News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

New Year Resolutions

Started by Clive, Thu, 2005-12-29, 11:46:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

Hope everyone had the Christmas they wished for... :)

Anyone who knows me will be more than aware that I hate 'New Year Celebrations'... I don't see why people are so keen to plunge themselves out of a year that they have just about got the hang of into a whole new world of unexpected problems and disasters. For me, so great things happened this year... why should I want to give them up..?....  ;)

Nevertheless, January 1st 2006 is an inevitablity, so we might as well get on with it....

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone had any New Year Resolutions, that they truly intended to keep to. No need to give me the 'give up smoking on the 1st' routine... that's just doomed from the start. Same with 'the diet starts on Sunday'... trust me that doesn't work either! There's too much tempting food left over (my advice.. wait for an extra week!).

Any thoughts?

maddox

Well, i've quit smoking years ago, so that won't do. And i'm not in need for a diet, so that won't work either. I'm not of a New-Year-Resolutions-freak, so i guess i can't help you here.

*Passing the torch*

Grtz,

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Stuart

I'm generally of the opinion, if you want to, or need to do something, why wait until the start of a new year to begin, just do it! Similarly, it is like those "What would you do if you had 6 months to live?" type questions. If it is worth doing, and something you really want, do it, don't wait around for some other event to trigger you to start. I've seen people work all their lives, with the intention of saving for that 'once in a lifetime' holiday when they retire only to find themselves without the health to make the journey.

kmorse

I resolve to get a copy of "Contagion Max" as soon as it is available.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

maddox

Quote from: kmorse on Thu, 2005-12-29, 15:50:35

Hey, that's a nice one. I think i'll join you.   ;D

MAD.  8)

HelenDo

Yep, similar resolution for me - to fill the gaps in my Arena collection  :)

Helenxxx

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2005-12-29, 15:58:29
Hey, that's a nice one. I think i'll join you.   ;D

MAD.  8)

Me, too!!! :)
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

johninblack

Quote from: kmorse on Thu, 2005-12-29, 15:50:35

Wonderfull idea, mind if I join you?

Wilford Jr.

I resolve to listen to more prog rock in the coming year! ;D
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Appelmoes??

No resolving over here, when you want to do something, just do it :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2005-12-30, 16:55:00
No resolving over here, when you want to do something, just do it :)

My words.... ;)

Anyways, I wish all the band and forum members a very good start into the New Year 2006.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

marcello

Not sure about any resolutions, perhaps just get good GCSE grades (must get contagion the max!) ;D
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

bm

I'm not one for resolutions either, but getting a ticket for the next Arena gig in Yorkshire has to be a must! Fantastic night at the Boardwalk in October, couldn't wait for the next tour so got the wife to buy Live & Life for xmas. Well chuffed!  PS- for the "best of" why not "Valley of the Kings"? As a relatively recent convert this grabbed me by the balls and got my attention on the Verglas sampler album. I'm forever thankful!

johninblack

Quote from: bm on Sat, 2005-12-31, 02:25:19
I'm not one for resolutions either, but getting a ticket for the next Arena gig in Yorkshire has to be a must! Fantastic night at the Boardwalk in October

Totally agree, best night of the year!

keyboardistmatt

I gave up with the 'New Year Resolution' long ago.

I had realised that a 'New Year Resolution' is either:-

1 - Broken within the first week.
2 - Hopelessly impossible to keep, and given up on in the first month.

~or~

3 - Goes so well that after 2 months, you forget what it was, which means you probably just broke it anyway!

;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

maddox

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2006-01-01, 23:31:41
3 - Goes so well that after 2 months, you forget what it was, which means you probably just broke it anyway!

;D

I sense a philosopher in you.  ;D

MAD.  8)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2006-01-01, 23:36:54
I sense a philosopher in you.  ;D

MAD.  8)

Hmmmm... since you put it that way, ...I don't really know! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Wiebe

Clever people in the Shattered Room ...
Good point you made there Clive, what's the point of finishing a year when you just got the hang of it! And Matt: good points! That's the same I experienced.
On the other hand, if 2005 was some kind of disaster (as it was for me) it's not too bad that 2006 just started.
2006 should be a year without any new year resolutions. Just enjoy all the music you have, discover many more (prog)bands, listen to music as much as possible etc.
For me personally: improve my guitar playing skills, enjoy Arena, the Cage and the Shattered Room, enjoy my malt scotch whisky (The Balvenie), enjoy one fag every dag, enjoy nature more, and last but not least: run the Rotterdam Marathon on Sunday, April 9th (I must be mat as a hatter).

Cheers,
Wiebe

PH

Very well spoken Wiebe (and the others before him).

2005 was an outstanding year for me!

1. My girlfriend ;D
2. Kino - Picture :o
3. Arena - Pepper's Ghost :o
4. Dream Theater - Octavarium
5. Pendragon - Believe
6. Stream Of Passion - Embrace The Storm
7. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
8. Pallas - The Dreams Of Men
9. Re-discover Prog generally
10. A lot more.

I think 2005 was musicalwise the best year I ever had.
Can 2006 live up to the legend?

The_Lurker

I resolve to pick up the few Arena CDs I don't have, and also to buy John's Urbane CDs and to see Arena live if they play anywhere within 300 miles of me.

PH

Quote from: The_Lurker on Wed, 2006-01-11, 18:04:06
I resolve to pick up the few Arena CDs I don't have, and also to buy John's Urbane CDs and to see Arena live if they play anywhere within 300 miles of me.

That's also exactly what I wanted to do this year!

I want all studio-albums of Arena and these I still have to buy (and I want them in this order):
- Contagion
- Songs From The Lion's Cage
- Pride

Instead of "Contagion", I'll buy "Contagion The Max". I hope it's almost ready to ship!