News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Review series: "Songs From The Lions Cage"

Started by PH, Mon, 2011-10-24, 11:09:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco chimera

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2012-01-20, 13:38:13
Interesting analysis, thanks for sharing Nicky! Actually, reading your take on the lyrics of "Wilderness" I see a lot of parallels with Moviedrome, which also deals with the state of mankind, society dominated by technology and the individual that wants to break out of it all. There are certainly some themes that occupy Clive's mind throughout the albums.
Possibly linked to Purgatory Road, too. The lyrics refer to technology, war and society, and man questionning his faith in mankind's fate. It seems like it is a recurring theme in Clive's lyrics.
Let your conscience decide !

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2011-10-24, 17:25:48
Songs has been surpassed by later Arena releases but remains a cherished debut and classic that still retains its magic, the first mighty roar of the lion!

Paxi, I also got the "120 days" thingy  ;D

Guess it shows that we have some vital perennial discussions  8)

See, Erik, that's where I disagree with you. I experience Lions Cage as the essence of philosophical and musical wisdom accumulated over the years by two profound souls, Clive and Mick - and of course rendered by several more talented musicians - more as the foundation of a tremendous musical adventure, taking us into very novel and puzzling vistas of thought and music, latest Seventh Degree  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-10-24, 11:12:00
Nowadays I have a legal copy of every studio album and the new album has been preordered too, so it all worked out in the end.

Yeah, I guess you somehow always manage to wrap it up, Paxi  :)

But we had a lotta fun punking you  ;D

Yet another instrumental. This time it really drags on too long.

;)

Yes, I can also easily make do without the first three Crying for Helps. If I'm not too lazy, I actually skip'm nowadays. I'm so much into the substance of the album that I don't need a break.

As you rightly note, the fourth CfH is more central to the album  8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2011-10-29, 13:46:52
Hey Nicky! I miss your review about this album!

Thanx, Paxi, I hope I'v delivered a bit now  :)

My focus has been very much on Out Of The Wilderness, as this song really transfixed me with the depth of the lyrics - and therefore I still think that you guys should read my take properly, particularly Bupie, who writes:

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2011-10-28, 11:39:01
At last, I don't connect to the lyrics, they are too abstract for my taste and don't move me much.

You probably will have to look up some words, Bups, cuz I wanted to adhere to the high style of the lyrics - use Dictionary.com and/or Google Translate.

I'd like to do something similar with the rest of OOTW and the other songs ... but I'm only gonna write it up if I get some positive response in a bit more depth to my take on the first third of OOTW  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can