News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Religious art

Started by Nicky007, Fri, 2007-07-27, 11:29:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

If you want to see some magnificent religious art, then check this out, by the Danish painter Arild Rosencrantz (well, his mother was actually Scottish, a medium) (yes, we do have some genius here, if not in prog):

http://www.arildrosenkrantz.dk/uk/galleri.html

I'd be happy to have your comments.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Appelmoes??

I like his work with colours, although he mostly seems to be limited to orange, yellow and blue, and the proportion of the figures aren't as good as they could be, but that may be done on purpose. Overall, I think it's good stuff.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Yeah it's kind of nice, but I think I'll just HAVE to say it, sorry:

I'm not really happy about the "Madonna" picture. Maybe because I'm not a Catholic but a Reformed boy. The halo around "the mother of God", you know. Or picturing Jesus for that matter.

I say this as a "child of the reformation". :P

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-07-27, 14:00:57
I say this as a "child of the reformation". :P

I am also a child of the reformation, PH, Luther is one of my heroes, and my connection goes directly to God (not even through Arena), and I find celibacy and male monopoly in priesthood severely outdated; but nonetheless, I can enjoy the art of other religions according to its own terms.

Rosenkrantz is actually not Catholic, but Anthroposophical (he was a personal friend of Steiner's), but the theology of Anth is closer to Cath than to the reformed churches, whereas the praxis is closer to Lutheranism, as Anth allows marriage and women as priests.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-07-27, 14:41:40I am also a child of the reformation, PH, Luther is one of my heroes, and my connection goes directly to God (not even through Arena)
:D Haha. Luther was a nice man (to some extend by the way), but my hero is John Calvin. ;)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-07-27, 14:41:40And I find celibacy and male monopoly in priesthood severely outdated
Can you explain this a bit to me, if you want to?

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-07-27, 14:41:40But nonetheless, I can enjoy the art of other religions according to its own terms.
I can always appreciate someone's talents, but the "produced output" wouldn't have my appreciation per se. For example: I definately appreciate the skills of Dream Theater, and I love their music, but that doesn't mean that I won't place my questionmarks on some of the output. (Their new album is very difficult to me lyricwise)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-07-27, 14:41:40Rosenkrantz is actually not Catholic, but Anthroposophical (he was a personal friend of Steiner's), but the theology of Anth is closer to Cath than to the reformed churches, whereas the praxis is closer to Lutheranism, as Anth allows marriage and women as priests.
:D I'll take your word for it, my history wasn't that good! But I'm catching up.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-07-27, 15:34:59
:D Haha. Luther was a nice man (to some extend by the way), but my hero is John Calvin. ;)

Calvin made people shit in their pants because of his doctrine of predestination, but of course, times have changed, and today Calvinist Dutch people don't seem much different from Lutheran Scandinavians, and we all enjoy beer, and some of us prog.

>Can you explain this a bit to me, if you want to?

Well, celibacy here means that priests (men) can't marry (which doesn't mean that they don't screw off the record), and we can see that that doctrine is going haywire today. Heteros stay away from the call of Catholic priesthood, and the homo priests fiddle around with the altar boys. (I'm a bit straightforward here, that's the way I am, hope I'm not offending anyone.)

Why women shouldn't have the abilities to be just as excellent priests as men, is beyond me; ask the Pope about that. In the Danish Lutheran Church, which I'm an enthusiastic member of, we now have as many women priests as men, and in general they're just as wonderful.

> I can always appreciate someone's talents, but the "produced output" wouldn't have my appreciation per se. For example: I definately appreciate the skills of Dream Theater, and I love their music, but that doesn't mean that I won't place my questionmarks on some of the output. (Their new album is very difficult to me lyricwise)

I'm a Lutheran, but my Commandment is: Love God, love yourself, and love your next. So if someone else has a different take on the nitty-gritty, that's fine by me.

> I'll take your word for it, my history wasn't that good! But I'm catching up.

I spent eight years with Anthroposophy, read 200 volumes of Steiner's Gesamtausgabe in depth, plus lots of other stuff, so I think I know a thing or two about Anth. That also improved my German, by the way.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-07-27, 16:22:47
Heteros stay away from the call of Catholic priesthood, and the homo priests fiddle around with the altar boys. (I'm a bit straightforward here, that's the way I am, hope I'm not offending anyone.)

Why should the truth offend, even when put bluntly? IMO anyone who condones such behavior deserves similar punishment to those perverts that perform such acts.

Back on topic......

I like the way his oil on canvas work looks as if it could easily have been done in pastels.

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-07-29, 13:19:52
Here's another great Danish spiritual painter, J.F. Willumsen:

http://images.google.dk/images?q=J.F.+Willumsen&btnG=S%C3%B8g+i+billeder&svnum=10&um=1&hl=da

Nicky.

Hmm, i must say that i like this one better than Arild Rosencrantz. More variety of colours i guess.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.