News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Alchemy

Started by Teunis, Sat, 2012-06-30, 14:58:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

After the success of his last musical 'She', Clive is busy writing a new one called 'Alchemy', scheduled for 2013. Also to be performed on stage!

More info: http://www.alchemythemusical.com/

Some of you may know this already, but it seems good to me to open a new topic ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Thanx, Teunis  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Yeah, I heard about it. Sounds nice.
Still need to see that DVD of "She".

Teunis

Quote from Clive on Facebook today:
Orchestrations are complete (for now..;)) So... Ready to start recording Alchemy for real... gulp!

erik

The Alchemy project is really taking shape now and looks very promising and big indeed! *horns*
Clive asks for our support (see below), so come on Roomies, let's help! For my part, I'm going to the fundraiser show in Holland and will make a donation. From Clive's newsletter:

'Alchemy'

The official 'Alchemy' website has been in operation for quite a while now, so those of you who have not had a chance to visit it yet, check www.alchemythemusical.com and find out about the story and people involved, get informed about the news and project's progression, check the scheduled events, read the diary of the 'Alchemy' protagonist, Professor Samuel King, listen to the musical extracts, get to know the characters, buy tickets, see how to get involved, and more!

A few details you should know about 'Alchemy'...

'Alchemy' is a multidimensional musical project to be developed in numerous stages and forms. The libretto and the original story are both by Clive Nolan. It is a Victorian adventure set in 1842, with a sense of the dark and mysterious.

The 'Alchemy' album will be recorded at the end of this year with the concert version being filmed in Katowice, Poland for DVD in February 2013. The CD and DVD (and collectors Box Set) will be available by the middle of 2013. More details about 'Alchemy in Concert' in Poland can be found here:

http://www.alchemythemusical.com/index.php/shows-and-tickets/alchemy-in-concert

We hope to see many of you there. DVD concerts at the Wyspianski Theatre are always special events! Tickets will be on sale soon.

Fully theatrical 'Alchemy' performances will be offered to the 'musical enthusiasts' over three days at the Playhouse Theatre in Cheltenham in September 2013. Tickets are on sale NOW both online and at the theatre. Find out more and buy tickets here: http://www.alchemythemusical.com/index.php/shows-and-tickets/cheltenham-shows

Additionally, the story of 'Alchemy' may gain another life. Clive is working with a famous comic book and graphic novel artist (known from his numerous works for DC and Marvel Comics), Mark Buckingham, to develop imagery for the show, as well as a possible graphic novel version of the story, as part of the 'Alchemy' project.

A number of principal characters in 'Alchemy' as well as other cast members have been confirmed. The musical will see the return of many actors known from the Caamora Theatre Company's previous productions of 'She - the Musical': Clive Nolan and Agnieszka Swita, as well as key participants from the 'She' Cheltenham cast: David Clifford, Victoria Bolley, Chris Lewis and Becky Carter.

The Company will be aided by new members who are well known in the 'progressive rock' world: Tracy Hitchings (Strangers on a Train, Landmarq), Andy Sears (Twelfth Night), Paul Manzi (Arena, Oliver Wakeman Band) and Damian Wilson (Threshold, Headspace). The album version of 'Alchemy' will feature a guest performance from Uruguayan singer, Noel Calcaterra, the vocalist for Nolan's South American 'Otra Vida' album.

Musicians Clive Nolan (keyboards and orchestrations), Mark Westwood (guitars), Scott Higham (drums), Claudio Momberg (additional keyboards) and Kylan Amos (bass) will once more take charge of the instrumental part of the project. More names will be confirmed soon.

Clive: "For me this has been the biggest writing project since 'She'. Four years in the making, by the time of release in mid 2013. I know these characters so well now... they are part of my everyday life. The way they have developed alongside the musical ideas has been a fascinating and emotional experience. If ever I wanted to write a sequel it would be for 'Alchemy'!"

Watch the new official 'Alchemy' clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMK6raYNS8

Meet the characters in 'Alchemy' here:

http://www.alchemythemusical.com/index.php/sights-and-sounds

Keep checking this site...  More coming soon!

But there's more before 'Alchemy' shows....

Four fundraising shows have been scheduled with the thought of raising funds for the production of theatrical version of 'Alchemy' in Cheltenham in 2013. Each of the fundraisers will be a unique intimate event featuring Clive Nolan (keyboard), Agnieszka Swita (vocal), Mark Westwood (guitars) and other artists of the Caamora Theatre Company as well as special guests known from the world of progressive rock and beyond. The aim is to raise the sum of money that would enable us to make Cheltenham shows as satisfying as 'She' earlier this year. You can help by participating in any of the fundraisers! The fundraising shows schedule:

31st August 2012 Wokingham, UK (a house concert)

2nd September 2012 Zoetermeer, NL (De Boerderij Cafe)

12th October 2012 Bristol, UK (United Reformed Church Hall)

22nd March 2013 Gloucester, UK (The Kings Theatre)

For details about all fundraising shows and tickets go here: http://www.alchemythemusical.com/index.php/shows-and-tickets/fundraising-concerts

Please be there! Your presence is essential!

Get Involved!

If you want to get actively involved in supporting our shows you can help us in many ways:

Become a Sponsor

Donate minimum £10 or any higher amount of money to support the production of 'Alchemy the Musical' and find your name or the logo of your company on our websites as well as in the programme for the theatrical production of 'Alchemy' in Cheltenham in 2013. Donate £200 and get invited to an intimate backstage party with the cast members after the Saturday evening show in Cheltenham.

To make a donation go here: http://shop.alchemythemusical.com/

Donate £500 or more, and become a major sponsor (contact us for more information).

Visit The Lost Tribe Emporium

The Lost Tribe Emporium is an official Caamora Company shop. In the shop you will find T-shirts, 'She' Programmes, Tickets and CDs. You can also make a donation and become the official sponsor of 'Alchemy'. You can pay for your purchase via PayPal (you do NOT need to have your PayPal account to pay for the chosen goods!) or by credit card. The money for all products sold through the Emporium will go to 'Alchemy' shows in Cheltenham. The shop will be updated regularly, so do not forget to check it now and then!

The Lost Tribe Emporium: http://shop.alchemythemusical.com/
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Thanx, Erik  :)

We should do what we can to support Clive's projects  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

I really look forward to this, I'll definitely get the CD+DVD box set and hope to attend one of the Cheltenham shows september next year. It's Clive's biggest project yet, with no less than 11 lead vocalists! The story is a Victorian adventure, this time written by Clive himself instead of an adaptation of a novel like She.  There's quite a journey ahead still to put it all together (most of all the funding required for the three Cheltenheam shows with choir, costumes, props etc.). So give your support if you will, every cd and other merchandise sold contributes to the project! And keep an eye on the Alchemy website for updates.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

New Alchemy video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ3tdLdHkjc

Way too short naturally, but gives you an idea. I like it  8) ;).

Teunis

PH

Doesn't sound bad. Reminds me a bit of "The Hound Of The Baskervilles". The track The Argument especially.
Although that wasn't really my favourite song on that particular album. I guess I'm not that fond of musicals...

Still, I'll probably buy the album. Or the dvd if there will be one. Or maybe both.

erik

Today is the live premiere of Alchemy, in Poland! I'm looking forward to seeing the results on dvd and to hear the studio album which has been recorded and is due for release! Clive, have a great show tonight!!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

I'm looking forward to the DVD. It's obviously meant to be seen, not only heard.

Teunis

It's now on Progstreaming

Hurry, it's for a limited time. Fortunately I own the cd  ;).

erik

I've bought the album at the fundraiser gig in Tilburg. I think it's great! Compared to the previous projects (Jabberwocky, Hound, She) it's definitely further away from prog and into musical territory, but what all these albums share is Clive's gift for great songs and melodies. The cast is great and contribute excellent performances, very impressive. Bring on the dvd and the Cheltenham shows!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2013-04-20, 21:59:31
It's now on Progstreaming

Hurry, it's for a limited time. Fortunately I own the cd  ;).

It's still on progstreaming. I gave a full listen yesterday and I was not too impressed, to be honest. Maybe that will/would change with further listens and better conditions ? But it's not in the first row of my buy-list so far.

Teunis

Alchemy" by Clive Nolan – live DVD and BOX out in September:

have a look: Metal Mind announcement

8)

PH

8) Cool.
I'll probably go for 'just' the dvd first. If I like it, I'll buy the studio album.
As I said before, this kind of music is meant for the eyes.

erik

Still had not gotten round to post here after attending the live theater version, the Cheltenham shows were absolutely brilliant!!!!! *horns*
Never would have thought I'd ever enjoy a "musical" this much ;)
This show deserves and should appeal to a bigger audience.
I already liked the album a lot but the stage performance really brought the music and story to life and both cast and musicians were brilliant.
Hats off to all involved for putting on such a marvellous show.
Bring on the dvd box and the concert version in Holland!!

And... Clive has revealed he already has plans for a sequel!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

DPRP's review of the Alchemy Live box set, 10 out of 10: http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201432.php#alchemy

Very enjoyable and intimate acoustic set at the Alchemy benefit/fundraiser this afternoon, there should have been a bigger audience. .
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

Two more bits of trivia: the title for the sequel to Alchemy that Clive has started writing is 'Mephisto Bridge', also the title of a Shadowland track on the Mad As A Hatter album and the title of Clive's 2005 unpublished novel. And Clive is selling his mellotron to get funding for the London Alchemy shows :o
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Sounds Faustian. Lookin real forward to it *horns*

Thanx for the info, Erik :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Clive shared these thoughts on Facebook about Alchemy and beyond:
QuoteI must confess that over the last few months I have been going through a real crisis of confidence regarding the 'Alchemy' shows and indeed my wishes to pursue the whole genre of musicals. It has proved organisationally complex, financially stressful and mentally draining.. way beyond the more familiar parameters of the bands I am a part of. A while ago I came to the conclusion that writing another musical in the same style as 'She' or 'Alchemy' is something I don't think I can do. Locking myself away for another 4 years to produce something that is a pure 'long shot' seems to be a step too far. While I love this genre of entertainment, unfortunately I don't have the fame or 'popular credibility' to attract the interest of the big and essential producers... the ones who have the budget to really help... and believe me, every inch of this thing runs on money... big money!

On the flip side, the generosity and support of so many of you has been amazing! This dream would have got no further than an idea if it were not for all the performers, and crew and artists who have put their time and energy into 'She' and 'Alchemy', both in recording and, of course, performing. In addition, we had the wonderful people who have hosted and facilitated the many fundraisers we have done all over the place... and all of you who came along to attend these events.

The truth is that I am not the kind of person to accept defeat when it comes to what I want to do, and I have always found 'a bloody minded inability to accept the reality of failure' has been a terrific ally over the years.. ;)

With this in mind, it has been only recently that I realised that in fact with this amazing support and sense of 'community' which seems to have grown out of these musicals, I would be mad to 'give up'. Over the last month I have seen such dedication to this cause, that it has been truly eye opening. The arrival of Ian Baldwin as our new and dynamic director has been a turning point for me, taking a tremendous weight off my shoulders. Indeed, when I took a moment to actually look around, I realised that this 'concept' of 'The Caamora Theatre Company' has actually become a real and tangible thing. Knowing that I have the backup of scenery design and building... prop making... creating costumes... sound and mixing... lighting... artwork... transport... hosting rehearsals... all the internet presence...well.. you get the idea - the list is long... this is really 'fuel' to my fire.
And along the way, there have been benefactors who have added more opportunities to keep that fire burning! Recently one person has even offered to finance the 'theatrical gold-dust' of a set of head mics... thus opening doorways we could not consider before.

So, what am I trying to say? Well, I still do not see the sense in trying to write another 'Alchemy', but I DO see the value in continuing this journey. This 'Off West End' production of the 'Alchemy' is portable in every way, so my thought is rather than trying to bring the 'people to the musical', we can start to bring the 'musical to the people'. Maybe with this tighter, smaller and more dynamic production, we can stop doing fundraisers and 'put the show on - right here!'
The fundraisers have been fun over the last few years, and we could not have done what has been done without them, but I really feel it's time to give something back, if it's possible. Instead of turning up with a piano and a mic in someone's front lounge..hell.. we'll just bring the whole show!

When I took a moment to look around, I saw a fantastic community that has grown up around these shows and what we are trying to achieve, and I for one will not turn my back on that. Whether 'She' or 'Alchemy' ever make it beyond little theatres.... perhaps that doesn't matter... perhaps our mission is to find ways to take the shows wherever we can... 'bring the musical to the people'.... ;)

Will I write another musical? Well, it seems it is in my blood, but these recent revelations have set me on a different path, and so the next one will be a very different kind of musical. I think freeing myself from certain expectations has allowed me to feel creative again... I already have a new idea in mind.

Maybe this one won't take me 4 years to make.. ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Thanks Erik! Dunno if it's mainly good or bad news, but the fact that Clive doesn't give up is great, of course!
I've found out that I'm actually not a big fan of musicals, but Clive obviously has a talent for it and he loves it, which is reason enough to go on with it. I hope he gets the recognition he deserves!

Nicky007

Altho the stories of She and Alchemy are very intriguing, and there are some thoughtful lines that make one reflect on life, the music, apart from a few strong songs, is not nearly as exciting as on the Arena albums, where almost every song stands out. So after a few listens, the musicals don't draw one to further listens like the Arena-albums do.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Well, Nicky, that is a subjective matter of course. I know some who really like these albums.