News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Arena on Wikipedia

Started by Peter, Mon, 2005-05-30, 21:36:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

JJ II

Well, the text needs some work....and additions.

Fortunatly I'm working on a biography, so hopefully lots more info will be available somewhere out there after summer... the guys deserve the full story to be told. A lot has happened over the last 10 years, I realised while writing and doing interviews....

Appelmoes??

Cool 8)

*Gonna check other bands right now...

Edit: Ayreon@Wikipedia
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

Ha! Just noticed the text under your avatar, Appelmoes??... Are you an aspiring honorary norse?

Angel-of-Music

The bit about illicit drugs is rather insulting though!!  :o

Peter

Quote from: Angel-of-Music on Tue, 2005-11-29, 17:07:58
The bit about illicit drugs is rather insulting though!!  :o

huh? where did you find that?

Angel-of-Music

Peter, On the third link from the top which ends in "Clive Nolan".

Its an article/entry about Clive, and says "Clive used to be really .....[edit: took out that crap. Peter]."

Who wrote this??  ???

maddox

I've read it too. Not a nice thing to say imo.
The rest is readable.

Didn't know he wrote anything for Edge Of Sanity.
A pleasant surprise.

MAD.  8)

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

Quote from: Angel-of-Music on Tue, 2005-11-29, 19:17:28
Peter, On the third link from the top which ends in "Clive Nolan".

Its an article/entry about Clive, and says "Clive used to be really fat but somehow he managed to lose about 25 kilos in less than a year. He's probably taking illicit drugs and partying too hard."

Who wrote this??  ???

I don't know, some bastard probably. I took it out.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2005-11-29, 19:59:02
I've read it too. Not a nice thing to say imo.
The rest is readable.

Didn't know he wrote anything for Edge Of Sanity.
A pleasant surprise.

MAD.  8)

I just read that.  It's not a nice thing to say.

I say let's get out there and twat 'em!  If they want a barney we'll give 'em one!  We'll all crowd around, and pin 'em down, then we'll wax their pubic hairs!  They'll be out of there quicker than a Hare with a bum full of dynamite! >:(

Errr... excuse me.  I seem to have gotten carried away... :-[
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Angel-of-Music

Seriously though, that's incredibly irresponsible, it's slander. Encyclopedias can't just make up stuff, random speculation and dirt on people like some kind of tabloid!! They could be sued.......I smell a libel trial......

who in the hell writes for them anyway?? We should contact them.  >:(

Saryna

I like that visual of the hare with the dynamite.  Works for me! :-\

I had seen that wikipedia bullshit quite awhile ago and was really hoping nobody had seen it, especially our fearless leaders.  That's tabloid fare and unfortunately the way it comes off is that it's something to be taken seriously.  Just glorified reviews...with some facts thrown in is all wikipedia is.  At least with some of the spoof websites out there(I won't mention their names) you know it's just a joke and that underneath whoever they poke fun at is really someone they admire and respect.

It is  slanderous and I would definately write them to let them know your feelings about it.  And not necessarily from being a fan, but objectively.  Because getting people, 'and fans' riled up is their aim in doing that anyway.  I wouldn't write anything on any message boards at their site because that  just gives them more attention, which is what they want.  I think the boyz threatening to sue and getting money out of them should do the trick. Usually does. :P

Peter

Wikipedia is a "Wiki" in the first place, and that means, that everybody can contribute to the content. Like, everybody. And becuase that represents quite a huge number of people, there's always dumbheads amongst them. That's what the community is here for, to keep things clean.

PH

And therefore it's not a reliable source.

I hate unreliable sources...

This way you have to trust people who, most of the time can't be trusted.

Deenfan

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-11-30, 13:29:34
Wikipedia is a "Wiki" in the first place, and that means, that everybody can contribute to the content. Like, everybody. And becuase that represents quite a huge number of people, there's always dumbheads amongst them. That's what the community is here for, to keep things clean.

That's the most dangerous manifestation of the internet way. People start to trust this -pedia to be an encyclopaedia, thereby trusting it like they wouldn't trust other info on the net. (Providing they do filter the info elsewhere on the net at all. I know people who has yet to learn that!)

I recently bought the Norwegian equivalent to Encyclopaedia Britannica. That's hard core quality reliable information for you. And faster to look up than google too. We did a test, the wife and I. Some times, she was faster with the pc than I was with the books, but then she had to double check and consider the reliability...

Wikipedia is a great and wonderful idea. It will never work. Not without changing the nature of it.

Stuart

One of the biggest and revolutionary principles of a true WIKI is that not only can you contribute new material, but you can edit all existing material you believe to be wrong. Sounds to me like a tough balance between anarchy if you have fully open access, and censorship if you limit or moderate editing. So he/she who posts most can influence the truth? This leads to a belief that those with the most time on their hands are therefore most likely to have their opinion and beliefs imposed upon a WIKI and those who read it, which is a kind of power. Sounds like a song in there somewhere :)

Kind of sad really, especially when some irresponsible (insert a suitably derogatory term here) can post anything they like about anyone without fear of prosecution (alegedly).

Deenfan

Definitely a good point. What good is an encyclopaedia if you cannot trust it at all?

keyboardistmatt

...then it is always a good idea to cross-check the information, isn't it?

Peter

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-12-07, 18:25:58

Now you've got it. Wikipedia is reliable, as long as everybody contributes facts he has proven to be true himself.

PH

And there are always some @#$% ******* who post things to fool the rest of the world! >:(

Not reliable.
Any unforgiving soul can post any crap he wants.

Deenfan

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-12-07, 18:25:58

A respectable encyclopaedia is the reference point. No need for cross checking, unless the information is badly outdated. And against what would you cross check it? Wikipedia is like any other info on the internet, then. Unreliable. Might be true, might not be true. You never know. Sometimes it's nice just to know. So I'll stick to my huge books in my lifetime. If it says somewhere behind a persons name (1902-), by 2010 I'll just assume he's dead. I could always cross check against the Guinnes Book of Records. If I can't find him there by 2028, he's dead alright!! ;D

Peter

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

Peter