News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Historic research (PLEASE HELP!!!)

Started by BRUNILLION, Thu, 2007-03-22, 03:02:36

Previous topic - Next topic

BRUNILLION

Hello there!
I am doing a research on the origins of several prog bands, their several lineups and the relation between them (I promise to share the final diagram with all of you), for instance the most obvious to you are the relation between Arena and IQ  (John Jowitt) and the relation between Arena and Pendragon (Clive Nolan... hmm... well.. Clive has relation with a loooooot of bands)

I have a lot of gaps and blanks regarding Arena. For instance, I hve the year on which all the actual and past members joined and/or left the band, but I don't have the month. Furthermore, the band's site mentions Arena was formed in 1995... is there any month I can relate to?

So, what I am asking to you, my dear Arena members, is a little help on the lineups of the bands you have been, and the timeframe of each lineup (from month/year to month/year)

Can you help me out? I promise I will share the final document with all of you

Thanks a LOT!

Bruno

PD: Remember in your last gig in Mexico, when you were signing stuff, a guy who said John Mitchell isn't from this planet? (he can't be THAT good a guitar player!) and a guy that was chanting to Rob (in an "Arenesque" tone) "siiiign me... siiiiign meeee"? well, that was me ;)

PH

Quote from: BRUNILLION on Thu, 2007-03-22, 03:02:36and a guy that was chanting to Rob (in an "Arenesque" tone) "siiiign me... siiiiign meeee"? well, that was me ;)

BRILLIANT!!! ;D

I hope Clive is able to help you out, but if not, there are several fans around here who are dedicated enough to tell you more than you even want to know... ::)

Clive

Chances are some of our listeners will know the dates better than the band! I'm not sure we ever kept a log of 'months'. I remember it was several months between my first meeting with Mick, and our first writing session. Then is was a couple more months before we decided to form a band. It was several months after that before we had a name for the band. So... what moment counts as the beginning of Arena?   ;)

JJ II

When writing the Biography (downloadable for free through The Cage) we encountered this problem as well. We tried to figure it out, but we didn't succeed. Even the persons that were there with Mick and Clive didn't know exactly.

So we decided to go for a different approach: what makes a band a band? I think you can either choose for the release of their first album or the date of their first gig.

To read more: http://www.welcometothecage.com/

BRUNILLION

Quote from: Clive on Thu, 2007-03-22, 09:18:02
Chances are some of our listeners will know the dates better than the band! I'm not sure we ever kept a log of 'months'. I remember it was several months between my first meeting with Mick, and our first writing session. Then is was a couple more months before we decided to form a band. It was several months after that before we had a name for the band. So... what moment counts as the beginning of Arena?   ;)

Hi there!
thanks for the reply... I agree with you. Pointing out a date for the begining of a band can be quite tricky. Someone mentioned yesterday (at another forum):  "The history of Arena starts in 1993 at the McDonalds restaurant in Hemel Hempstead, where Mick
Pointer accidentally meets an editor for the Silhobbit Magazine", but then again, is it right to say that was when Arena was formed? I am considering 1995 as the begining of the band, asuming that was the year when you got together and started playing (and eventually recorded your first album)... but... what month?

Here's the diagram as it shows right now. (it has 2 mistakes: 1) it is not John Wrightson it is Paul Wrightson (that will show me to stop copy-pasting!) and 2)it looks as if "John" Wrightson, Ian Salmon and John Jowitt come out of nowhere... but they come from the still-to-be-developed Jadis/IQ tree, and the Shadowland tree.. as you can guess, I will be asking A LOOOOT more of all your previous and parallel bands ;))

simple right? I just need to fill the blanks on dates and then diagram where do the "new" members come from, and where do the "gone" members left to....

thanks a lot

Brunillion

PD: coming from Mr Clive "redefining-keyboard-playing" Nolan  (or from any member of Arena), ANY month he gives to the missing dates will be taken as official.

JJ II

The "someone mentioned"-quote is in fact a citing from our The Salt and The Sand-biography.  ;)

Read it, and you'll have much more precise details on who was in and out on which dates.

For example: Rob and John Jowitt have only done one acoustic gig (in Delft) together (spring 99) before John decided to leave later that year.

BRUNILLION

Quote from: JJ II on Tue, 2007-04-03, 13:33:07
The "someone mentioned"-quote is in fact a citing from our The Salt and The Sand-biography.  ;)

Read it, and you'll have much more precise details on who was in and out on which dates.

ok... where can I get a copy? is there an on-line version?
thanks a lot for all your help!

PH

Quote from: BRUNILLION on Tue, 2007-04-03, 17:16:11
ok... where can I get a copy? is there an on-line version?
thanks a lot for all your help!

Take a look at The Cage, it's on your right hand.

Glad to help! ;)

wagner

Quote from: JJ II on Tue, 2007-04-03, 13:33:07

For example: Rob and John Jowitt have only done one acoustic gig (in Delft) together (spring 99) before John decided to leave later that year.

Just to let you know mate that the vocaliste after Carson was Paul wrightson not john ...
La Rose noire!
myspace.com/arenaatverglas

BRUNILLION

Quote from: wagner on Fri, 2007-04-06, 18:37:32

Just to let you know mate that the vocaliste after Carson was Paul wrightson not john ...

Yes, I noticed that mistake after sending the diagram... that will show me not to copypaste. Thanks man!

bellanova

Errr...... Its Paul Wrightson not John :D

bellanova

PH

BRUNILLION

Hmm... Carson Paulswright's son?  ;) ok ok ok.. now we're getting silly  :P

Smegal

Quote from: BRUNILLION on Thu, 2007-03-22, 19:52:46
Hi there!
thanks for the reply... I agree with you. Pointing out a date for the begining of a band can be quite tricky. Someone mentioned yesterday (at another forum):  "The history of Arena starts in 1993 at the McDonalds restaurant in Hemel Hempstead, where Mick
Pointer accidentally meets an editor for the Silhobbit Magazine", but then again, is it right to say that was when Arena was formed? I am considering 1995 as the begining of the band, asuming that was the year when you got together and started playing (and eventually recorded your first album)... but... what month?

Here's the diagram as it shows right now. (it has 2 mistakes: 1) it is not John Wrightson it is Paul Wrightson (that will show me to stop copy-pasting!) and 2)it looks as if "John" Wrightson, Ian Salmon and John Jowitt come out of nowhere... but they come from the still-to-be-developed Jadis/IQ tree, and the Shadowland tree.. as you can guess, I will be asking A LOOOOT more of all your previous and parallel bands ;))

simple right? I just need to fill the blanks on dates and then diagram where do the "new" members come from, and where do the "gone" members left to....

thanks a lot

Brunillion

PD: coming from Mr Clive "redefining-keyboard-playing" Nolan  (or from any member of Arena), ANY month he gives to the missing dates will be taken as official.

You seem to have missed out 'Phil Linstead' who never actually featured on any albums but played a couple of gigs between kieth moore leaving and john mitchal joining (Just helping out his mates). I think he went on to writing songs for tv ads with his greatest claim to fame being the 'Shiela's wheels' car insurance advert GENIUS!
MY PRECIOUS

wagner

That's true but we can't not mention the guy who took place after Keith, it would not be fair... ;D
La Rose noire!

BRUNILLION

Quote from: Smegal on Thu, 2007-04-26, 14:58:12
You seem to have missed out 'Phil Linstead' who never actually featured on any albums but played a couple of gigs between kieth moore leaving and john mitchal joining (Just helping out his mates).

Didn't know about him.. can you give me the dates when he played in arena? From MONTH YEAR , to MONTH YEAR...

Thanks a lot!

JJ II

Brunillion, he's making fun of you :-)

wagner

hey there... this is the truth! we have been playing with you ;) JJ's right smegal  is a genius but didn't play with Arena  ;D

ps. Mick says "JJ  Stop spending  English taxes payers money in South Africa... " :D ;D 8)
La Rose noire!

JJ II

Quoteps. Mick says "JJ  Stop spending  English taxes payers money in South Africa... "   

English taxes payers money? I think he means 'Dutch tax payers money' ;)

But since Mick never seems really fond of our 'funny euro money', I thought I'd rather spend it somewhere else.  ;D

wagner

Quote from: JJ II on Wed, 2007-05-09, 15:24:49

English taxes payers money? I think he means 'Dutch tax payers money' ;)

But since Mick never seems really fond of our 'funny euro money', I thought I'd rather spend it somewhere else.  ;D

Mick is looking forward for your funny Euro on the next tour.... JJ  :D ;D
La Rose noire!