News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Desert Island Discs

Started by erik, Fri, 2009-05-22, 10:56:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-05-26, 16:57:09
Spoil-sport you  >:(

It's a thought experiment, like saying "If God were a woman, what then ?" Obviously the rational thing would be first thing to change herself into a man, but it's interesting to explore the possibilities within the scenario, like would She have extinguished all progmetal ?  :o ;D

Here's where I really confuse Nicky by agreeing with him.   ;D   About the thought experiment, not about the God gender thing.  I'm taking this to be a separate thing from our music profiles or our "best albums of all time."  I stayed with Erik's one album per band limit because it makes it interesting, and although I certainly like everything I picked, not every one would be on my short list of best albums ever.  I tried to take the concept fairly literally and give myself a spread of different things I like assuming it's all I'm ever going to be able to hear.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

erik

Interesting to see all those lists! Thanks all for sharing (and doing the difficult job of compiling the lists)

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-05-26, 18:07:34
Here's where I really confuse Nicky by agreeing with him.   ;D   About the thought experiment, not about the God gender thing.  I'm taking this to be a separate thing from our music profiles or our "best albums of all time."  I stayed with Erik's one album per band limit because it makes it interesting, and although I certainly like everything I picked, not every one would be on my short list of best albums ever.  I tried to take the concept fairly literally and give myself a spread of different things I like assuming it's all I'm ever going to be able to hear.
That's indeed what I did as a thought experiment, it's not necessarily a list of best albums ever (although both lists would obviously overlap), but a cross section of my collection that I would bring and that would keep me alive musically. I think I prefer that over Nicky's approach of bringing the complete catalogue of a few bands (Marillion and Genesis would be first contenders then). However good (and versatile) they may be, it's good to have more variety.

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-05-25, 11:05:51
Very eclectic list, Erik, which is fine with me  :)
Yep, as Nicky stated eloquently in a different thread, "the more you love music, the more music you love". ;)

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2009-05-25, 19:19:56
Indeed, I find the five albums you mention very impressive and I'm playing them very often! As far as I know 'Aura' was never my avatar. Deenfan has it as an avatar. My current avatar is from a band called 'Arena': the album 'Contagion'  ;). And 'Aria' is my favorite Asia album.
Sorry Teunis, I don't know how I got the avatars so mixed up! :-X
But you had a different avatar before right, i.e. before Contagion? Or am I totally off the track here? ???
Anyway, Aria is a great album, I find it very addictive and it would definitely do well on my desert island. Picking an Asia album was certainly one of the tough choices!

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2009-05-26, 16:00:02
Of course, clearer thinkers will be taking a 120gb iPod ;)
No need to stick with the album format then, thus it would pose the daunting challenge of selecting tracks we'd bring to a desert island ;D
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2009-05-26, 22:39:42
Yep, as Nicky stated eloquently in a different thread, "the more you love music, the more music you love". ;)

I took that from Tom Moon's book 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die.

Interesting book. If I remember correctly, it doesnt include any of my pantheon groups (I guess they're tooo weird for TM; it naturally does have some of my "Past masters" tho, like Beatles and AIC), but it fills me in with a lot of classics that I havent heard (much) and probably won't be hearing much.

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2009-05-26, 22:39:42
However good (and versatile) they may be, it's good to have more variety.

Maybe  ???

Iac the five groups I mentioned could keep me happy for quite a while. If I change my mind, I'l return to this topic.

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-05-26, 18:07:34
Here's where I really confuse Nicky by agreeing with him.   ;D

You meant disagreeing, didnt ya, Greenie, or do we disagree to agree  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

erik

Thanks for the tip Nicky, that's a book I probably will enjoy too, must check it out.

QuoteMaybe  ???

Iac the five groups I mentioned could keep me happy for quite a while. If I change my mind, I'l return to this topic.

Just my personal preference, I can also see your selected bands approach work. But if you're stuck on that desert island permanently, no plains/boats/rescue whatsoever, you might start to crave more eventually. ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-05-27, 11:26:27
You meant disagreeing, didnt ya, Greenie, or do we disagree to agree  ;D

I really meant 'agreeing'.   I was agreeing that it was a thought experiment and that part of the point of it was therefore deciding what you would do given the restrictions.  It's true that we took different approaches to applying the restrictions, but that wasn't my point -- It was Erik's, although I do tend toward his thinking on that (obviously, since he basically 'agreed' with the way I made the distinction  ;D ).
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Iggy

A difficult choice. By my reckoning I need to delete 24 of the following. Not an easy job

Abydos - Little boy's heavey metal shadow opera about the inhabitants of his diary
Anathema - Judgement
Angra - Rebirth
Arena -  Pepper's ghost
Avantasia - The Metal Opera
Ayreon - Into the electric castle
Beardfish - Sleeping in traffic pt 1
The Beatles - Abbey road
Blackfield - Blackfield II
Camoora - She
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Dave Gilmour - About face
Deep Purple - Fireball
Dragonforce - Valley of the damned
Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory
Flower kings - Space revolver
Frank Zappa - Joe's garage
Frost - Milliontown
Galahad - Empires never last
Gazpacho - Tick tock
Genesis - Tresspass
Ian Gillan - Mr universe
IQ - Subterranea
It bites - The tall ships
Jethro Tull - Broadside and the beast
Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow
Kamelot - Ghost Opera
King Crimson - Red
Knight Arena - Under a new sign
Led Zeppelin - Physical graffiti
Lightning Seeds - Sense
Lou Reed - Transformer
Manic Street Preachers - Everything must go
Marillion - Fugazi
Mike Oldfied - Songs of a distant earth
Monty Python - Matching tie and hankerchief
Neal Morse - ?
Nektar - Recycled
Oasis - What's the story
Pat Travers - Makin magic
Pendragon - The window of life
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Porcupine Tree - deadwing
Pure Reason Revolution - The dark third
Queen - A night at the opera
Queensryche - Operation mindcrime
REM - Document
Rewiring Genesis - A tribute to the lamb
Richard & Linda Thomson - I want to see the bright lights tonight
Richard Thompson - Rumour and sigh
Rick Wakeman - No eartly connection (criminal record)
Riverside - Rapid eye movement
Robbie Williams - Life thru a lens
Robert Plant - The principal of moments
Roger Waters - Amused to death
Rush - 2112 (Moving pictures)
Saga - 10,000 days
Satellite - Evening games
Savatage - The wake of magellan
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
Shadowland - Ring of roses
Sparks - Propaganda
Spock's Beard - The light
Symphony X - Paradise lost
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Transatlantic - Bridge across forever
Trevor Rabin - 90124
U2 - Joshua tree
Unitopia - The Garden
The Who - Who's next
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Yes - Close to going for topogarohic oceans

erik

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2009-06-03, 12:21:05
A difficult choice.
(...)
Yes - Close to going for topogarohic oceans
:D A clever way of saying you can't choose between several Yes albums! ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..