News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

First 'proper' gig you ever went to

Started by Steve Jones, Fri, 2008-05-16, 10:20:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Jones

Apologies if this duplicates an existing topic, but I've had a look and can't find one...

So, what was the first 'proper' gig you ever went to?  I'm only including the word 'proper' to spare the blushes of anyone dragged along to something truly awful by parents or an older sister - interpret it however you want  ;)

For me it was Robin Trower back in (approx) 1976, with John Miles supporting.  I was completely and utterly bowled over, I'd never imagined seeing a band live could be so spellbinding.  That was it, I was hooked.  The next day I went out and bought tickets for the next four gigs I fancied: Thin Lizzy, Man, Nazareth and another that escapes me for the moment.

If you're wondering what prompted this post, it was seeing Trower's 'Bridge of Sighs' listed as covered on Opeth's forthcoming album - can't wait to hear that  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Bupie

It must have been Joe Jackson on the Night and Day Tour back in ... 1982  :'(  And it was great, some kind of a new world opening its gates to me  *horns*

ironcow2103

My Dad bought me a ticket to see the Rolling Stones in '82 in Bristol (didn't ask him to, he thought I needed to see them!!), but first one I bought was MSG at Colston Hall a year later (I think). Start of a long period of seeing anything that went through Bristol, kept all the ticket stubs and made a montage with pictures cut out of Kerrang that has pride of place on my staircase wall (everything from Marillion and Twelfth Night to Metallica and Manowar!!)

Bupie

:) I used to keep tickets too. They must be in a box somewhere. I'm pretty sure I would be surprised by some of the gigs I went to and have completely forgotten ...

The Butterfly Man

I still know this as if it was yesterday........It was the 29th of September 1995 when Marillion played in Ahoy in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I was 9 years old back then and I went with my dad to this concert of one of his favourite bands...Now, 13 years later, I'm a bigger Marillion-fan than he is! Some songs they played that night can be found on the live-cd 'Made Again', so it's cool that when listening to it, I think to myself: Hey, these are recordings from the very first concert I attended! Needless to say, the gig was absolutely great. I'd never seen anything like it at the time!

Great memories! :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

If i recall correctly it's either U2 or the Simple Minds in the early eighties.

Give me a few days to find out if i guessed right.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Kino in Zoetermeer (december 2005)

It was amazing.

-Paco

Teunis

In my childhood, I was about 12, (that's very long ago) I went to a Dutch band called 'Vitesse' in my hometown. I can remember that I was in awe by the great drummer 'Herman van Boeyen'. Later on it was Toto that stole my heart and the first time I saw them (in the eighties) in Rotterdam Ahoy' was so awesome. I have seen the legendary Jeff Porcaro, who unfortunately passed away, live in action.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Oh man, I can't recall the first gigs. I was so confused in those days, and there was so much hash. But probably the first concert that really made an impression on me was with Made In Sweden. They were awesome then. I ended up going to all their gigs in Copenhagen, prob about five, and many years later falling deeply in love - and for life - with a Swedish woman. Is that karma ?  or divine guidance ?  or simply falling in love (twice) ?  ;D

Prob the best concert I'v been to was in Autumn '06 with Steve Vai in Vega, Copenhagen. Man, that guy knows how to treat his audience  *horns*

But then again, I missed DT and SyX last autumn  :'(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Crazy Diamond

Deep Purple - 13th March 1976 at the Empire Pool, Wembley.

To be honest can't remember that much about it now, although my first gig it didn't make as much an impression on me as later gigs I attended soon after, Floyd (Animals Tour, Wembley), Genesis (W&W, Earls Court) and Rainbow (Rising, Hammersmith Odeon).

The following week DP played the last dates of the Mark IV line-up and sadly Tommy Bolin died later that year.

CD

Bupie

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-05-16, 20:42:27
If i recall correctly it's either U2 or the Simple Minds in the early eighties.

I saw Simples minds a few times too. The first one was for the New Gold Dream Tour in a very small venue in Montpellier. I didn't know them yet, friends had taken me with them and the crowd was really excited, everyone dancing and singing  8)

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-05-16, 21:09:45
Kino in Zoetermeer (december 2005)

It was amazing.

What a great debut, Paco !  *horns*

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2008-05-16, 21:37:32
Later on it was Toto that stole my heart and the first time I saw them (in the eighties) in Rotterdam Ahoy' was so awesome. I have seen the legendary Jeff Porcaro, who unfortunately passed away, live in action.

8) I saw Jeff twice, on The Seventh One Tour and on the Past to Present Tour.  And what can I say ? Well, you already know, Teunis ...  :)

kmorse

Pink Floyd, DSOTM tour, 1973. Second show they played in the U.S.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

maddox

Quote from: kmorse on Mon, 2008-05-19, 20:34:29

All i can say is: Wow.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Quote from: kmorse on Mon, 2008-05-19, 20:34:29

Now that's what I call one-upmanship!  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

kmorse

My first show *would* have been Jethro Tull on their "Thick as a Brick" tour, but my mom wouldn't let me go.

Nicky007

Quote from: kmorse on Tue, 2008-05-20, 16:37:14
... "Thick as a Brick" ....

Was it because you called her that, Keith ?  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

12 October 1986 - Iron Maiden at the Liverpool Empire

Bupie

Quote from: funkster on Tue, 2008-05-27, 13:06:09
12 October 1986 - Iron Maiden at the Liverpool Empire

And how was it ? Cool ? Heavy ? Noisy ?   ???

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2008-05-27, 13:48:08
And how was it ? Cool ? Heavy ? Noisy ?

Well, I suspect they weren't joined onstage by a harpist and a school choir  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2008-05-27, 13:54:27
Well, I suspect they weren't joined onstage by a harpist and a school choir  ;)

Why not if Eddy slaughtered them all at the end of the gig  ;D

Draco chimera

Well, it was... Arena, at the Batofar. ;D
Great beggining :D
Let your conscience decide !

Bupie

kmorse

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-05-20, 16:53:46
Was it because you called her that, Keith ?  :D

Nicky.

Nicky,

No. I just think she thought I was too young and that I'd get in trouble.  ;)

I was actually a pretty good kid.

Keith

Nicky007

Quote from: kmorse on Mon, 2008-06-02, 15:40:23
I was actually a pretty good kid.

Was ?  ;D

Good to hear from you again, Keith. I wrote a couple of days ago that I missed you here in the Room. I interpreted Mad's comment such that he also does. (Donno bout Paco, he's so young.)  ;D

What albums are you into pt ?  How about commenting on some of the religious stuff - just like in good ol' days. We men in our best age need to stick together, huh  ;)

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

kmorse

I'm not a kid anymore ;)

pt? You mean Porcupine Tree?