News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

New discovery : RIVERSIDE

Started by POM, Mon, 2006-01-23, 16:17:50

Previous topic - Next topic

POM

They come from Poland, they are now signed on "inside out" for their second album, they have a really good sound... it's sometimes  soft, sometimes heavier, the singer has a really nice voice...

More info right there => http://www.riverside.art.pl/eng/main.html

;)

maddox

Riverside is great indeed. They ended at number two in my 2005-yearlist. Second Life Syndrome is a concept and it's continueing where Out Of Myself ( the previous album ) ended.

Highly recommendated *ola*

MAD.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Saryna

Yes, you're right!  They are excellent musicians.  Theyre playing Nearfest this summer.

Teunis

Indeed, I discovered them two weeks ago. Great music, though I am not fond of those little 'grunts'. But it is not that disturbing.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2006-01-24, 19:22:55
Indeed, I discovered them two weeks ago. Great music, though I am not fond of those little 'grunts'. But it is not that disturbing.

Well, to be honoust at first it was a shock for me too, though i like Opeth a lot. I first heard his voice, a calm and relaxing but very progish but when the "growls" came in, i was stunned. But now i'm used to it.  ;)

MAD. 

PH

You know, I listened to The Drapery Falls of Opeth. It's a GREAT song. With excelent vocals too. But when the growls come in it's getting worse. I'm not keen on the growls, so Riverside won't be my thing, I think.
But I'll give it a listen anyway. Is there a place where I can hear samples? Official site perhaps?

Teunis

'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Moonloop

Riverside. Great band. Totally blown away by them (grunty-type vocals are virtually non-existant btw).

;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

funkster

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2006-01-24, 21:43:36
You know, I listened to The Drapery Falls of Opeth. It's a GREAT song. With excelent vocals too. But when the growls come in it's getting worse. I'm not keen on the growls, so Riverside won't be my thing, I think.
But I'll give it a listen anyway. Is there a place where I can hear samples? Official site perhaps?

PH you just HAVE to give Opeth a listen , they are amazing. Ghost Reveries or Still life plus Damnation which is all clean as about to cookie monster vocals

PH

Quote from: funkster on Sat, 2006-02-04, 18:41:59
PH you just HAVE to give Opeth a listen , they are amazing. Ghost Reveries or Still life plus Damnation which is all clean as about to cookie monster vocals

I heard Damnation. It's pure genius. Seriously!
And I heard Ghost Reveries sometime, but I didn't dig that, I'll try again soon.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2006-02-04, 19:11:32
I heard Damnation. It's pure genius. Seriously!
And I heard Ghost Reveries sometime, but I didn't dig that, I'll try again soon.

Hey PH, You just HAVE to try again! I just listened to Ghost Reveries (again) in the car. It rocks! Don't let the growling put you off, 'cause I didn't like it either, just as you. I always found the music great, but I just couldn't stand those growls! The only reason I kept on listening was the brilliant music. And now, after a couple of months I'm used to the growling. I'm even starting to like them!

Now I can fully enjoy Ghost Reveries as a whole! It's worth it!

GRRRROOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  :P

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

_PM_

Yes, RIVERSIDE is really good. It's interesting that they are more popular in others countries than in their homeland....Poland....

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: _PM_ on Tue, 2006-02-07, 13:49:22
Yes, RIVERSIDE is really good. It's interesting that they are more popular in others countries than in their homeland....Poland....

I wonder if their popularity in other countries has something to do with the fact that they sing in English and not their native Polish?
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

_PM_

Poland is really strange country, where good rock and metal are ignored by radio stations...it's sad but true....

The Voyager

I don't like Riverside. Prefer to listen to their countrymen as Satellite and Quidam.  ;)

PH

Quote from: _PM_ on Wed, 2006-02-08, 08:54:13
Poland is really strange country, where good rock and metal are ignored by radio stations...it's sad but true....

I think that's everywhere.
Here in Holland the radiostations only play Pop, Trance (on some stations), Rap :-X , and some cheap soft rock.

maddox

Quote from: _PM_ on Wed, 2006-02-08, 08:54:13

That reminds me of a little country next to Germany. I wonder why?

;)

MAD.

Crazy Diamond

Riverside are great indeed.

Their latest "Second Life Syndrome" has (temporariliy I'm sure) knocked Arena off the top of my current playlist  !

Agree the growls are a bit unusual, but I've got used to them now and kind off like them.

CD

CygnusX1

'SLS' is indeed marvellous, just got it at the weekend.  Seems to be some great music emerging from Poland these days - perhaps its the new home of prog, just as England was in the 70s.  I'd agree Quidam are also well worth checking out.

PH

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Mon, 2006-04-10, 16:40:44
'SLS' is indeed marvellous, just got it at the weekend.  Seems to be some great music emerging from Poland these days - perhaps its the new home of prog, just as England was in the 70s.  I'd agree Quidam are also well worth checking out.

Actually I just listened to Quidam and it's great music (indeed better than Riverside, but it's a different genre of course)

Proglady

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2006-04-13, 15:16:18
Actually I just listened to Quidam and it's great music (indeed better than Riverside, but it's a different genre of course)

In what Genre would you put Quidam.  ???

PH

Quote from: Proglady on Wed, 2006-04-19, 00:12:50
In what Genre would you put Quidam.  ???

I think Quidam is more symphonic than Riverside which is more on the heavy side (Prog Metal?).
I really like the flutes in Quidam. But with Quidam's latest album the difference is a bit smaller. :D Now Quidam sounds more like a Porcupine Tree.

johninblack

People here in England can find out for themselves soon when Credo and Quidam do a couple of gigs together.

29th September    Stripes Bar - Brentford FC - Braemer Road Brentford (with Quidam)

1st October           Riffs Bar - Hook - Nr Swindon (with Quidam)

www.credo.gb.com