News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Popular names for popular instruments

Started by PH, Thu, 2008-04-17, 23:12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

No, this is not about Roland or Gibson Les Paul.

What I mean is this:

Guitar
John Mitchell, John Petrucci, John Lennon, ...
Steve Hackett, Steve Rothery, Steve(n) Wilson, Steve Howe, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather, Steve Morse, ...

Bass
John Myung, John Jowitt, John Wetton, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, ...

Singers
Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, Peter Nicholls, ...

Drummers
Mick Pointer, Mick Fleetwood, ...

Keyboardists
Tony Kaye, Tony Banks, ...
Rick Wakeman, Rick Wright, Richard West, Richard Barbieri, Rick Davies, ...
You see?

Look at all those Steve's...

Teunis

What's in a name  ;D. Please add Steve Lukather (Toto) to that guitarists list  ;)  *horns*.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Bupie

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:33:04
What's in a name  ;D. Please add Steve Lukather (Toto) to that guitarists list  ;)  *horns*.

;D

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the topic, though  ???

Bass : John Entwistle

Singers : Peter Nicholls

Does it work ?

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:36:53I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the topic, though  ???
There's no purpose, just be amazed! Maybe we can squeeze a conspiracy theory out of it though... I dunno...

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:36:53Bass : John Entwistle
Who is he?

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:36:53Singers : Peter Nicholls
Doh! Why didn't I think of that one! I knew I was forgetting someone there!

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:36:53Does it work ?
Excellent!

-Paco

PH

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:42:00
Who is he?

That's where your age shows ... He was the bass player (that, you would have guessed  ;D) of the Who. Ok, they are not prog but still have been admitted a few months ago on Progarchives (like tons of non prog bands  ::))

"Whooooooooo are you, hou, hou, hou, hou"  Those are brilliant lyrics, no ? I'd like to have Nicky's analysis on them  ;D  I'm joking. Great song anyway.

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 14:26:10
That's where your age shows ...
You're right.

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 14:26:10He was the bass player (that, you would have guessed  ;D) of the Who. Ok, they are not prog but still have been admitted a few months ago on Progarchives (like tons of non prog bands  ::))
It doesn't care if they aren't prog, as long as they are known to us.
Fleetwood Mac isn't prog either. In fact I've never listened to a Fleetwood Mac album, but...

You get the picture.

-Paco

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-04-18, 14:55:25
You're right.

To be more accurate, I should have added "amongst other things" after "That"  ;D

Nicky007

Paxi, I really dig your lively imagination, but this time I have to disabuse you (look it up)  :)

When I look at my lists of fave singers, guitarists etc, it's a random mix of common English names like John, Steve, Mick (short for Michael), and some solitary uncommon English names, as well as a few common German names like Fritz - actually surprisingly not: the Germans are Alex, Oliver, and other international names. (Hm, interesting, actually nobody wants to be called Fritz or Adolf nowadays.)  ;D

John is the most common boy's name in the English-speaking world. Everybody and, well, maybe not his brother, but his cousin, is called John there. This is not surprising, as in the Bible, the're two big Johns, and they were both great guys (and not as controversial as Paul). And it's not either surprising that you'l find lots of rock musicians called John; you'l also find lots of jerks called John - but there is only one Johninblack in this entire universe  *horns*

And I agree that The Who were'nt a prog group, but they made one album that was very prog: Who's Next. It's actually become cult among proggies my age and is certainly worth a spin or two  *horns*

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:42:00
Maybe we can squeeze a conspiracy theory out of it though

If you want a conspiracy theory, then it's that prog is changing the world to the better, because it's affecting the creative minds  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

keyboardistmatt

Keyboardists: Rick Wakeman, Rick Wright, Richard West... :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Deenfan

Where is keyboardistrick?!

Wait a minute....

Keyboard is trick...

WE'VE BEEN FOOLED!!!!!! :o

gelert

Quote from: Deenfan on Fri, 2008-04-18, 21:09:46
Where is keyboardistrick?!

Wait a minute....

Keyboard is trick...

WE'VE BEEN FOOLED!!!!!! :o

No...it's alright...his name isn't Steve....!

Phew!

::)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Deenfan

But what if Keyboard isn't an instrument at all!? Just a trick?!!!

aaaarrrhhghhghghhh... what is this beneath my fingers?!?!?!?! *runs screaming out, to the shock and befuddlement of my colleagues*

gelert

I'm not sure that "befuddlement" is legal here in the UK?  :D

Mind you, Max Moseley paid a lot of money for something similiar - and he's a Lawyer!  :o
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Deenfan on Fri, 2008-04-18, 21:18:03
But what if Keyboard isn't an instrument at all!? Just a trick?!!!

aaaarrrhhghhghghhh... what is this beneath my fingers?!?!?!?! *runs screaming out, to the shock and befuddlement of my colleagues*

This would be considered inappropriate before the 21:00 watershead... ;D

gelert

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2008-04-18, 21:53:56
This would be considered inappropriate before the 21:00 watershead... ;D

Watershead? Warty-hog? Spell-chucker? Watershed? Wibble + Wobble!

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Fri, 2008-04-18, 21:57:12
Watershead? Warty-hog? Spell-chucker? Watershed? Wibble + Wobble!

Confused yet? ;D ;D

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2008-04-18, 20:04:44
Keyboardists: Rick Wakeman, Rick Wright, Richard West... :)

You forget the Barbieri-man.

Yes folks... it's creepy isn't it?

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-04-18, 23:09:39
You forget the Barbieri-man.

Yes folks... it's creepy isn't it?

Yes. Quite right! I knew there was more.

Richard Barbieri.

gelert

Rick Davies (Supertramp),  Richard Tee (Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, James Brown), Rick Enbacker...(oh no...hold on...he's a guitar!), Richard Clayderman, Richard Carpenter (brother of Karen), er..that's all I got...unless you count Richard Allison, keyboard player with Second Nature - a local Oxford band that used to cover Mary Lions's Easter!

Appelmoes??

Wakeman seems to be a popular last name for keyboardists ;D
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: gelert on Sun, 2008-04-20, 19:59:28Rick Davies (Supertramp),  Richard Tee (Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, James Brown), Rick Enbacker...(oh no...hold on...he's a guitar!), Richard Clayderman, Richard Carpenter (brother of Karen), er..that's all I got...unless you count Richard Allison, keyboard player with Second Nature - a local Oxford band that used to cover Mary Lions's Easter!

Most of them are not known to me. ???
But I'll add Rick Davies.

-Paco