News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Genesis - favorite album + track

Started by pedanticmongrel, Sat, 2008-12-06, 03:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Manatee

Hi folks.  I've  been out of touch for a while, but since this topic is near and dear to my heart, I'll take this opportunity to chime in again.
Genesis in their prime (or primes?) is perhaps my favorite band ever, so picking favorites is tough. Based on what I've been most into lately, I'll say Foxtrot for album and Watcher of the Skies for song, but you could name several others for each, and I'd have a hard time disagreeing with you.

Re: Floyd and Yes -- I like both quite a lot, especially Floyd, but I'd pick Genesis over either one.  As someone noted, I think the keyboards in Genesis gives them more of the kind of complexity I tend to enjoy (as compared to PF being more guitar-based, and for me, sparser sounding).  Yes has plenty of keyboard virtuosity, but I prefer both the vocals and lyrics of Genesis (plus Steve Hackett is Steve Hackett).  That said, I own albums by both PF and Yes and am not sorry I do!

-  Manatee
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-02-10, 10:32:18
That said, I own albums by both PF and Yes and am not sorry I do!

That's the spirit! *horns*

erik

Aaah, irresistible topic! :P

Favourite track: Firth Of Fifth

Favourite album: Selling England By The Pound. VERY closely followed by A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering though. My problem with Selling England is The Battle Of Epping Forest; too long and winding for me, disrupts the flow and mood of the album. Therefore, I put Trick and Wuthering on more often.

For me Genesis certainly didn't end there. I like and have all their albums up to and including Calling All Stations. We Can't Dance was my first Genesis album, wasn't really into prog yet back then, still like it a lot. This was followed by a tape with Seconds Out an uncle of mine gave me and took me into their back catalogue.

Agree with Nicky, I'm very fond of Duke and Abacab, two much underrated albums. The latter especially has such a bold new sound yet is definitely Genesis. On And Then There Were Three they were struggling a bit and it's a bit bland somehow. Doesn't really grab me.

The real bummer in their catalogue is the eponymous album though. It's telling that Mike Rutherford always says his favourite album is Side A of said album... That's great stuff, but the rest is B side material indeed! ;) I've also pondered like Paco about a fictive big Genesis 80s album: a combination of Genesis and Invisible Touch. Would include a bit more than Paco, Land Of Confusion should certainly be on it and That's All as well.  Still, this period of Genesis sounds much more dated than their previous stuff that has aged much better. Paco, you dubbed this era just "pop" but I think prog-influenced pop is more apt!

As for Floyd and Yes, really like them too and more or less have all their albums, but they don't hold the same special place for me as Genesis does.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2009-02-23, 12:27:04
As for Floyd and Yes, really like them too and more or less have all their albums, but they don't hold the same special place for me as Genesis does.

But despite personal preferences, Erik, wouldnt you agree with me that Floyd have had a bigger impact on the rock community in total, in fact almost as big as Beatles ?

Thanks for your detailed account of the Genesis catalog. Very useful to me  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-02-23, 14:20:36
But despite personal preferences, Erik, wouldnt you agree with me that Floyd have had a bigger impact on the rock community in total, in fact almost as big as Beatles ?

Thanks for your detailed account of the Genesis catalog. Very useful to me  :)

Nicky.
Yep, agree with you that Floyd have had a bigger/wider impact than Genesis. Almost as big as the Beatles might be stretching it a bit far, but certainly they have been a major force.

And you're welcome; couldn't resist to put my penny in, since it's a topic I'm passionate about ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-02-23, 14:20:36

But on the prog community?

Nicky007

Good question, Paxi. I think that Floyd is also bigger there, but I'm on far more shaky ground with this. Anyone else has an opinion bout it ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I think on the prog side, Genesis, Yes and definitely King Crimson had the biggest impact.
That's my opinion about it. ;D

Nicky007

But if we take big prog groups like Tool, PT, Anathema, Arena, and Riverside, it's definitely Floyd. JM is clearly a Gilmour devotee.

So it's not that simple.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

There are a lot of bands you can mention when it comes to influences:

King Crimson, Pink Floyd (though more psychedelic), Yes, Gentle Giant, Rush, Camel, Genesis, Jethro Tull.

In the end most of the people mentions PF, Genesis or Yes as the biggest influence but they are all pretty important if you ask me.
Without any of these bands, prog as we know it would be entirely different.

And there we go again: I always said that it was Symphonic Rock when i was younger. Simply because the progressive music wasn't really invented yet.
That's a term that people created after the years.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-02-23, 20:00:51
And there we go again: I always said that it was Symphonic Rock when i was younger. Simply because the progressive music wasn't really invented yet.
That's a term that people created after the years.

What's the difference between symphonic rock and progressive rock anyway? Or are you saying that it's basically the same? I know that progressive rock isn't exactly what you call fashionable, but symphonic rock sounds so dull!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Symphonic Rock is Rock like a symphony. Where Progressive Rock is just progressing.

Symphonic Rock was of course very progressive. But Progressive Rock doesn't have to be symphonic.

Ahh yes... wonderful!

-Paco

The Butterfly Man

Ehm...have you been drinking again? ::)

;)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-02-10, 10:32:18
As someone noted, I think the keyboards in Genesis gives them more of the kind of complexity I tend to enjoy (as compared to PF being more guitar-based, and for me, sparser sounding).

I think that Tony Banks more than anyone else determined the sound of Genesis, at least up to Abacab, when it changed more in Phil's and Mike's disco-radio direction (I wont go as far as saying "pop", that would be disrespectful towards such a great group).

Whadaya guys think ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-02-25, 09:32:42
I think that Tony Banks more than anyone else determined the sound of Genesis, at least up to Abacab, when it changed more in Phil's and Mike's disco-radio direction (I wont go as far as saying "pop", that would be disrespectful towards such a great group).

Whadaya guys think ?

Nicky.
Agreed Nicky, Tony Banks is the man! *horns*
Although I do think he is just as much responsible for the change in direction/sound, Calling All Stations isn't miles away from We Can't Dance and in much of his solo work he also goes "pop" (if it looks like "pop", smells like "pop" and sounds like "pop", we can say "pop"! ;) High-quality, prog influenced pop, but pop nonetheless). Stupid word by the way if you type and read it so many times in a row.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

maddox

Quote from: erik on Wed, 2009-02-25, 10:59:21
Agreed Nicky, Tony Banks is the man! *horns*
Although I do think he is just as much responsible for the change in direction/sound, Calling All Stations isn't miles away from We Can't Dance and in much of his solo work he also goes "pop" (if it looks like "pop", smells like "pop" and sounds like "pop", we can say "pop"! ;) High-quality, prog influenced pop, but pop nonetheless). Stupid word by the way if you type and read it so many times in a row.

Especially the abbreviation: PIP = Prog Influenced Pop.

Have we found a new label?  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: erik on Wed, 2009-02-25, 10:59:21
and in much of his solo work he also goes "pop"

Does that hurt??

I like Pip, Maddox! :D

erik

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2009-02-25, 20:30:40
Does that hurt??

I like Pip, Maddox! :D

Good question, he kept doing it for some albums long so it shouldn't really hurt, only reason he stopped is his solo albums never really sold well ;D

PIP it is!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

You mean he popped a bit too hard there?

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-02-23, 17:12:54
Good question, Paxi. I think that Floyd is also bigger there, but I'm on far more shaky ground with this. Anyone else has an opinion bout it ?

Nicky.

Pink Floyd have influenced thousands upon thousands of bands and artists in one way or another accross the genres.  You've got to remember, Floyd were huge, and virtually everybody knows who they were. :)