News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Mars

Started by Constable Hogweed, Wed, 2005-06-22, 23:11:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Constable Hogweed

Share this with your children and grandchildren. No-one alive today will see this again.

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar.

keyboardistmatt

Right, wheres my digital camera..... 8)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Moonloop

So...... Mars is at its closest and "War of the Worlds" is on at the Flix,  co-incidence  :o
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

keyboardistmatt

Right wheres my video camera... ;D

kmorse

Is this metaphysical or more astrophysical?
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

keyboardistmatt

Right wheres my dictionary... :D ;)

Peter

Quote from: kmorse on Thu, 2005-06-23, 15:54:17
Is this metaphysical or more astrophysical?

Yes, call the admin, he should definitely move the topic to 'Off-Topic'. Dear, what a chaos...!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

kmorse

turns out this is not true. check out http://www.snopes.com/science/mars.asp

sorry, Constable.

Appelmoes??

But I heart another story, on the radio news, about three planet forming a triangle in the night sky one of these nights. Does anybody know something about that?
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

kmorse

yes, Mars, Venus and Saturn, I believe will all be very close together in the sky

kmorse

Don't feel bad, Constable. I got fooled too. Spammed it all over and then some killjoy burst my balloon. That's usually my job.

Keith

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-06-23, 09:01:29
So...... Mars is at its closest and "War of the Worlds" is on at the Flix,  co-incidence  :o

So does this mean that the film is delayed until October, and may be 20% shorter...?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Simtere

Quote from: gelert on Fri, 2005-06-24, 19:45:52
So does this mean that the film is delayed until October, and may be 20% shorter...?

One lives in hope!  :)

Moonloop

Quote from: Simtere on Tue, 2005-06-28, 11:22:08
One lives in hope!  :)

Aw, come on......it can't be as bad as "The Time Machine" remake. Can it  :o  ???

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-06-28, 13:02:22
Aw, come on......it can't be as bad as "The Time Machine" remake. Can it  :o  ???

Can't they go back and fix it...?  ;)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-06-28, 13:08:48
Can't they go back and fix it...?  ;)

Ha Ha.!!  Funny. (you should have saved that one for a Friday afternoon  ;D )

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-06-28, 13:47:22
Ha Ha.!!  Funny. (you should have saved that one for a Friday afternoon  ;D )

But it is Friday afternoon...

...isn't it..?

Oh, rats...I forgot to add "Leap Years" into my last transportation, and it's now Friday, in the middle of May again...

Herben

I hope they now make a good film of it that plays at he end of the 19the century in Brittain, I read the book after I heard that the film played in America in the sixties, no thanks! All the beauty of the comparison of the late 19the century and science fiction was gone!
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Mark Jan

Quote from: Herben on Thu, 2005-07-21, 22:17:03
I hope they now make a good film of it that plays at he end of the 19the century in Brittain, I read the book after I heard that the film played in America in the sixties, no thanks! All the beauty of the comparison of the late 19the century and science fiction was gone!

I also suspected that, since I saw a shot of the film in the newspaper, with Tom Cruise standing next to a quote modern car. I thought that it would have been even newer than the sixties because the car looked quote modern. But I don't know very much about cars.

Herben

Maybe they'll be visiting us then the martians, drink a beer with them!!!!
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land