News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite all-time movies

Started by Xanxtuary, Sun, 2005-02-20, 13:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-11-09, 10:17:23I guess there has been a LOT of overdubs with JLB's voice (please, don't kill me Maddox  ;D) because on my Score DVD, images are so out of sync with James' singing that it becomes shocking.
Yeah you said that before. Although I was talking about the live CD, I DO also have the live DVD and it is completely in sync. So I don't think it's overdubbed.
They're just excellent live. (JLB has improved too. I mean, listen to his singing on Systematic Chaos and compare it to Scenes for example... Wow!)

-Paco

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 10:23:45
Hey, I didn't ask you, miss  ;D
:P

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 10:23:45
I think that you're the kind that sits and is quiet and looks sweet at a distance - so the guy approaches expecting total sweetness ... and all of a sudden: CCCRRRunch, his head is bitten off ....  ;D ;D ;D

Nicky.
Yep, that's me!  ;D

Just difficult to get rid of all those dead bodies...  ;)

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 10:31:44
One has to use entirely different measures for Frenchies: For a Frenchman to learn English, it's like for the rest of us to take a trip to the moon (and back), so considering those circumstances, your English is excellent  :)

Nicky.

:o  Thank God you're not biased, Nicky!  ;)

Nicky007

OK, Bluey, I'm in. Can your two-seater take us to the moon?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 11:15:06
OK, Bluey, I'm in. Can your two-seater take us to the moon?

Nicky.
You would really risk having your head bitten off by me? I'm impressed...  ;D

Well, the car is fast, but not that fast I'm afraid...

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-11-09, 08:41:41
That must've been hard for you to admit, Nicky!  ;D

Honestly, Bluey, I take it that you love languages in general, and English in particular, aint that so?

So, next question: What in blazing h* are you doing at the Württembergische *versicherung?

Get a hiphop band together, and annoy Paco with some of the real stuff  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Well, yes - English is by far the easiest (and the one I need most often, as I'm working at an American company and most of our correspondence is in English), but I also speak Spanish (which I also like very much) and French (no comment... ;) ) - and German, of course.

The Württembergische? I just have all my insurances ("Versicherungen") there - the ones working there are my mom and dad (look at the first names...).

Hiphop? Never!!!

PH

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-11-09, 11:46:54Hiphop? Never!!!

Good!
I've never seen you doing a sexy sensual dance anyway.

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-11-09, 11:46:54
The Württembergische? I just have all my insurances ("Versicherungen") there - the ones working there are my mom and dad (look at the first names...).

What, Bluemare and Bluestallion?  ???  How should I know who's who?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-11-09, 10:58:34
Yeah you said that before. Although I was talking about the live CD, I DO also have the live DVD and it is completely in sync. So I don't think it's overdubbed.
They're just excellent live. (JLB has improved too. I mean, listen to his singing on Systematic Chaos and compare it to Scenes for example... Wow!)

-Paco

I think you are a bit optimistic here. As much as I love DT, since I saw them live a few months ago, I can tell you that James is a good frontman but his voice is far from being flawless. I do agree that his singing is much more enjoyable on SC than on SFAM, though.

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 12:19:04
What, Bluemare and Bluestallion?  ??? 
Yep! :D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 12:19:04
How should I know who's who?
Easy - you know my first name - Gisela is my mom, Reinhard is my dad. Get it?

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-11-09, 13:01:38
Gisela is my mom, Reinhard is my dad. Get it?

Sure it's not the other way around?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-11-09, 12:50:43
I can tell you that James is a good frontman but his voice is far from being flawless.

You guys should really try out Gary Hughes. My fave singer now. Amazing expression  *horns*

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 13:25:24
You guys should really try out Gary Hughes. My fave singer now. Amazing expression  *horns*

Nick.

I never ever heard of Ten  ???  I am curious. What bands would you compare them to, Nicky ?

Nicky007

OK, at last some curiosity! (It didn't actually kill the cat.)

Yes, let me name the three groups that I consider are closest to Ten:

Arena - very much, the dramatic changes between very heavy and very lite, always melodic, great mythological lyrics
            (ok, also luuuv, so there's somethin for Frenchies too  :D )

Threshold - some real heavy riffin and thrashin, but imo more melodic than Threshold

Electric Light Orchestra - yeah, strange comin from me, but there's somethin about the atmosphere, and Ten reminded me
                                     of what I once loved about E.L.O.

And a singer - aforementioned Gary H - who's beyond your wildest dreams  *horns*

He's made two other albums under his own name, The Once And Future King, about King Arther, with i.a. Bob Catley (flashlights blinkin :o ). I haven't heard them yet - can't release myself from Ten.

You can read my ravin Amazon review on The Essential Collection (link somewhere under Now Playing Thread).

So, I hope there's nothin more to stop you guys now ....

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 13:22:11
Sure it's not the other way around?

Nicky.
Now that you mention it...  ;)

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 14:37:42
OK, at last some curiosity! (It didn't actually kill the cat.)

Yes, let me name the three groups that I consider are closest to Ten:

Arena - very much, the dramatic changes between very heavy and very lite, always melodic, great mythological lyrics
            (ok, also luuuv, so there's somethin for Frenchies too  :D )

Threshold - some real heavy riffin and thrashin, but imo more melodic than Threshold

Electric Light Orchestra - yeah, strange comin from me, but there's somethin about the atmosphere, and Ten reminded me
                                     of what I once loved about E.L.O.

And a singer - aforementioned Gary H - who's beyond your wildest dreams  *horns*

He's made two other albums under his own name, The Once And Future King, about King Arther, with i.a. Bob Catley (flashlights blinkin :o ). I haven't heard them yet - can't release myself from Ten.

You can read my ravin Amazon review on The Essential Collection (link somewhere under Now Playing Thread).

So, I hope there's nothin more to stop you guys now ....

Nicky.

OK Nicky, you're on the verge to convince me (even if you don't like my poor English  ;)). Would be the second time after Stride (was not blown away at first listen of the full LP but I need a re-try).

Mmmh, let's think. You say it's more melodic than Threshold. Bluey says it's not heavy enough for her taste. I read somewhere else that it's merging AOR. That makes me think of a mix between Shadow Gallery and Def Leppard ... which would be perfect for my liking  ;D

Do you think the compilation is a good place to start ? I am not too keen on compilations usually but I could make an exception ...

Nicky007

Bupie, I have to repeat (next time I'll tug  ;D ) : Read my review. There you'll i.a. be informed that all songs in The Essential Collection have been recorded anew, all instruments and voices, giving the whole double-album a modern sound and production.

You can just as well buy both TEC and The Twilight Chronicles at once, because this is terribly addictive stuff. I'v been listening to (almost) only Ten the last month.

It may seem surprising that they're not more known, because they are very melodic, but when I think back, it was initially more of a gut feeling that kept me going at them than real enjoyment.

But, Bupie, you know just as well as I, that what makes certain songs sweep you away can be sooo irrational - some emo, some vibe, some beat - beats me  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-11-09, 16:15:06
Stride (was not blown away at first listen of the full LP but I need a re-try).

I didn't see this, Bupie.

My Threshold lies at Ten  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 16:29:05
I didn't see this, Bupie.

My Threshold lies at Ten  ;D

Nicky.

Sorry but there my English is too poor so I don't understand. Is there a pun that I should get  ???

Anyway, I am on for the buy of the Essential Collection. You will make my kids end starving, Nicky  :-\ :(

PH

He means that you should listen to an album ten times before giving your opinion on it.

And he mentioned two bands within the sentence to tell you. ;)

Good one Nicky! ;)

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-11-09, 17:24:45
He means that you should listen to an album ten times before giving your opinion on it.

And he mentioned two bands within the sentence to tell you. ;)

Good one Nicky! ;)

Oh, OK. That's a very good one indeed but I understood absolutely nothing ... at first reading  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-11-09, 16:52:39
Sorry but there my English is too poor so I don't understand. Is there a pun that I should get  ???

Yeah, Paco got it. A "threshold" is something that divides two domains, or makes one decide differently.

> Anyway, I am on for the buy of the The Essential Collection. You will make my kids end starving, Nicky  :-\ :(

Prob more save some geese from ending up as fois gras, which I don't mind doin - what a barbarian tradition you Frenchies have. If you replace the fois gras with good music, you're much better off, Bupie.

TEC is a good place to start with Ten, because it's a collection of some of their best songs during their first ten years - yes, ten, ten - think of Tintin, Bupie.

I'm sure you'll like TEC so much that you'll want The Twilight Chronicles too, which is a concept album.

But Bupie: Be patient, this is deep music.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-11-09, 23:20:32
Prob more save some geese from ending up as fois gras, which I don't mind doin - what a barbarian tradition you Frenchies have. If you replace the fois gras with good music, you're much better off, Bupie.

It's foie gras, Nicky. And I love it, indeed.  :P

QuoteTEC is a good place to start with Ten, because it's a collection of some of their best songs during their first ten years - yes, ten, ten - think of Tintin, Bupie.

Tintin is Belgian, not French.

QuoteI'm sure you'll like TEC so much that you'll want The Twilight Chronicles too, which is a concept album.

But Bupie: Be patient, this is deep music.

By the way, Stride is growing on me. How Far is a really catchy heavy ballad  :)

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 16:43:22
Erik expresses himself and spells like a 30-year old native English academician, A+ - I'm looking for friends here  ;D
Wow, thanks for that Nicky! :P Well, the 30-year old part is correct anyway ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..