News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Greatest and Strangest bands

Started by Higgins III, Thu, 2005-09-15, 01:47:41

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Herben on Fri, 2005-11-04, 18:18:35
I just discovered a band named Queens of the stone age, a nice band, it's not progressive more a band like Status Quo, just rockmusic maybe a bit heavier but nice. Someone at my work liked it very much so I looked it up on a downloadsite, but it surprised me that it's nice music.

I know Queens Of The Stone Age.  Their drummer is Dave Grohl. (Foo Fighters guitarist/singer, also Ex Nirvana drummer)
They had a hit single in the UK called "No One Knows" from the album 'Songs For The Deaf' (2002)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Appelmoes??

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2005-11-04, 22:45:01
I know Queens Of The Stone Age.  Their drummer is Dave Grohl. (Foo Fighters guitarist/singer, also Ex Nirvana drummer)
They had a hit single in the UK called "No One Knows" from the album 'Songs For The Deaf' (2002)
I know them too from a little hit in the Netherlands, don't know the song but I liked it a little bit. (Which mean I didn't bitch about at my friends like I do with Britney Spears songs :P)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

marcello

I dont think that they are the greatist band, but you must listen to this song:

http://www.thevac.co.uk/cgi-bin/play1.cgi?file=sexissainsburys.mp3&path=theliars&secs=0&artist=The%20Liars&title=Sex%20is%20Sainsburys

For more interesting acoustic bands including "The Liars" this website can be visited

http://www.thevac.co.uk/cgi-bin/radio.cgi
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

keyboardistmatt

I nearly changed my strangest bands selection earlier, but I decided that Manowar & Lordi still top the Strangest Bands vote, in my eyes at least! ;D

Bouge

Marcello, I gave you that website! The liars are good, not the best, but are palatable.
I'm not overly fond of that frog. A 12-Gauge Shotgun springs to mind.

keyboardistmatt

"Sex Is Sainsbury's" is amazing! ;D

Bouge

It is indeed, I discovered it (and told Marcello about it) while looking around http://www.musicianshop.com
I'm not overly fond of that frog. A 12-Gauge Shotgun springs to mind.

marcello

I didnt know there was a link to this site on musicianshop  ;D

When your feeling down, this is the best song to cheer you up
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

Xanxtuary

NIN (Nine Inch Nails), Godflesh, Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Bruxinha, Totentanz ... all very odd bands.  I quite like them (except for the latter two) but have to be in the right mood to appreciate them.

Greatest is subjective ... tis enough to say that by reading some of my other posts this is pretty obvious to determine ... and my opinions are never humble!  :P
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

PH

maddox

Manowar, Crimson Glory and Motorhead are all i can think of for now...and they're all strange...

Oh, yeah, in the late-eighties i saw some pictures of a band (have no cleu what the name was) with a female singer, with, ehm, not much clothes on. Music was described, as i recall correctly, as hardrock, but never heard a thing of them. They looked really weird.  :o

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-11-06, 16:54:30
NIN (Nine Inch Nails), Godflesh, Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Bruxinha, Totentanz ... all very odd bands.  I quite like them (except for the latter two) but have to be in the right mood to appreciate them.

Greatest is subjective ... tis enough to say that by reading some of my other posts this is pretty obvious to determine ... and my opinions are never humble!  :P

I must say, I quite like NIN.  Trent Reznor is a bit of a genius, it turns out... :)

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-11-06, 21:26:00
I must say, I quite like NIN.  Trent Reznor is a bit of a genius, it turns out... :)

I heard a remix by Frank Klepacki of one of NIN's songs. I believe it was the song 'only'.
It was a nice remix, but I've never heard any other songs.

(If you want to hear the remix by the famous(?) Frank K., you should check www.frankklepacki.com and hit the songs of the month section-button)
Entertaining!

Herben

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2005-11-06, 20:59:46
Motorhead are all i can think of for now...and they're all strange...MAD.  8)
Motorhead isn't that strange, very popular in the Netherlands every real metal/hardrockfan knows Motorhead otherwise there not hardrock/metalfan. I've once seen them live at the Oerkracht festival, they were playing in a tent, but it was to warm to go in there, a lot of them who were in the tent were carried away because of the warmth (outside it was about 30 degrees celsius), so we didn't go into the tent we could see them from just outside, they were very good.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Herben

I also know a band named Tool, I once read that Mick Pointer liked this band very much. It's also a different sort of music.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-11-07, 19:15:40
I also know a band named Tool, I once read that Mick Pointer liked this band very much. It's also a different sort of music.

Tool are an amazing band!  The cover for the Lateralus album is one of the best album covers I have seen! 
Favorite Tool track:- "Schism" :)

Deenfan

The greatest strange band I know of must be Psychotic Waltz!

And they sound just like that, too...

First album: A social grace. -Very progressive. Chaotic and insane. An absolute underground classic. MEGAfantastic lyrics!!!!
Second album: Into the everflow. -Calmer, heavier and more beautiful. Not much less insane. More wonderful lyrics!!
Third album: Mosquito. -Yes, it does sound raspier. Even heavier, much less progressive and less moody. Still a good album, especially after all these years. Quite the underdog.
Fourth and last album: Bleeding. Heavier and tighter. FAN-TAS-TIC songs, and BRILLIANT lyrics, and much less noisy. A bit more mainstream than previous albums, as far as that word can be used here at all. So it's less unique than the debut, but holy cow, it is pretty obviously their best. What a way to say goodbye.

The best ting about the first album is the way he displays skills he's learned from his "teacher", Ian Anderson. Yes, there's a lot of flute going on, and he can really do it. The man I'm talking about is the artist formerly known as Buddy Lackey. Now, Devon Graves. Ayreon, anyone?

sotonrobin

One of the Strangest bands has to be The Tubes.

Their live shows  involve anything from mock bondage rituals, simulated
sex, to 12-foot high rock  stars exploding televisions, chainsaws  The Tubes were  light years ahead of being  politically correct.   
The Tubes don't simply entertain, they present a  head-on theatrical
onslaught, taking popular culture by the scruff of the neck,  turning it upside down,
and making it entertainment. . 

Tubes  concerts feature the ever-versatile front man Fee  Waybill adopting a
variety of larger-than-life personas including  the  crippled Nazi Dr.
Strangekiss, country singer Hugh Heifer, and  the  legendary Quay Lewd - an
androgynous drug-inflicted British pop star sporting an  outrageous Ziggy Stardust
blonde wig and two foot high platform boots. 
Great Tubes classics  include the erotic fetish  themes of 'Mondo Bondage',
the naughtiness of 'Don't Touch Me There', the  hilarious quiz show parody
'What Do You Want From Life', and the  ever-controversial anti-drug anthem 'White
Punks On  Dope'.     

THE TUBES will be at South Parade Pier on Monday  28th November. Doors open
at 8 p.m and tickets are £12. Tickets will be on sale  from Saturday (29th
October) at The Wedgewood Rooms Box Office (023) 9286 3911,  Reflex Records,
Albert Rd., Southsea, South Parade Pier general office (023)  9273 2283, .

Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Higgins III

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sat, 2005-11-05, 22:34:06
"Sex Is Sainsbury's" is amazing! ;D

Ok....I really don't want to know what my brother gets up to at work. Save it for later please. :)
...wot does the rest of the alphabet equal?

Xanxtuary

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-11-07, 19:15:40

Tool are excellent.  They are usually classified as prog metal.  They can be hard to get into and are definitely an acquired taste, but well worth the effort.  Lateralus (their last studio album) is probably the best one to start with and then maybe work backwards.

An offshoot band from Tool are A Perfect Circle, featuring the same singer/songwriter (Maynard James Keenan) but they aren't so heavy, they are more melodic and easier to get into. 

Both bands have some very ... erm ... quirky cover art for their CDs.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

keyboardistmatt

Did you know...

Remove the Lateralus CD from the case, and put the plastic case back inside the black sleeve.

Hold the package up to the light and look through the CD case...

It looks 3D to me! ;)

Herben

Some other band is the "pre Ayreon band" Vengeance, their credo was if You don't like hardrock then You never heard Vengeance. I think Vengeance already were progressive Hardrock back in the eighties. I like all their cd's especially the last ones, "Arabia" and "Back from flight 19". Also the artwork of Back from flight 19 is magnificent, You can feel world war 2 in it. Arabia has some fine songs like Castles in the air and Arabia.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-11-21, 23:14:24
Some other band is the "pre Ayreon band" Vengeance, their credo was if You don't like hardrock then You never heard Vengeance. I think Vengeance already were progressive Hardrock back in the eighties. I like all their cd's especially the last ones, "Arabia" and "Back from flight 19". Also the artwork of Back from flight 19 is magnificent, You can feel world war 2 in it. Arabia has some fine songs like Castles in the air and Arabia.
I like Take it or Leave it more. Rock 'n Roll Shower is such a great song! And it was used for a radio jingle. That means the got airplay! :D
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

JJ1

In my humble opinion surely the greatest and the srangest band has to be Mr Bungle.  The eponymous album is pure prog (great songs in any style with amazing arrangements) whilst managing to be very rude, and who else could successfully meld surf music, world music an heavy metal as they did on California?
"...never ever bloody anything ever."

JJ II

I think I have to mention Ditrbox here then,..... VERY strange...  ;D

(and VERY Arena-related, I may add...)