News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Technology

Started by Higgins III, Sun, 2005-10-09, 01:35:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Higgins III

God bless technology. Thats what i say. Who can live no adays without technology. It has come on leaps and bounds. Keyboards, digital drum kits, guitars, P.A systems, Sound systems, computers, MP3 players, even normal things like lights and the kettle. If we didn't have any of that we would be such a boring world. Well we sort of are anyway but technolgy provides that little bit of excitment and that escape from the problems of the world so we can all get ingrossed in using the technology to do things that no one has ever done before. Technology is great. But not absolutly everyone agrees so let's all have a bit of a chin wag about this. Your all time favorite peice of technology, preferably musically or digitally envolved. It would have to be a computer for me. ;D What about you lot?
...wot does the rest of the alphabet equal?

johninblack

Has to be the microchip. These days just about everything electrical has one, just try to imagine a world without microchips.

Moonloop

Hmm...musical or digital eh..?? Real Ale in a bottle won't qualify then  :(

I'd probably go for the 'remote control' mainly because I can remember the days when you had to get up off your arse to change something  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Higgins III

Both very good answers. BUt i will accept the real ale in a bottle because i agree that is a great thing ;D

Spad

....mmmmmhhhhh.... my fav piece of technology.....

the floor-standing speakers!!!! The bigger they are, the better I feel!!!  :D  :D

(of course pumped-up by a monster-ampli...  ;) )
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Higgins III

oooooooo :o i didn't think of that 1. good choice ;D

keyboardistmatt

The Internet.

Good because it is a very powerful tool.  The things that the Internet is capable of are virtually endless; Communication, data transfer, information searching, gaming...

Bad because it is a very powerful tool.  The things that the Internet is capable of are virtually endless; Communication, data transfer, information searching, gaming...
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Teunis

My home cinema set. The sound of DVD's is so much improving, DTS or 5.1 mixes make it even more fun watching/hearing a DVD.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Vanderwoude

The only nescedary piece of technolgy invented since the 70's is 'digital mastering'

Let's explain this:  ::)

The Genesis albums from the early 70's are simply as good as most of today's prog. albums. But the recording quality wasn't to good back then.
But thanks to 'digital mastering' we can now listen to some of the best music ever made... in good quality  ;D
(It's a pity that 'from genesis to revelation' hasn't be mastered yet  :( )
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-10-09, 13:11:23
The Internet.

Good because it is a very powerful tool.  The things that the Internet is capable of are virtually endless; Communication, data transfer, information searching, gaming...

Bad because it is a very powerful tool.  The things that the Internet is capable of are virtually endless; Communication, data transfer, information searching, gaming...

HAHAHAHA Agreed!!! :D

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Sun, 2005-10-09, 14:28:17
(It's a pity that 'from genesis to revelation' hasn't be mastered yet  :( )

Point 1... Generally, an album must be mastered to be commercially released.
Point 2... I have seen 'From Genesis To Revalation' on CD, which means it has been digitally mastered to be on CD in the first place! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Vanderwoude

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-10-09, 14:41:35
Point 1... Generally, an album must be mastered to be commercially released.
Point 2... I have seen 'From Genesis To Revalation' on CD, which means it has been digitally mastered to be on CD in the first place! :)

Point 1... Ehh.. sorry I mean digitally remastered, I think, those terms are used over and over in commercials in The Netherlands so I was a bit confused  ???
Point 2... Putting the music on cd doesn't mean that they autimatical should revise the quality, that should have been logical though. But I haven't seen the cd for myself.

Moonloop

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Sun, 2005-10-09, 15:21:13
Point 1... Ehh.. sorry I mean digitally remastered, I think, those terms are used over and over in commercials in The Netherlands so I was a bit confused  ???
Point 2... Putting the music on cd doesn't mean that they autimatical should revise the quality, that should have been logical though. But I haven't seen the cd for myself.

I used to own it. It isn't really very good, remastered or not. Interesting certainly, but not one which would have you reaching out for the 'repeat' button....

Moonloop

Actually...now I think about it, they did recently issue a 2CD version of it which I assume would be remastered. Check out :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=cdtitle&searchstring=genesis+revelation&page=search&Go.x=39&Go.y=11

PH

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Sun, 2005-10-09, 15:21:13

I have the CD but on it it says the following:

This Compact disc is not digitally recorded.

This means that they just copied the anologue stuff onto a digital CD.

Genesis is actually busy with digitally remastering some of their albums. (The Lamb, Foxtrot and Selling England, if I recall correctly...)

@Moonloop:
Some of the songs are GREAT, if they made it ten years later, it would be a hit! Seriously!

Vanderwoude

Quote from: Moonloop on Sun, 2005-10-09, 15:25:55
Actually...now I think about it, they did recently issue a 2CD version of it which I assume would be remastered. Check out :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=cdtitle&searchstring=genesis+revelation&page=search&Go.x=39&Go.y=11

Hmm.. nice to have, but there isn't (Remastered) in the title, in some of the other releases there is.

Moonloop

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2005-10-09, 15:26:40

@Moonloop:
Some of the songs are GREAT, if they made it ten years later, it would be a hit! Seriously!

"But Seriously" maybe..??  ;D

(sorry - poor pun)

Maybe they could re-record them for a reunion album - wonder how many people would notice...!!!!

;D

PH

That would be nice indeed.

I thought it was "In The Wilderness" with the beautiful piano...

*sings* "Music, all I hear is music, guaranteed to please..."

rocker666

Most technology is great....usually it exists to make life easier

Not that keen on mobile phones....but that's because of the ruination of the English language through "text-speak"

My current favourite is my iPod....20GB, nearly full of everything I like, just seem to be listening to so much more music these days, plug it in to my car stereo, have it on all afternoon at work etc etc

Si
Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man

Vanderwoude

Quote from: Moonloop on Sun, 2005-10-09, 15:46:56

Maybe they could re-record them for a reunion album - wonder how many people would notice...!!!!

I think that would be really great, I have thought that wonderful thought  :P before. Maybe I should contact Peter and friends.  ::)

PH

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Sun, 2005-10-09, 18:19:57
I think that would be really great, I have thought that wonderful thought  :P before. Maybe I should contact Peter and friends.  ::)

I heard that others contacted Peter & Co. but they said that they'd never do something like that. :'(

Vanderwoude

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2005-10-09, 18:36:30
I heard that others contacted Peter & Co. but they said that they'd never do something like that. :'(

auch... that hurts

Xanxtuary

Quote from: rocker666 on Sun, 2005-10-09, 16:06:16
Most technology is great....usually it exists to make life easier

Not that keen on mobile phones....but that's because of the ruination of the English language through "text-speak"

Have to agree with this ... a generation of children will gro up not no-ing how to spel proply thx 2 txt msg!  >:(

QuoteMy current favourite is my iPod....20GB, nearly full of everything I like, just seem to be listening to so much more music these days, plug it in to my car stereo, have it on all afternoon at work etc etc

Si

Again ... have to agree.  I bought my first MP3 player in 2000, it only held 64 kb worth and I had to get loads of extra memory cards, but I am on my third MP3 player (Creative Zen - the rival to IPod) and it's brilliant.  I have nearly 40 full albums on there and it's nowhere near full!
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

PH

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-10-09, 23:54:10
Have to agree with this ... a generation of children will gro up not no-ing how to spel proply thx 2 txt msg!  >:(

LOL that one made me laugh! :D

I want an MP3-player but I still see no advantages besides it's small.

+'s:
- it's small
- there's 512 MB on a MP3-player (at least more than an audiodisc :P)

-'s:
- there's no point in using that small thing, it's dangerous to listen to it while riding the bike i.e.
- My discman can play MP3 too, it can have 700 MB on one disc which is more than 512 MB (yes, I did that without a calculator).

There are not that many +'s that lift up to the -'s really.

rocker666

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-10, 00:05:26

I want an MP3-player but I still see no advantages besides it's small.

- there's 512 MB on a MP3-player (at least more than an audiodisc :P)

There are not that many +'s that lift up to the -'s really.

Ermmmm, there#s way more than 512MB on a LOT of MP3's - like my 20GB iPod for example

Si

Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man