News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Yes

Started by PH, Sat, 2008-04-12, 20:37:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2014-03-06, 13:54:50
;D

Without stops it would be an eighteen hour walk, so I will have just missed it! Or I have to start walking at 3 AM.
Of course I could go by bike, that would take five hours.
Anyway, I would have to take two days off work instead of one evening.
It's too complicated. I might as well move over to Tilburg or Zoetermeer permanently, since that's the only places all these prog bands will ever tour.
It seems that Prog is only for the people in the South... ::)

Ah yes the choices that need to be made.

I used to live very close to Funky and got stuck several times in London in the 80's. I can tell you Euston station was not the most comfortable place. We got kicked out at 0300 and had to wait till 0600 to get back in.

Going to concerts is why I ended up in London.

Off topic Transatlantic next week.  *horns*

PH

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2014-03-06, 22:19:10
Ah yes the choices that need to be made.

I used to live very close to Funky and got stuck several times in London in the 80's. I can tell you Euston station was not the most comfortable place. We got kicked out at 0300 and had to wait till 0600 to get back in.

So what did you do between 0300 and 0600?

Going to concerts is why I ended up in London.

;D

Off topic Transatlantic next week.  *horns*

Lucky guy...

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2014-03-06, 22:36:42
So what did you do between 0300 and 0600?

We walked the streets trying to avoid getting into trouble.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2014-03-06, 17:52:46
So that's how you'll go to Ã…rhus?

With Yes, I'd take Ms 007 along, as we have lotta sharing there. So then I'd have to use conventional transport ;)

Btw her fave Yes album is Talk. She likes Fly a lot too *horns*

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2014-03-06, 22:55:50
We walked the streets trying to avoid getting into trouble.

;D

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Tormato
GFTO's little brother.

I always had the feeling that they ran out of steam and the tensions that were forming came to a head. Side 1 is very much Yes and Side 2 seems to be more of a solo side. Fragile had 9 tracks of which 5 were by individual memebers and this feels very similar. Unfortuately there isn't a Heart of the Sunrise or a South Side of the Sky on Tormato.

Side 1
Future Times/Rejoice - A nice opener upbeat and happy
Don't Kill the Whale - Hit single needs no explanation hopefiully
Madrigal - Mainly Rick and Jon very tuneful and vaguely acoustic
Release Release - Probably my favourite track very rocky love the crowd in the middle and the anti right, anti left, anti-cipate  ;D

Side 2
Arriving UFO - I like the song but not really the lyrics. Yes spent most of the previous 10 years stringing phrases together to add another sound or instrument but not here.
Circus of Heaven - A Jon Anderson song again ith understandable lyrics
Onward - A lovely  Chris Squire song
On the Silent Wings of Freedom - This wouldn't have been out of place on Drama

PH

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2014-03-08, 14:59:38
Tormato
GFTO's little brother.

I always had the feeling that they ran out of steam and the tensions that were forming came to a head. Side 1 is very much Yes and Side 2 seems to be more of a solo side. Fragile had 9 tracks of which 5 were by individual memebers and this feels very similar. Unfortuately there isn't a Heart of the Sunrise or a South Side of the Sky on Tormato.

Side 1
Future Times/Rejoice - A nice opener upbeat and happy
Don't Kill the Whale - Hit single needs no explanation hopefiully
Madrigal - Mainly Rick and Jon very tuneful and vaguely acoustic
Release Release - Probably my favourite track very rocky love the crowd in the middle and the anti right, anti left, anti-cipate  ;D

Side 2
Arriving UFO - I like the song but not really the lyrics. Yes spent most of the previous 10 years stringing phrases together to add another sound or instrument but not here.
Circus of Heaven - A Jon Anderson song again ith understandable lyrics
Onward - A lovely  Chris Squire song
On the Silent Wings of Freedom - This wouldn't have been out of place on Drama

Thanks for this.
I will listen to Tormato.

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2014-03-09, 01:47:46
Thanks for this.
I will listen to Tormato.

You are welcome.

Iggy

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2014-05-13, 18:30:55
Yep the nice thing about Yes is that the albums are very different although there are similarities in places. I will be interesting to see what they do with John Davidson.

I went to the Royl Albert HAll last week and had a very enjoyable evening not the best Yes Gig for performances. JD fitted in beautifully but Geoff seemed to struggle in places. Seeing Close to the Edge, Going for the One and The Yes Album in their entirety was brilliant.

JD's range is better than JA's range these days and he didn't struggle at all unlike Benoit, who did a great job but didn't quite have the high notes.

I listened to Tales recently and have decided that side 3 is enjoyable mostly as a counterpoint to the rest of the Album. Sides 1 and 2 are quite gentle but side 3 starts loud and is quite discordant but ends beautifully. Ritual is just a powerhouse of a finale.

Hopefully next tour Yes will play Tales in full but I am not holding my breath.

As an aside Trevor Rabin was a bit flat for me on the 90125 tour. I got the idea he didn't enjoy the rest of the music as much wheresas on the Drama tour Trevor Horn struggled like Benoit but seemed to be enjoying the music if not the experience.

Hope no one minds but I copied this in here in case I get the urge to ramble on more.

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2014-05-13, 18:32:32
Hope no one minds but I copied this in here in case I get the urge to ramble on more.

Not at all, Iggy, on the contrary ;)

Thanx for your comments on Tales and your other interesting notes.

Tales is a true tour de force. Thematically it offers a perspective over the entire human condition, and the music covers immense territory. Understandably it's an album that requires quite some effort on the part of the listener to appreciate fully.

I have a version with a relatively extensive booklet. I can recommend listeners who have this booklet to read it thoroughly. It is really very informative and offers important keys to understanding the album.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Anyone here who already listened to the new Yes album? I've read a lot of reviews and most of them are very negative. They say this is Yes' worst album ever. I have not bought the album yet, but I have listened to it. And I'm planning to buy it. I like it. It's by far not their best, and it's quite mellow (no rock here), but there are some melodies that get stuck in your head very easy very quickly. One song ("To Ascend") is very beautiful and I'm whistling the melody all day long. I'm looking forward to buying the album which I'll probably do next week.

PH

Iggy, Nicky, have you heard their new album already?
I'm looking forward to your opinion on this controversial album. ;D

Nicky007

Paxi, I won't be listening to it for a while, cuz I want to spend more time checking up on the groups related to Sagoth (Morbid Angel, Mike Oldfield, Dagorlad, Stormlord, Summoning, Mantank and others), and you seem to be lukewarm about the new Yes album.

I too am interested in hearing what Iggy thinks of it ....

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Guys... Chris Squire passed away today... :(
Facebook

Man, that happened fast... Still can't believe it.

Sad news...

R.I.P.

Nicky007

Sad indeed :(

Chris was the one who carried the Yes tag all thru the years, the only member who was involved in all Yes albums.

Just ordered Heaven and Earth ....

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I read some interesting news today. At least, news to me. It seems that it's almost two weeks old, but haven't heard about it anywhere else yet.

Apparently Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin are teaming up together. They have decided to tour, but reading between the lines a bit, there might be a possibility for a new album.

If that's the case, I'm looking forward to it! Jon Anderson is my favourite Yes-vocalist, Rick is my favourite Yes-keyboardist and Trevor did some awesome things to the Yes brand in the 80's and early 90's. I really like his more rocky approach of guitar playing. This could be really good!

Source:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ex-yes-members-tour/

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2016-01-25, 11:37:35
I read some interesting news today. At least, news to me. It seems that it's almost two weeks old, but haven't heard about it anywhere else yet.

Apparently Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin are teaming up together. They have decided to tour, but reading between the lines a bit, there might be a possibility for a new album.

If that's the case, I'm looking forward to it! Jon Anderson is my favourite Yes-vocalist, Rick is my favourite Yes-keyboardist and Trevor did some awesome things to the Yes brand in the 80's and early 90's. I really like his more rocky approach of guitar playing. This could be really good!

Source:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ex-yes-members-tour/

Agree.
Except for Jon's singing capabilities that is. ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.