News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Abigail's Ghost

Started by Manatee, Thu, 2009-09-17, 05:11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

I could've sworn I saw some posts about this band, but the search function turned up nada.  Of course, some days the search function couldn't even find the search function, but anyway, I'll start a topic for them.

I have more questions than comments, actually, although I'll start with what I do know.  They have several songs up on MySpace, and I'm liking them a lot.  Many reviews criticize them for being a Porcupine Tree clone.  There certainly are some similarities there, but if you're going to be like another band, PT's an excellent choice.  Apparently they're actually American, which still strikes me as a rarity for good prog (even though the prog metal contingent will loudly boo me for that).  As to the PT comparison, I can't argue with it.  They do have a similar sound.  On the other hand, I tend to agree with one reviewer who said that sounding like a great band isn't a bad thing.  As long as they aren't ripping off actual PT songs, I think I'll happily listen to a good band that sounds similar to PT.

Search function notwithstanding, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one or two Roomies post them in the Now Playing thread.  I'd be interested in the opinions of the rest of you on AG.  Do you like them?  Do you think it's a negative that they sound rather a lot like Porcupine Tree (on several of the songs, anyhow)?  Does anyone know how many albums they have?  The only ones I've found reference to are d_letion and Selling Insincerity, but it's hard to tell from what I've read whether that's all of them.  Speak to me.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-09-17, 05:11:22
Search function notwithstanding, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one or two Roomies post them in the Now Playing thread.  I'd be interested in the opinions of the rest of you on AG.  Do you like them?  Do you think it's a negative that they sound rather a lot like Porcupine Tree (on several of the songs, anyhow)?  Does anyone know how many albums they have?  The only ones I've found reference to are d_letion and Selling Insincerity, but it's hard to tell from what I've read whether that's all of them.  Speak to me.

That would have been me mentioning them in the Now Playing thread... ;)

I love Abigail's Ghost and I have both of their studio-albums Selling Insincerity and d_letion. But I think it's a bit far-stretched to say that they are a PT-clone. Sure, there are some PT influences to be found in their music, especially on their first album, but with their recently released album d_letion they really found their own identity. This album is in general a bit harder so I think it's best to start with Selling Insincerity and when you like that you can continue with d_letion. These albums are the only studio-albums by the way. They also have a few EP's but most of the material that's on these later appeared on the studio-albums so I think there's no need to get hold of 'em.

Hope that helps! :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Manatee

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2009-09-17, 07:59:12
That would have been me mentioning them in the Now Playing thread... ;)

I love Abigail's Ghost and I have both of their studio-albums Selling Insincerity and d_letion. But I think it's a bit far-stretched to say that they are a PT-clone. Sure, there are some PT influences to be found in their music, especially on their first album, but with their recently released album d_letion they really found their own identity. This album is in general a bit harder so I think it's best to start with Selling Insincerity and when you like that you can continue with d_letion. These albums are the only studio-albums by the way. They also have a few EP's but most of the material that's on these later appeared on the studio-albums so I think there's no need to get hold of 'em.

Hope that helps! :)

Tom

It sure does, thanks Tom.  I don't think they're an exact clone of PT either, and I'm really not bothered by the similarities since their songs are their own (and good!).  Could be they're in the process of "finding their own voice."  Supposedly Gazpacho started out similarly criticized for being like Marillion.  I still haven't heard their early stuff, but assuming that was true, they certainly found their own voice by the time they recorded Night, so it may be that some bands start out with their influences very obvious and then evolve their own styles over time.

As to d_letion being the harder album, assuming you mean harder rocking as opposed to harder to get into, I might actually prefer it.  With bands that are not metal but have some heavier moments, I often enjoy the heavier songs the most (with many exceptions, of course).  I feel that way about Arena in a lot of cases -- I really enjoy it when they showcase John's guitar.  And not to belabor the PT comparison, but I tend to like their heavier stuff better (Lazarus being a notable exception -- it's soft but just a magical song).
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-09-17, 09:32:39
It sure does, thanks Tom.  I don't think they're an exact clone of PT either, and I'm really not bothered by the similarities since their songs are their own (and good!).  Could be they're in the process of "finding their own voice."  Supposedly Gazpacho started out similarly criticized for being like Marillion.  I still haven't heard their early stuff, but assuming that was true, they certainly found their own voice by the time they recorded Night, so it may be that some bands start out with their influences very obvious and then evolve their own styles over time.

As to d_letion being the harder album, assuming you mean harder rocking as opposed to harder to get into, I might actually prefer it.  With bands that are not metal but have some heavier moments, I often enjoy the heavier songs the most (with many exceptions, of course).  I feel that way about Arena in a lot of cases -- I really enjoy it when they showcase John's guitar.  And not to belabor the PT comparison, but I tend to like their heavier stuff better (Lazarus being a notable exception -- it's soft but just a magical song).

Thanks Manatee and Tom I had been wondering as well as they keep coming up in LastFM as a recommendation.