News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Steely Dan

Started by Nicky007, Sun, 2009-04-05, 10:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

There's a concert with these guys on June 17, and I have a good friend who's very much into SD, so I'm thinkin of inviting him to the concert (he's invited me out several times during my economic depression); so I'd like to hear whether you think that SD can deliver a great show  ???

Greenie, you'v mentioned'm, so maybe you have an opinion ? - or anyone else  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Well, I've got most of the albums but have never seen them live.  I rate them highly, but have reservations about their Brown-friendliness based on their complete lack of turbo-mega-death-thrash-metal-with-a-time-sig-change-thrown-in content.  But you never know... ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Bupie

As an Imperator, I think my opinion has to be seriously taken in consideration now (otherwise there will be retaliation  >:().

So I would say : YES ... and as an Imperator I don't have to give further explanations. My word rules  *horns*

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Sun, 2009-04-05, 11:09:09
otherwise there will be retaliation

I take it your new Death Star is fully armed and operational? ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2009-04-05, 11:07:10
... but have reservations about their Brown-friendliness based on their complete lack of turbo-mega-death-thrash-metal-with-a-time-sig-change-thrown-in content.  But you never know... ;)

;D

Guess you're right there, Jonesy. The stuff on their MySpace site sure didnt rock my b*s.

But I guess I gotta ask Della .....  :D

Quote from: Bupie on Sun, 2009-04-05, 11:09:09
So I would say : YES ... and as an Imperator I don't have to give further explanations. My word rules  *horns*

YES but(t)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Steely Dan...Hmmm,

I think i've heard a song or two of theirs in the past. Though i can't recall which one.

So as a Sicko, my word doesn't count.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2009-04-05, 12:02:38
I think i've heard a song or two of theirs in the past. Though i can't recall which one.

Wow, that sure was an interesting comment, Mad  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Nicky007

I know for one that Malcolm eats only cheese. That's what ya get to look like  :o

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2009-04-05, 12:05:12
Wow, that sure was an interesting comment, Mad  :P

Nicky.

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2009-04-05, 13:19:49
Mmmmm cheese...

And this is?  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Seems to be a bit dull in the marsh today  :D

Actually furiously (funny and seriously), listenin to III Sides, I'm a-thinkin that this is what Steely Dan could'v sounded like if they'd had steely b*s  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2009-04-05, 10:21:06
There's a concert with these guys on June 17, and I have a good friend who's very much into SD, so I'm thinkin of inviting him to the concert (he's invited me out several times during my economic depression); so I'd like to hear whether you think that SD can deliver a great show  ???

Greenie, you'v mentioned'm, so maybe you have an opinion ? - or anyone else  ;)

Nicky.

I've actually seen them (several years ago -- their tours are rare).  My recollection is they're good and tight as you might expect since their music is very 'precise'.  They're known as perfectionists, so they certainly won't do a sloppy performance.  The crowd was probably the oldest of any concert I've been to (not counting when my granny took me to see the orchestra when I was a little boy).  I have to agree with Mr. Jones regarding them perhaps not being so Brown-friendly -- I wouldn't expect a lot of hard rocking out of them as that's not what they do.  If your friend is into them, he'd probably enjoy it since he'll know what to expect.  Whether you'll like it depends on whether or not your tastes stray in that direction occasionally. Us oldies usually like a bigger array of music since we've had years to get tired of whatever we started on.   ;)   They're certainly good at what they do, which I'll try and describe as "adult jazz-rock".
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Sun, 2009-04-05, 20:56:46
Whether you'll like it depends on whether or not your tastes stray in that direction occasionally.

After hearing their MySpace stuff and reading your comments, I'v pretty much given up the idea of going to their concert. The stuff I heard didnt grip me the least, even with several listens. (Guess I'm not "adult" in that a-way)  ;D

Even Asia and Nightwish take me more, at least for a song or two, so that's kinda sayin it  :(

Quote from: Manatee on Sun, 2009-04-05, 20:56:46
Us oldies usually like a bigger array of music since we've had years to get tired of whatever we started on.

I'd say that we'v had more time to sift the goldclumps from the sand. E.g. I still enjoy Abbey Road, Dark Side, and Zep II.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2009-04-05, 21:11:36
I'd say that we'v had more time to sift the goldclumps from the sand. E.g. I still enjoy Abbey Road, Dark Side, and Zep II.

Well that too, but I've found that the style of music that's my current 'favorite' at any given time has changed several times over the years.  It doesn't mean I won't listen to the good parts of what I listened to in the past, but (perhaps this is part of being a prog type) I find myself constantly wanting to hear something interesting that goes in a new direction.  This is the reason I hate the "Classic Rock" format radio stations.  They play some good music (including the examples you gave above), and that's fine if it's just part of the mix.  The problem is it's the whole mix -- they won't play anything that they don't consider "an old favorite."  That gets boring and IMO insults the intelligence of the listeners, assuming that they'll be pacified by the same stuff over and over again.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Steve Jones

I just remembered something about Steely Dan.  When we moved into the current house just over ten years ago, I had it wired for sound and computers from the outset. This meant 2 electricians were here for a week, one of whom turned out to be a major Steely Dan fan.  He went straight to the 'S' section of my CD collection and, when he discovered I passed muster, it was continual Steely Dan blaring out for the best part of a week.  If I didn't like Steely Dan before, I did by the time they left. 8)

I think the neighbours ended up knowing most of the albums by heart, too! ;D
Regards, Steve Jones