News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Recommendations....

Started by gelert, Fri, 2005-01-28, 22:16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Noah on Tue, 2005-05-17, 19:37:10
      DEAD SOUL TRIBE    I simply love their music!

By the way: hi there everyone. My first post here.  ;)
Welcome :)

I heard DST live last year before Threshold played @De Boerderij, Zoetermeer and  wasn't really impressed. Probably the soundguys fault 'cause the music was reaheaheally too loud, my ears hurt so bad  >:( But recently I got an Inside Out cd with some songs on it, incuding one from DST and that one didn't sound that bad :) Still I'm a little reluctant to buy an album.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Noah

@Appelmoes??

You should really give it a try! It's music you have to listen to a few times to get familiar with.
But I guess you have to like that heavier, more "metal" sound to really like their music.
Which I certainly do.. ;-)
And as I'm very much into heavier, darker music, it's that kind of balance between really heavy rhythms and guitars and stuff and that "proggier" side that makes them so special for me.... and the dark lyrics.
But I can't describe music in words anyway!

Oh, and thanks for the welcome.

Appelmoes??

Ah, dark lyrics, well then I will have to read those too before I buy an album.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

NijntjeRocks

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-05-18, 12:35:09
Ah, dark lyrics
Dark as in: black coloured font?

When lyrics are written in a white colour you wont read them first? :P

but honestly, I agree with Appelmoes?? about those dark lyrics, I cant identify myself with a lot of 'dark-lyricced' bands, some lyrics are even disturbing imho.
Not really my kind of thing. Oh, and I also heard DST @De Boerderij before Threshold, liked Threshold way better! ;)
hadnt heard about them before, but since I heard them I seem to encounter these guys occasionnaly now and then.
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Noah

You seem to get it wrong.
Don't panic! Not DARK in that way. Not like Gothic-Dark, you know.
That has got nothing to do with that. More like the darker sides of ourselfs. And maybe a bit pessimistic sometimes.
But I would consider some of the Arena lyrics (Contagion... , The Shattered Room...and many more) as dark, too.
And I don't think they are disturbing!
And on the new album "the january tree" the darker (sorry) lyrics have almost disappeared.
So maybe you guys should start with that one. If you want to, of course.

Hope I haven't put DST into the wrong "image" now.

And if you want dark lyrics you should listen to some Black Metal.  ;)

BlueDragonPT

My friends:

20 cd's for progressive rock/metal fans I recommend for a "newbie":

Dream Theater - Metropolis 2000 Live
Shadow Gallery - Room 5
Neal Morse - Testimony
Transatlantic - Live In Europe
Isildurs Bane - Mind Vol. 4
Spock's Beard - Octane
Pallas - The Blinding Darkness
Pendragon - Live In Krakow
Kino - Picture
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Angra - Temple Of Shadows
Therion - Sirius B & Lemuria
Quidam - Time Beneath The Sky
Arena - Live & Life
RPWL - The World Through My Eyes
Satellite - Evening Games
Ark - Burn The Sun
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
Time Machine - Reviviscence
Threshold - Critical Energy

the heart of a dragon is a river of tears

Deenfan

I highly recommend you give ear to this:

Shadow Gallery - Room V

...or any of their work. I don't know anyone in this world that writes better songs, and the singer is "subtly" the classiest and most plesant Pavarotti I've heard. Hard to explain. He's just brilliant without the big adverts. I don't think he will ever cease to amaze me with his attention to detail, and his ability to do anything required. A great, clean voice, and seemingly limitless range. -Again, not forced down your throat all the time. More something you realize over time.

Ok, they ARE my favourite band!! ;D

www.shadowgallery.com