News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Moviedrome - the big question!

Started by Clive, Sat, 2005-07-23, 09:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

OK.... there's over two hundred of you on this forum..... here a chance for everyone to have an opinion.

I'm working on the set list for the September tour. I'm hoping it will reflect the ten years of Arena.
However, the song I can't decide about is Moviedrome.
So.... simple question...

Should Arena play Moviedrome on the tour?

Remember, this track is a sacrifice of time, energy and attention - It might seem great and nostalgic when the first few notes echo through the venue, but after that there's another 20 minutes of music. I don't want this moment in the set to be the point where everyone can go and get a beer, have a chat, eat a burger, and still be back in time for the big finish!
At the moment the band is undecided on this track (it's a big learning job as well!).... probably leaning slightly towards 'no'.... but you can influence this decision.... I'd really like to hear from as many people as possible on this...

Over to you  :)

Peter

How about including a "shorter" Moviedrome? I know this would mean work to do, and it wouldn't be the original, but like this you could play it, without the extreme time sacrifice....

Which actually means, that I'd be very glad to hear it, but if it means to leave out other tracks for it, no.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Teunis

I love the whole song, so I wouldn't be bored at all!! But I have a suggestion: Maybe it's possible for you to play some kind of medley with parts of 'Moviedrome' in it. Toto often did medleys at the gigs I attended and it was awesome! Don't know if you have enough rehearsing time for that.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Noah

Simply love that song.
And I also would love to finally hear it live again.
Play it, pleeeease!

Appelmoes??

I agree with Peter. Threshold has done this with Narcissus. As long as the great last part survives :D

"So we're standing in the mooooooooviedrome" that always gives me chills, so I would love to hear it! 8)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Clive

Trouble is.... we've found that most Arena fans don't like medleys.... they would rather we played the whole thing.
Believe me... a 'best bits of Moviedrome' track would not go down well...

It has to be all or nothing.... :)

keyboardistmatt

ALL!!! ;)

It will be simply marvellous!
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Constable Hogweed

Awesome track Clive. I vote it in.
Anyone who went to the bar for that one would be mad or stupid in my opinion.

Teunis

Quote from: Clive on Sat, 2005-07-23, 13:42:27
Trouble is.... we've found that most Arena fans don't like medleys.... they would rather we played the whole thing.

I didn't know that, discovered Arena this year, way too late ;). In that case: ALL.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Clive on Sat, 2005-07-23, 13:42:27

In that case: All of it! :D The song is worth the time!

My drawings on MySpace

Invisible_Jen

My vote is ALL!!!!! :)

I would love to hear it live on my first Arena Concert  :)
I have read all your letters
I know what you contain
I have dreamt your dreams....

ironcow2103

Quote from: Clive on Sat, 2005-07-23, 09:19:52

Should Arena play Moviedrome on the tour?

Going to go against the grain here and say no...

Love the song but at around 20mins it's going to take up a big chunk of the show, especially if you're doing songs from the last ten years. Butterfly Man. Friday's Dream and Waiting For The Flood would provide a better spread of material from Immortal? IMHO...

Got to admit I'd vote for dumping some of the regulars (you can bring them back next tour!!) and giving some oldies and not played in years/if ever a run out (having been listening to Pendragon all evening as I download them onto my iPod, it struck me how many good songs will probably never be heard live again...)

Steve

ps. though I'd like to see Opera Fanatica done live!! ;)

keyboardistmatt

Clive, what's the set-length going to be?

-The longer the better I hope, I have all night...! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

JJ II

Personally, although I love Moviedrome, I can do without...

I thjink you guys played an awesome set in Aschaffenburg, maybe the best possible, although one or two 'surprises' would be nice.

It's the same old question: would younlike to hear Supper's Ready (yes!), in stead of Cinema Show and Forth of Fifth (no!),....

So the question always is: what's going to be left out then....

about medleys: I think the medley on Rob'd debut-tour (consisting of Pride and Songs material) worked very well...

johninblack

My vote would have to be.........extend the show by 20 minuits or so!!!

Peter

Quote from: johninblack on Tue, 2005-07-26, 16:58:09

Hehe, good idea. More sweat from the musicians :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

sotonrobin

Quote from: johninblack on Tue, 2005-07-26, 16:58:09

Here Here. Use Moviedrome for the Encore. 

Please not at the expense of "The Hanging Tree".

Mostly Autumn nearly always use "Mother Nature" (13 mins +) as one of the encore tracks.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Simtere

Much as I love the song my vote has to be an emphatic NO ... leave it out.

I agree with some of the previous posts, 20 minutes is too big a chunk of the set to take up with a single song. 

I also find these days my attention span does not tend to last through the epic numbers, and I think thats true of many of the audience (even if not members of this forum).  Play a long track and number of the audience will be talking before you get half way through it!  Sad but true!

That said if you must do it, can you stick it in the middle of the set - that way I can at least wander off to the merchandise desk and buy some goodies!

jeffMc

You guys have so much great music. And MovieDrome is one of my favourites. But it is an Epic, and it would eat up a significant time slice, that could fit other tunes.
IMHO, I would not do it. And I do not think the fan base would be disappointed. (Just do not forget the Butterfly  Man ;) ).

Again in my opinion: Pepper's Ghost (as much as can be done live), Painted Man, Skin Game, Riding the Tide, Chosen, Butterfly Man, Friday's Dream, Double Vision, Hanging Tree, Enemy without, Valley of the Kings, Solomon. Encore? Something from Contagious, or Contagium. ;) Just my opinion, again :) I mean that is ALOT of music. (But Then the Contagion Tour had alot!). You guys definitely give the money's worth!

And my hats off to you guys for being so professional, tight and entertaining.

Jeff

Deenfan

Do Jericho instead of Solomon. Won't that buy you time? ;D

Saryna

Well, I don't know the song really well, so it won't be missed by me. Although I know it's great!

Just taking into account some of the things you said in your original post about how much work it would involve in learning, etc. I think you answered your own question there.  Also remembering what you had posted about Rob's performance being very good and that it takes not only knowing the material, but performing it well, that also is important.  Rob does an incredible job.  Being  a performer myself in the past, if it were me  I would perfect what is known very, very well.  Meaning all members.  Taking what works already, and then taking it from there, is far better than trying to shine things up all through a tour and finally getting it right on the last 5 gigs or so.  You can breathe easier and have alot more fun.  Of course the shows will be phenomenal then.

Since you're still showcaseing a fairly brand new album "Pepper's Ghost" ,make it mostly the Ghost and go backward. Would not want to stint on the Ghost because its a brilliant album.  Practice the Drome but only in case you have an extended evening with more encores.  Use it on an encore.

Just my 3 cents for what its worth.

kmorse

I concur with the previous post, Clive: You've answered your own question. Save that 20 minutes for 3-4 other songs.

If you can figure out a way to get Arena to Denver, Colorado, you may play anything you wish and I will listen politely. No stepping out for a beer or burgers.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Clive

OK..... I think we're leaning towards extra tracks instead of the one big one....

Thanks for the opinions  :)

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

In his post number 100, Clive thanked the fans for their opinions. Not bad. :)