News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

19-11-2011: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

Started by The Butterfly Man, Thu, 2011-02-03, 19:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

debsss

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2011-11-20, 14:25:20
Phew! It seems you had a great time! ;)

Oh Yess I did!!!  ;D

Normally I post only sjort replies but this time I made an exception;-)
And I make one for the revieuws about the albums you ask me. So in a few days there will be more longer posts from me!

BTW.... Haven't seen you there are at the gig.... or..... you stood behind me in the centre, in front of the stage... there stood a younger guy, I gues by the age of 24/25, brown/reddish hair and a girlfriend who had long dark hair... Can you confirm?

PH

Quote from: debsss on Sun, 2011-11-20, 14:52:10
Oh Yess I did!!!  ;D

Normally I post only sjort replies but this time I made an exception;-)
And I make one for the revieuws about the albums you ask me. So in a few days there will be more longer posts from me!

Great! Looking forward to it!

Quote from: debsss on Sun, 2011-11-20, 14:52:10
BTW.... Haven't seen you there are at the gig.... or..... you stood behind me in the centre, in front of the stage... there stood a younger guy, I gues by the age of 24/25, brown/reddish hair and a girlfriend who had long dark hair... Can you confirm?

I wish I could, but I wasn't there. :(

erik

My post certainly wasn't intended as simply discarding Rob, he has a great voice, was a member for no less than three subsequent albums (a record unmatched so far) and is the singer on two out of three live albums and both live DVD's. Especially on Contagion his vocals are a crucial, core element of a perfect album, just marvellous (more about that tomorrow in the review series).  His Solar album also gets regular play here. On stage Paul Manzi just seems more in his element than Rob, is what I meant to say.

What Nicky expressed in his post is exactly what I felt when Paul Wrightson and John Jowitt left after The Visitor (even more so, having gotten to know them in person). A crucial album and period of the band for me as a fan - and then suddenly the band line up changes drastically. So I really sympathise with what Nicky and Paco have said here.

I guess I have become more used to it over all these years, following the band from the very start. Basically I've come to regard the line up changes as the opening of yet another exciting new chapter in Arena's history and although it means we have to miss Rob, Ian and also Paul, I think it's a promising new chapter that has started now.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

debsss

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2011-11-20, 15:37:55
I wish I could, but I wasn't there. :(
Not nice....... :(
You were also one of the guys who, I  thought, would be there!
But.. never the less I met Tom!!  ;)
At least one of you guys haha.
Hope the next gig I meet more of the roomies  ;D

Niquicho

Quote from: erik on Sun, 2011-11-20, 16:24:53
- and then suddenly the band line up changes drastically. So I really sympathise with what Nicky and Paco have said here.

Perhaps accepting the line up changes could have been made easier with a proper explanation from the remaining guys about the reasons? Clive did mention something in the interview at StroudFM regarding Rob's departure (but that was months after the first anouncement.) And I still haven't a clue why Ian left. (That could be my lack of knowledge, of course.)

erik

Don't know the reasons for Ian's departure either. I know he has a day job and of course he is nog longer part of Shadowland either. Maybe he just couldn't combine things anymore. And John Jowitt was available as an excellent replacement.

Rob's departure has been motivated with musical differences, fair enough I guess given Arena's heavier direction as opposed to his quite poppy solo stuff under the name Robert Sebastian.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Alle Jansen

Hee everyone.

My english is poor, bad and sad,  so I said a few words about the last gig......

IT WAS WONDERFULL and POWERFULL. *horns* :D *horns* :D *horns* :D
Good to see the boys again ( 8 times now)

I have a great time  and I wish I had read all the post here, before I went to Zoetermeer.
Yes we should have been  talk about a  meeting point to see eachother
To bad we didnt.
So, I still dont know who  Debsss is, an all of you dont know who I am.  Next time ( and that will come) we meet hopefully. :P

RenetheCage

Hi all,

I agree, don't know many of you I suppose ! Though nicknames don't make it easier !

During the concert I have filmed some of the songs. Am still uploading to youtube, now 2 songs are available. Perhaps
you want to check it out ? Links are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jBeDg3o3w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geo_98jOsrs

Rene

The Butterfly Man

Wow, it was great wasn't it? I think the setlist was really good. Crying For Help IV, Valley Of The Kings, Ghost In The Firewall and of course the new songs were some of the superb ingredients of a memorable night. Paul has a great voice, you can really hear the new songs were written with his voice in mind... something that can't be said of the older songs of course. This is where Paul still has some work to do in my opinion, but this is just a minor gripe. The guys were in great spirit, you could clearly see that they had lots of fun on stage.

And, like a true fanboy, I got my copy of The Seventh Degree signed by all the guys afterwards. It was great to get to talk to Paul by the way, he really is a nice and down-to-earth guy. :)

It was also nice to meet Debsss and of course my 'bungalow-mates' from last Marillionweekend (you know who you are ;)).

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

debsss

There's just one thing I was wondering about....

At this gig at the boerderij. I wasn't standing at the front row so I couldn't see everthing.... but I saw 2 pictures of John M barefoot..... I don't know if these foto's were taken at the end of the gig or...  But strangely I get the idea he stood there the whole gig barefoot.... It was really hot inthere but in the middle of november barefoot..... Maybe only after many many many beers...  :o ;D.  Did anybody else see this?

tired_of_dancing

Well, from the gig in Lorsch I'd conclude that he did the whole show barefoot.
I had a very good place in front and enjoyed watching his guitar skills. And from time to time my view felt on his feet.
What was a pleasure too, well formed. :)

I know Gail Anne Dorsay does too.
'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

bellanova

John was barefoot at Leamington too. On the Contagion tour he was bare footed also

wwetzels

Maybe a question that is not in place here, but I was wondering if someone taped or filmed this show?

I am a big fan of Arena and I' m collection live gigs of them

Regards,

debsss

Quote from: wwetzels on Sun, 2011-12-04, 18:36:25
Maybe a question that is not in place here, but I was wondering if someone taped or filmed this show?

You could take a look on YT..... there are many parts of this gig ;-)