News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The song/album/band that introduced you

Started by PH, Wed, 2005-12-21, 20:15:10

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

The first time I got in touch with prog:

Duchess of the album Duke by Genesis

(And then I was carried away to A Trick Of The Tail)

So:
Genesis - Duke - Duchess brought me into prog
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail - Dance On A Volcano brought me into Genesis
Arena - Contagion - Witch Hunt brought me into Arena
Kino - Picture - Losers' Day Parade brought me into Kino
Dream Theater - Octavarium - Octavarium brought me into Dream Theater

StarDuster

Queen for me !!!
Some of their older stuff are prog classics. Quite hard to compare them with anything else ...

Appelmoes??

Ayreon, Nijntje Rock's played Into the Electric Castle at his place, I was solded as soon as I heard the first tunes.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

Probably Marillion - Clutching at straws. I couldn't figure it out after months, so I sold it. Now it's among my fave albums!! ;D

johninblack

Rush - 2112, It had been out for a while so I got A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres all within a month or two, what a treat! and then Moving Pictures came out and just totally blew my mind.

Wilford Jr.

Rush - 2112, Pink Floyd - DSOM, Genesis _ Foxtrot were all albums that got me into progressive rock.  I didn't know what the genre was att he time I just knew that this music was different! :)
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Teunis

After reading a lot of recommendations on the Ayreon list I downloaded 'The butterfly man' on the Arena website. It made me buy 'The Visitor' and after that I collected all their albums. I wish that I discovered this band earlier, but better late than never.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

kmorse

Early Deep Purple
"In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" - Iron Butterfly. It was quite proggy for its time, although at the time, it would have been classifed as "acid rock."
Even music such as "Sgt. Pepper," "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" had their prog moments.

Then I heard "Lucky Man" by EL&P and I was hooked.

Taking cello lessons and being exposed to the music of Bach didn't hurt a bit, either.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Bouge

Actually, I have to say it was probably Arena that started it all for me, probably why they hold such a special place in my heart. It would have been Immortal? first.
I'm not overly fond of that frog. A 12-Gauge Shotgun springs to mind.

Teunis

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2005-12-23, 13:18:26
After reading a lot of recommendations on the Ayreon list I downloaded 'The butterfly man' on the Arena website. It made me buy 'The Visitor' and after that I collected all their albums. I wish that I discovered this band earlier, but better late than never.
I should have read this thread better I guess. This was how I got involved into Arena. With prog it started earlier. Must have been since my brother played Jean-Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Visage, Asia etc. in the eighties. Later on I read a good review of Ayreon's 'Into the Electric Castle' and after I bought that album, I read about Arena on the Ayreon list and so on. My latest prog discovery is IQ  8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

The first time i got into sympho/prog was when i heard Assasin from Marillion. After that Pendragon, Pallas, Genesis and a bunch more followed.

Though i heard some tracks of Alquin in the seventies. Don't know if that counts.

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2005-12-29, 14:02:00
The first time i got into sympho/prog was when i heard Assasin from Marillion.

aaaaah, way cool, man. That's probably exactly what got me started some 18 years ago :)
And I still remember it was the Live version from the Real to Reel album. Darn, can't wait to get home to my stereo!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2005-12-29, 18:03:13
aaaaah, way cool, man. That's probably exactly what got me started some 18 years ago :)
And I still remember it was the Live version from the Real to Reel album. Darn, can't wait to get home to my stereo!

Hehe. This afternoon i had the same feeling. I took the record to the stereo and when the intro started it gave me real goosebumbs. Still, after all those years.  :) :) :)

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Proglady

Well, my first prog LP  ;D was a album from YES, I can't remember the title of the album though.  ??? That was about 29 years ago.  :o  At that time I also listened to Genesis - Foxtrot and Eloy - Power And Passion

keyboardistmatt

Rick Wakeman - "The Battle" from 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth'

Made me listen to the possibilities! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Lee-Anne

It was Ayreon - Into the electric castle

My brother (appelmoes??) was so fond of it that he gave it to me so I could listen it as well..
It took me 2 weeks before I actually listened to it, but when I did I just loved it..
I did had to get used to it..
Pepper's Ghost..

Highfire

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2005-12-29, 14:02:00
The first time i got into sympho/prog was when i heard Assasin from Marillion.
Yes! Assasin was one of the first sympho songs I listened to, although I'm not a Fish-era fan; I also used to listen (still do) to Asia, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELO, Magnum, etc.

Some years ago I became a Dream Theater's fan, and I met modern progg music when a friend of mine told me to listen to Pendragon, Threshold and a band called Arena. He gave me Pride ... then I bought Contagion and ... here I am!!!
We have been chosen...

Smegal

MY PRECIOUS