8)
Really need to get this on cd. It's new-Opeth number 3.

Kaipa Da Capo - "Dårskapens Monotoni"
Roine Stolt and some guys from 70's Kaipa playing in the same style as... 70's Kaipa! Without Kaipa-lord-'n'-master Hans Lundin, this is still something special (it's got Roine Stolt on it!!!). And the real Kaipa (with Hans Lundin) is also recording again! Probably 2017 release.

Frost* - "Falling Satellites"
Getting better and better with each listen. Would end up very high in my 2016 year list, but I'm saving the number 1 spot for Neal Morse. :P