News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Amaseffer's second!

Started by maddox, Fri, 2009-06-12, 22:16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Yes, it's official as you can read on DPRP's newspage:

Amaseffer is recording their new record, which is going to be the second part of their Exodus-trilogy.  *horns*

Quote from: DPRP News PageAMASEFFER: Israel's Amaseffer is currently working in a new album:
We are now in pre-production stages of our new album (which is the second part of our Biblical trilogy). Three songs are ready and finished, including Mats vocals and so far we are extremely happy with them. The new songs are direct continuation to our debut "Slave for Life" but yet again, much heavier and in your face, so expect a big surprise with the new album. We hope to finish the album by the end of this summer and hoping to release it by the end of the year or beginning of next year at the most.

In other news Amaseffer is leaving InsideOut/SPV. Due to reasons preserved to ourselves we have decided not to implement the rest of our contract with InsideOut/SPV. We are now in negotiations with new record labels and will post news regarding that soon.

That's great news, indeed.  *horns*

To bad they have left Inside Out, though.

Me = Anxiously waiting!  8) 8) 8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Ahh interesting! (Leaning towards the "amazing" side)

Nicky007

Yeah, this is a band that really has potential. They have a very special sound and mission in rock.

However, I hope they improve on the singing. That has been their Achilles heel imo  :-\

My experience in progworld is that people who don't have English as their more or less native language don't notice this problem as much, but the reality is that if a group wants to appeal to US, UK, Australian etc proggies, they simply have to get a singer who either masters English or is willing to do the hard work of learning English perfectly, and even beyond, cause s/he'l be competing with and will be compared with terrific singers like Geoff Tate, Warrel Dane, and Russ Allen.

If ya go out on Amazon and read reviews, you'l see this problem mentioned again and again.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-06-13, 07:59:41
If ya go out on Amazon and read reviews, you'l see this problem mentioned again and again.

Quite so, old stick.  It's one thing to have to listen to Johnny Foreigner bleating on for a whole album about oppressed peoples and all that stuff, but you'd think they'd have the decency to do it in the Queen's English.  Come on chaps, it's just not cricket!

Welcome to western civilisation, we at the Coca-Cowell Corporation hope you enjoy your stay.  Please surrender your existing vocalist at the Homeland Security desk and download one of the following pre-approved radio-friendly replacements:

• Nickelback
  • Céline
  • Coldplay
  • Yo! Muddafugga!

Only kidding, folks!  I'm sure brown-shirted xenophobes aren't really goose-stepping the cyber-corridors of amazon.com ;) ;D ;D ;)

Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

;D Nice one, Jonesy  :)

... but I know what I´m talkin about  ;)

There are several reasons why American proggies don't listen much to prog from places outside of North America, one of the major ones being "the language problem"  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-06-13, 09:40:36
There are several reasons why American proggies don't listen much to prog from places outside of North America, one of the major ones being "the language problem"  :-\

There are also several reasons why non-American proggies don't listen much to prog from places inside of North America, one of the major ones being that they always sound the same. :-\

When I listen to Satellite for instance, I think the singer is really good. The lyrics aren't always that great, because English isn't their native language (they're Polish, for anyone who reads this and doesn't know Satellite... poor you... ;) ) but I absolutely don't care, because they are so different from anything else I know.
Same goes for A.C.T (excellent Swedish band!! Poor souls who don't know them yet: buy all of their albums right away!), Ayreon (Dutch/multinational band), etc. etc....

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2009-06-13, 10:56:52
There are also several reasons why non-American proggies don't listen much to prog from places inside of North America ...

How about Dream Theater ?  Or Tool, Queensrÿche, or SyX, Paxi ?  These are bands that sell in the millions, also in Europe.

Imo the best progmetal comes from the US these days, musically and certainly lyrically - and in fact there are a lot of European proggies who agree with this.

Of course, we're talking about taste, and lots of other proggies consider Swedish or other progmetal the best, but we can't run from facts  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-06-13, 09:40:36

???  As the pet American here, I can't help but be puzzled by this statement.  Until recently I barely even knew there was any North American prog.  OK, I did know Kansas from way back.  As I'm sure I've said before, almost all my favorite older prog was from the U.K.  Granted, they allegedly have English as the native language there. More recently I've heard many excellent prog bands from a lot of other places (even one or two from the U.S.  :o) . I've noticed a few cases where the accenting on the English singing has seemed odd (I mentioned that before with Demians), although it doesn't necessarily spoil the music.  A lot of the best bands I've come across in the past couple years (basically since I reconnected seriously with prog) have been Scandinavian, and not only has there not been what I consider to be a language problem, but I've been quite impressed with how good the English is.  On the whole, I've only noticed a few bands, where the English is notably off.  A few have what I'd call slight accents indicative of the singer not being a native-English speaker, but that doesn't usually bother me -- sometimes it even makes it sound a little more distinctive and interesting to me (Riverside is a good example of this).

- Green Aquatic Citizen of the World
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2009-06-13, 10:56:52
... one of the major ones being that they always sound the same. :-\

Isnt that the way it is with all serious music (of course, not pop) that one hasnt immersed oneself in, Paxi:  It sounds like a uniform grind. You only start hearing the music after several listens  ;)

Most of my fave music has started out being something I was averse to.

And my experience is that it's the same with ideas: If people revolt against some unorthodox idea (e.g. reincarnation), then they'v reached the point where it's become a familiar concept, and these are the people who return later and wanna hear more; the people who ignore such an idea are far from even reflecting on it.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-06-15, 01:53:11
??? 

Well, what I can talk about is progmetal, and there's a lot of great stuff coming from North American pm bands these days: Dream Theater, Nevermore, Queensrÿche, Down, Tool, Kamelot, SyX, Rush, Redemption, QOTSA, Extreme, 3, Aghora - just to name some of my fave bands.

One of the things I like about these bands is that the singers are really into the English language (incl. Khan, who's originally Norwegian), and you get all these fine nuances in their expression. I miss that with the non-English singers. In fact, with many of the latter, I'm happy if they just speak the language decently and not too garbled, but it never comes to really savoring the vocal expression like e.g. with Geoff Tate or Warrel Dane.

Mikael Åkerfeldt is probably my fave non-English singer. I like his warm voice, and he masters the language to the point where he is convincingly poetic. But he doesnt have anything near the range of the two aforementioned singers.

Maybe you guys should play some Queensrÿche and Nevermore to see what I mean  ;)

Strangely, there doesnt seem to be any top-league British progmetal at the moment. Arena master this genre ..... but we sure have been waiting a looong time now  :(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-06-15, 12:19:48
Well, what I can talk about is progmetal, and there's a lot of great stuff coming from North American pm bands these days: Dream Theater, Nevermore, Queensrÿche, Down, Tool, Kamelot, SyX, Rush, Redemption, QOTSA, Extreme, 3, Aghora - just to name some of my fave bands.

One of the things I like about these bands is that the singers are really into the English language (incl. Khan, who's originally Norwegian), and you get all these fine nuances in their expression. I miss that with the non-English singers. In fact, with many of the latter, I'm happy if they just speak the language decently and not too garbled, but it never comes to really savoring the vocal expression like e.g. with Geoff Tate or Warrel Dane.

Mikael Åkerfeldt is probably my fave non-English singer. I like his warm voice, and he masters the language to the point where he is convincingly poetic. But he doesnt have anything near the range of the two aforementioned singers.

Maybe you guys should play some Queensrÿche and Nevermore to see what I mean  ;)

Strangely, there doesnt seem to be any top-league British progmetal at the moment. Arena master this genre ..... but we sure have been waiting a looong time now  :(

I'll agree that the U.S. does seem to make a much bigger contribution to prog metal than to prog of other sorts.  I do like some prog metal (as you've seen), but I think in my heart of hearts, I still think of "symphonic prog" or "neo-prog" as the core of what's prog.  That may change over time.  Also, as always, how to categorize a band (is it prog, is it metal, etc.) isn't an exact science and doesn't need to be.  As an aside, I still don't think of Arena as metal at all, Mr. Mitchell's outstanding guitar notwithstanding.

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-06-15, 16:47:50
As an aside, I still don't think of Arena as metal at all, Mr. Mitchell's outstanding guitar notwithstanding.

Me neither. Note my phrasing: "Arena master this genre." But I also consider that Arena have evolved far beyond the neo-prog tag. Let's just call'm "prog".

As you indicate, Greenie, all these tags are unimportant. I like "prog," cause that means to me that the musicians struggle with their expression, and that leads to exciting music  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-06-15, 17:05:42
Me neither. Note my phrasing: "Arena master this genre." But I consider too that Arena have evolved far beyond the neo-prog tag. Let's just call'm "prog".

As you indicate, Greenie, all these tags are unimportant. I like "prog," cause that means to me that the musicians struggle with their expression, and that leads to exciting music  8)

Fair enough.  I never really though of Arena as neo-prog either, mostly because their first two albums are the only ones to exhibit much of that style, and those were the last two I acquired.  My impression of them was more along the lines of: "This is something different.  I like it.  A lot."