News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Lee Sklar... isn't that the long bearded guy from Phil Collin's band?
You don't easily forget a man like that.

-Paco

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-02-28, 21:15:22

-Paco

Yes, that's it. Never heard of him before I saw him last year with Toto as a replacement for injured Mike Porcaro. And he is a very impressive bass player, I can assure you !

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2008-02-28, 21:08:41
Well, to be honest, I don't find Ever Changing Times better than Luke or Candyman, his previous solo efforts. Not adventurous enough and with too many fading outros when a great solo is on its way ... But it's still a very good album ....

Several reviewers consider his lyrics to have improved, and that's a major criterion for me, Bups.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-02-28, 21:15:22

-Paco

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2008-02-28, 21:36:48
Yes, that's it. Never heard of him before I saw him last year with Toto as a replacement for injured Mike Porcaro. And he is a very impressive bass player, I can assure you !

Egads, I remember that guy too -- that beard is hard to forget.   I saw him years ago playing with James Taylor.  Looked him up on Wikipedia; apparently he's played with approximately the whole world.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Sklar
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Yeah, fabulous beard !

Glad to have it in my thread  8)

Whaddaya say now, Paco  ;D

Man, I'v never before seen a discography like the one on Wiki for LS. Amazing  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-02-29, 08:59:10Yeah, fabulous beard !

Glad to have it in my thread  8)

Whaddaya say now, Paco  ;D

Well, it must be very difficult to wield such a beard. ;D
If I want to see a beard like that, I'll wait for 5th december.
I prefer the more compact beards.

-Paco

PS: Now it seems like I'm helping you defeat me. (regarding the longest LP-thread.)

maddox

I wonder what would happen if his beard got caught between the strings?

I bet it would sound great.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

bluepony

... and I bet it would also look funny!  ;D

maddox

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2008-03-03, 18:36:43
... and I bet it would also look funny!  ;D

;D

Well, we're the only one laughing about it so it's safe to assume that the rest don't have a sense of humour.  ;) :P

PH

... and I bet it would be painful for the old man...

And funny! ;D

The Butterfly Man

Congrats Nicky, today a year ago you signed up for this forum! ;)

Now you've got a good reason to drink lots of beer today mate......and so do I! ;D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Thanks, Tom. Been a long and winding journey - and ahead is hopefully an even longer one.

Met several great people here in the Room - you're one of them  :)

Hope that - and looks like - despite some differences, we can always keep in mind our shared passion for great music  *horns*

And with these two posts, I'v left Paco('s) faaar behind  ;D

Aaand, fortunately Lady 007 has some great beer in her Malmö fridge ... but better wait till later in the day, so she doesnt think I'v become an alco  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

So, I decided to order my fave groups alphabetically. It got to annoying me having to grade them in relation to each other; comon, they're all fabulous  *horns*

And I have to do something to stay ahead of Paco  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-04-29, 21:43:48
So, I decided to order my fave groups alphabetically. It got to annoying me having to grade them in relation to each other; comon, they're all fabulous  *horns*

And I have to do something to stay ahead of Paco  ;D

Nicky.

Hey I have my list in alphabetical order too. What a coincidense! :o

;D

My list needs to be updated though... :-\

Tom

Nicky007

I got my monthly allowance from the State today, and I thought I better get some cd's before I hit rock bottom again (sooner than is comfy). I went to see my prog friend Mads at Fona, and it turned out that he had some real good offers for me:

Ten:  Return To Evermore   Wonderful, beautiful, sublime ..... It may have transpired that I'm a BIG Ten fan. They're one of my five fave groups - equal to Arena in my (crazy) mind. But Twilight Chronicles is still the best  *horns*

Section A:  Parallel Lives   Mads told me that they were close to Dream Theater and Seventh Wonder, and had his alltime fave singer Andy Engberg in the mix. I sure wasnt gonna leave that page unturned !  A Scandinavian group. I can see Tom getting all antsy now:  Yup, I'l tell you later what they're like, Tom.

Metallica:  Ride The Lightning  &  ReLoad   Now that Metallica have become one of my fave groups, I gotta bc them - and with great joy !

Zep:  The Song Remains The Same   A classic dvd. Not only is the music terrific, but each of the four guys got to live out a dream in a beautiful visual recording along with their music.

10cc:  How Dare You   Also a classic. Imaginative prog. Songs like Art For Art's Sake and I'm Mandy Fly Me have gone into the rock canon. Something for Paco.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-04-30, 19:29:49
Section A:  Parallel Lives   Mads told me that they were close to Dream Theater and Seventh Wonder, and had his alltime fave singer Andy Engberg in the mix. I sure wasnt gonna leave that page unturned !  A Scandinavian group. I can see Tom getting all antsy now:  Yup, I'l tell you later what they're like, Tom.

Need...to...know...now! What are they like!?!?!? ;D

No but serious, you made me quite curious!

Tom

Nicky007

Tom, they actually are quite close to SW & CM, not so much to DT.

The music is real hot  *horns*

the concept and lyrics so-so  :-\

It's a general issue with Scandinavian groups that their lyrics arent up to the standards of, say, Arena and DT. Probably they concentrate so much on emulating the Anglo-American groups musically that the lyrics become subordinate to that. Here Mikael Åkerfeldt is a rare exception; I find his lyrics as visionary as those of Clive and JP - isnt that so guys ?

I'll give you the link to Batman's fine review of Parallel Lives on Amazon.com. I agree with him, except that I think that the music is so terrific that I would give the album a full five stars.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RGUR59H9E961S/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&ASIN=B000CSUV7W&nodeID=5174#wasThisHelpful

Iac, Tom, Mad, and John, this album is difphünerdly something for you guys  ;D

Btw Batman's real name is Murat Batmaz. He's a member of the Room and he comes around for an occasional visit. However, he favors the beer other places  :D

If you go out on Amazon.com for reviews (imo the best site for that), then I can recom that you go for Batman's reviews - as I wrote in the comment: always informative, fair, and precise  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-05-04, 10:41:48

Iac, Tom, Mad, and John, this album is difphünerdly something for you guys  ;D

Zeker weten?  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2008-05-04, 20:04:37
Zeker weten?  ;D

Suck her wet in what, Mad ?

Hey Cap, I was just reading aloud what Mad had written  :o

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Nicky007

I just added Mike Oldfield and Queens Of The Stone Age to my prog pantheon (and a yard to my leadership in the LPLC).

Mike Oldfield is an old field! sorry, I mean love, and I dont know why I havent added him earlier. Do you, Tom ?   ;D

QOTSA are a new love, and they're among the best, so naturally they belong there. Thanks, Tom.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-06-12, 12:29:19
Mike Oldfield is an old field! sorry, I mean love, and I dont know why I havent added him earlier. Do you, Tom ?   ;D

I don't have a clue... ;) But tell me about his music, is it any good? :D

QOTSA are a new love, and they're among the best, so naturally they belong there. Thanks, Tom.

Well, you have to thank them for playing at Pinkpop!

But I listened to a couple of songs on their MySpace (TheirSpace? ;D) yesterday evening and I really liked what I was hearing!

But maybe we should have this conversation in the topic you opened yesterday... ;)

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-06-12, 12:59:53
I don't have a clue... ;)

OK Tom, I'l send you some. How many do you need ?  I used to sell o's and å's, but I expect a better bizniz with clues  ;D

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-06-12, 12:59:53
But tell me about his music, is it any good? :D

Betcha Tom. Everything from Tubular Bells to Crises is sheer brilliance. Then he got newagy, and I got rocky, so we lost track of each other (or more modestly, I lost track of him).

My fave two albums by MO are QE2 and Exposed. I played them hundreds of times during the 80's. I also went to three concerts with him at the time, which I enjoyed immensely (one was at the Roskilde Festival).

QE2 is an entirely instrumental album - OK there are some voices, but they sing jabberwocky - with a lot of melody and wonderful English folk music mixed in, i.a. bagpipes.

Exposed is a live album with some wonderful spiritual atmospheres and some great electric guitar playing.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-06-12, 13:28:20
OK Tom, I'l send you some. How many do you need ?  I used to sell o's and å's, but I expect a better bizniz with clues  ;D

I don't think your bizniz will be better when dealing in clues, because I really don't have a clue how many I need! And if I don't have a clue, who else around here will? ;D

Betcha Tom. Everything from Tubular Bells to Crises is sheer brilliance. Then he got newagy, and I got rocky, so we lost track of each other (or more modestly: I lost track of him).

My fave two albums are QE2 and Exposed. I played them hundreds of times during the 80's. I also went to three concerts with MO at the time, which I enjoyed immensely (one was at the Roskilde Festival).

QE2 is an entirely instrumental album - OK there are some voices, but they sing jabberwocky - with a lot of melody and wonderful English folk music mixed in, i.a. bagpipes.

Exposed is a live album with some wonderful spiritual atmospheres and some great electric guitar playing.

To be honest this doesn't sound like it would fit in with my musical preferences but I'm willing to give it a try sometime soon, so we'll see!

Tom

Nicky007

Tom, I'm quite sure you'l like his stuff from the Platinum to Crises period. It's actually very rocky, much more than people usually associate with Mike Oldfield. He was one of the most original prog musicians during the 70's and 80's, and one can see him as a precursor to Arena.

Isnt that so, Steve ?

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-06-12, 13:39:02
I don't think your bizniz will be better when dealing in clues, because I really don't have a clue how many I need! And if I don't have a clue, who else around here will? ;D

Right and wrong, Tom. Looks like everybody else here has the clues they need, so you'r the only one who doesnt have any, and I aint gonno base my bizniz on you alone  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can