News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Question about spoken word in "Solomon" (plus other ?s)

Started by psychopomp95, Tue, 2005-05-24, 10:47:51

Previous topic - Next topic

psychopomp95

Having listened to this fantastic tune many times now, I've always been curious about the words that are being spoken, in a thick Scottish brogue, underneath all of the mellotron, at about the 3:30 mark of the song! In fact, I have two questions about that:
a) what is being said? I can make out a few words but can't quite put it all together!
b) WHO is doing the speaking?? I had assumed the band found a Sean Connery soundalike and got him to do the lines... but it's a VERY good impersonation if so! And then, just today, I was reading the liner notes to 'Lion's Cage', and saw a thanks to a "Mr. Connery".... so did the band actually get the man himself to say those words?? If so, that's pretty impressive (how many bands could make that claim? ;))! Or is it just a sample of dialogue from one of his movies?
Just curious... it's one of the many fascinating things about this song (I won't even start into "what does it mean?", since I don't know the FULL background on Solomon himself other than he uncovered infinite knowledge through some means or another which escapes me at this time)... I do know that I can hear a juxtaposition of some epic, more 'typical' prog-rock lyrical imagery with some much more personal, bitter prose, which really comes to the forefront at the end of the song!
I hope I haven't overanalyzed this song to death, but it merits it! :D
By the way, what is Keith More doing now?

Appelmoes??

Who makes these choises
Who makes the final stand

I think...
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Fury

Interesting question. I have always wondered what the man is saying as well.
Clearly he says 'who makes these choices' etc, but he's saying something else besides that.
Now that the question has been asked I am suddenly very eager to know the answer!
Anyone?
Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?

psychopomp95

"who makes these choices... who makes the final stand" does sound right... but there's other words in there, too!
And as I said, I'm equally interested in WHO is doing the speaking! ;)

Clive

The lyrics are:

Who makes these choices
When wisdom is more than age or reason
who makes these choices
Who waves the final hand

Which was taken from Crying for Help IV.
John (Carson) did a great Sean impersonation.... so I got him to do that during this section of Solomon. He was probably cheaper than the man himself, although that would have been excellent!  :)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Clive on Mon, 2005-05-30, 10:52:17
Who makes these choices
When wisdom is more than age or reason
who makes these choices
Who waves the final hand
Hmm, 2/5... Not bad :P
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

Ah no...! It's all ruined now...

I thought that it was Sean Connery, during The Intermission, talking to an usherette...

"Who makes these Choc-Ices"
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

psychopomp95

Thanks for the info, Clive! :) Yeah, a very nice Mr. Connery impersonation indeed... maybe there's a career for him there? ;)

The Fury

Ah, now I finally know, after 7 years. Thanks Clive!
That's one mystery of the universe unveiled!! More to come!
Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?