News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Greatest and Strangest bands

Started by Higgins III, Thu, 2005-09-15, 01:47:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Higgins III

I was looking through my large collection of music and just stopped to think of all the different bands over the years that have had 1 hit wonders and dissappeared and other that started decades ago and are still fighting strong. Then it occured to me that out of all those bands could come a very interesting conversation and debate. The greast bands ever and the strangest bands ever. Its all open for you all.
...wot does the rest of the alphabet equal?

Higgins III

For me there are is 1 totally obvious choice for greatest - Queen. They started up when they were just wee boys (more or less), and they are still heard of and loved the world over.

For the strangest there are many but lately i have noticed the physical appearance of bands such as slip knot and marrilon manson (sorry if i spelt that wrong. Im tired). But here is one band who are a strange combination. Strange in looks, but not a bad sound - LORDI. LORDI are a band from finland but most if not all songs are translated into english. I strongly advise checking it out at the link below.

www.lordi.org

I was going to say Spice Girls. There all pretty strange. (Bloody weirdo's) But thats a bit over the top. Don't you think?

Peter

I found "Doctor and the Medics" to be the strangest band to have ever stumbled upon.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Higgins III

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2005-09-15, 10:59:42
I found "Doctor and the Medics" to be the strangest band to have ever stumbled upon.

The face paint was great! ::)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Higgins III

I can't do face paint or make up. On me or anyone else. If i do it i end up looking like kiss when their drunk and stoned and i end up with an inch thick cake of make-up on one side of my face. Which is why i reframe from using make up at gigs. That way i don't look like a totaly prat. Like my lead singer. He's a bit..........strange. ;D

Teunis

My all time favorite band and greatest band is Toto, as you can see. My strangest band is Madness. All those guys behind each other at the song 'One step beyond'. Funny, so now and then it's nice to hear it.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Moonloop

Strangest, definitely "Gwar"  :o

Greatest, for me, gotta be U2.  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

gelert

Strangest has to be "Cardiacs"...I saw them supporting IQ @ Whitchurch, in nineteen-ninety-something-or-other...

...I dismissed them as a full-on "Poisoned-Electric-Head-meets-Madness" clones (!)...

But after a couple of numbers, heard from outside the venue, I ventured inside (along with a goodly number of equally biased, er, biased proggers)...

...what a show...what a band...what a chemical-free trip...!!!!!

I recommend "A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window" or "Heaven Born And Ever Bright".

Alternatively, just light the chillum...
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Emilia

My..!!! this Lordi thing looks scary ..heeee...
Greates - QUEEN (am I repeating myself ? ;)
Strangest - maybe Marylin Manson (anyone here likes MM - not to be mixed with M. Monroe  ;D), generally most of black metal bands are a bit strange ... I remember one with a strange name - Tsathoggua or something? anyone ever hear of it ? but they looked really strange, at least in the photo I found in some metal music magazine.
E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Emilia on Thu, 2005-10-06, 10:54:41
... I remember one with a strange name - Tsathoggua or something? anyone ever hear of it ? but they looked really strange, at least in the photo I found in some metal music magazine.
E.

That could be Meshugga?  But I may well be wrong there!

There is a band called Meshugga though. :)

Moonloop

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2005-10-06, 15:37:57
That could be Meshugga?  But I may well be wrong there!

There is a band called Meshugga though. :)

Had one of their albums. Stunning, intense musicianship but couldn't cope with the death-metal vocals  >:( . Pity as it was pretty damn good musically.

Emilia

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-10-07, 08:51:47
Had one of their albums. Stunning, intense musicianship but couldn't cope with the death-metal vocals >:( . Pity as it was pretty damn good musically.
Certainly it was TSATHOGGUA - German Black Metal, but I guess they disappeared from the scene ... however, they looked a bit scary ...dont know about the music though.... but must have been the same  ;D
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Emilia

I just remembered another... their name was (is?) Dimmu Borgir, I guess their musc is similar to the one I mentioned in my previous post. How about that cuties ?  ;D
http://home.online.no/~franholm/dimmu/pictures23/images/128_jpg.jpg
http://home.online.no/~franholm/dimmu/pictures23/images/134_jpg.jpg
Any ..one..??? Dimmu...?
Emilia

CygnusX1

Was just listening to some Japan recently, I reckon they fit the strange and great bill quite nicely.  Always a bit weird that they got labelled as New Romantics - probably just because of their flopsy hair. :D

sotonrobin

To me the greatest band has to be "Led Zeppelin".

When I was at school I thought the strangest band had to be 'Sparks', I have soon learn't the errors of my ways.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Moonloop

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Fri, 2005-10-07, 12:43:10
Was just listening to some Japan recently, I reckon they fit the strange and great bill quite nicely.  Always a bit weird that they got labelled as New Romantics - probably just because of their flopsy hair. :D

"Oil On Canvas" is a great live album  ;D

Recently bought all the remasters - bought back a few memories  8)

CygnusX1

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-10-07, 13:47:40
"Oil On Canvas" is a great live album  ;D

Recently bought all the remasters - bought back a few memories  8)

My older brother's band used to play a cover of "Adolescent Sex" quite a lot (they were teenagers at the time too ;D ).

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-10-07, 08:51:47
Had one of their albums. Stunning, intense musicianship but couldn't cope with the death-metal vocals  >:( . Pity as it was pretty damn good musically.

I have a few bands like that, though!  I have a stronger tolerance to metal vocals!

Higgins III

I have learned to ignore the metal vocals to my band because the singer and ex-guitarist seems to only be able to do metal vocals *cough* (Not very well) *cough*. But ignoring bad vocals has shown me how to enjoy and admire good metal vocals sush as Killswitch Engage and Chimaira amoung others.

Higgins III

Oh and by the way i strongly recommend you all check out Killswitch engage. Such a good band

keyboardistmatt

There is a couple of strange bands... none of which I own...

Manowar... cheesy 'we are heroes' rock

Lordi... see above, but without the 'we are heroes' bit.

Moonloop

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-10-12, 22:56:35
There is a couple of strange bands... none of which I own...

Manowar... cheesy 'we are heroes' rock

Ah yes...the "death to false metal" brigade  :D

Didn't they sign their first record label in their own blood ..?? Do seem to remember reading that back in the days when I used to buy Kerrang  ;D

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-13, 09:10:27
Ah yes...the "death to false metal" brigade  :D

Didn't they sign their first record label in their own blood ..?? Do seem to remember reading that back in the days when I used to buy Kerrang  ;D

"...Stand and fight - <ba da ba tishhh!!>" ::) :-X

Herben

I just discovered a band named Queens of the stone age, a nice band, it's not progressive more a band like Status Quo, just rockmusic maybe a bit heavier but nice. Someone at my work liked it very much so I looked it up on a downloadsite, but it surprised me that it's nice music.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land