News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Well, it's not as symphonic and melodic as Moon Safari. Just a warning.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2015-08-16, 21:05:56
Tonight I'll be listening to Leprous by headphones. Will let you know, thanks for the warning :).

np: Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts  *horns* (About time for a new album I'd say!)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2015-08-16, 21:05:56

And not as heavy and growly as Dying Fetus. Just a warning :D

So somewhere in-between Moon Safari and Dying Fetus - how's that ;D

I don't really know Moon Safari - probably not my taste - but I'd say that Leprous are as symphonic and melodic as Muse, a bit more rhythmic and heavier, but very much the same mood, altho not at all copies of each other. Two great groups - here "great" has its place ;)

Teunis, initially you'll probably have to get past the first two tracks, they're rather noisy and not so melodic. With the third track Rewind it really starts cruising. You could well start with Slave, that one you'll really like, real Musy, man, what a song, that one could do it for the whole album - a ride out into the Galaxy, that's about the scale 8)  Just a tip :)

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2015-08-16, 20:11:11
Great to see that you like them Nicky!
I think "Coal" is better, but then again, I didn't give "The Congregation" as much time. And "Coal" was a real eye opener for me, really love that album. Anticipation for the next album was sky high, and disappointment was inevitable.

Paxi, again you're letting your mind run off with ya ::)

You know that you shouldn't rate a prog album - and here "prog" really has its place - before you've listened to it at least thrice, preferable five times. Man, do I have to play father to you :o

Give it two more listens, and I'll wager a Chimay that you'll like it better than Coal. They really went for it here *horns*

NP  Guess what ;)

Got six of the songs - Third Law, Rewind, Slave, Moon, Down, Lower - in my Classic songs. Rare that so many tracks from an album make it there 8)

The album builds up toward the end, Lower is a real nice ender :)

Interesting - to me at least - Wiki:  Leprous is a Norwegian progressive metal band formed in 2001 in Notodden, Norway. The band gained prominence as the backing band for former Emperor frontman Ihsahn's live shows. Ihsahn has, in turn, contributed to several Leprous albums as a vocalist (on "Thorn" from Bilateral and "Contaminate Me" from Coal) and as a co-producer for Coal.

I'm a big Ihsahn and Emperor fan!

Man, there's a lotta talent in the little town of Notodden (80 km east of Oslo). Also Ihriel, real name Heidi Solberg Tveitan, Ihsahn's wifey, did some nice solo albums under the moniker Starofash, and even better albums imo together with hubby under Peccatum. Ihsahn and Ihriel run Mnemosyne Studios, where Leprous record - so now the circle is full ;)

Anyone got a hunch that I like prog ?

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2015-08-12, 19:17:53
Is it me or does Ted's voice suits better with Spock's than with Enchant?

Wrong on both counts ("o" important here :D ), Mad, Ted's voice is tailored for Thought Chamber *horns*

Well, I have to admit that I haven't heard him in Spock's yet, but he's really super on TC's Angular Perception. But I think you know that ;)

Don't get me wrong, I really like Enchant, especially the last few albums, but The Great Divide is genuine Enchant but I'd rather wish it was sung by a different singer than Ted.

I gave all my Enchant albums away. I tried :(

Somehow there's not really anything of, well, anything there ???  No real melody, hooks, catchy rhythms, interesting solos, more like a grind :-\

Mad, maybe it's not Ted's fault ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

pp: Knight Area - Under A New Sign
pp: Muse - The 2nd Law

jp: Leprous - The Congregation

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2015-08-17, 10:43:32
Teunis, initially you'll probably have to get past the first two tracks, they're rather noisy and not so melodic. With the third track Rewind it really starts cruising. You could well start with Slave, that one you'll really like, real Musy, man, what a song, that one could do it for the whole album - a ride out into the Galaxy, that's about the scale 8)  Just a tip :)

I wonder why you mention just the only two tracks with screams/semi growls ;). Seriously, there are some really great and enjoyable tracks on the album. Found 'Slave' one of the most catchy until, you know :). A nice album, I do really like the voice of the singer and I'll play it again, but the screams would keep me from buying the album ::).

np: The Black Noodle Project - Ghosts & Memories

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2015-08-17, 19:42:16
jp: Leprous - The Congregation

I wonder why you mention just the only two tracks with screams/semi growls ;). Seriously, there are some really great and enjoyable tracks on the album. Found 'Slave' one of the most catchy until, you know :). A nice album, I do really like the voice of the singer and I'll play it again, but the screams would keep me from buying the album ::).

Perhaps you should try "Coal" then. I don't remember hearing screams there.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2015-08-17, 20:10:12
Will listen to it, saw it also listed on Spotify, thanks.

np: Pendragon - Masquerade Overture 8)

The Butterfly Man

Wow that's nice guys, I came back from holiday, check in into the Room and find that Leprous is gaining momentum here. Very nice. *horns*

I've been listening to them for quite a few years already. Always liked what I heard but with The Congragation they really hit a sweet-spot. I like it so much that it's actually at the top of my list of 2015 releases now I come to think of it. I rate it higher than The Unquiet Sky and even Hand. Cannot. Erase. At first I listened to it numerous times on Spotify, really loved it from the get go and eventually bought it.

Such a great album.  8)

After all these years the Room still is full of surprises... ;D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2015-08-18, 11:36:04
After all these years the Room still is full of surprises... ;D

Yup, and you're one of'em, Tommy Boy, haven't seen ya for quite a while :)

Wow that's nice guys, I came back from holiday, check in into the Room and find that Leprous is gaining momentum here. Very nice. *horns*

Yup, must say *horns*

Have you heard some more of KoK's Epistemology ? That's my nb 1 for 2015, and together with Dream Theater Self-titled and Saturnian Dimensions at the top of the list for the first half of the 10's. These are complex albums that one never tires of ;)

Well, let's see what Kull I is like ....

The Congregation competes with Heaven & Earth for second place in 2015.

Tommy, have you listened to H&E ? A wonderful album *horns*

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2015-08-17, 19:42:16
I wonder why you mention just the only two tracks with screams/semi growls ;)

Well, I kinda know you by now ;)

Actually it was more cuz of the noise than the shout.

Seriously, there are some really great and enjoyable tracks on the album. Found 'Slave' one of the most catchy until, you know :). A nice album, I do really like the voice of the singer ...

8) Teunis

but the screams would keep me from buying the album ::).

Teunis, what do you do when wifey screams at you ? Divorce her ?

Being a proggie is like being married. Prog can be a bitch, and it can be heavenly - mainly the latter if you work with it ;)

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2015-08-17, 20:10:12

Perhaps you should try a trip to the North Pole. I don't remember hearing screams there ::)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2015-08-18, 13:25:28
Being a proggie is like being married. Prog can be a bitch, and it can be heavenly - mainly the latter if you work with it ;)
>:(. There are many upcoming releases that I'm really looking forward to, so I have to make choices. In that case It'll be the ones without bitches uhm I mean screams ;).

np: Leprous - Coal

Track: Chronic. What do I hear? ::) :-\ ;)

Teunis

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2015-08-18, 17:44:31
Unfortunately not my cup of tea. Stopped the album at the last song, which was too much ... At least I've tried :P.

np: Agent Fresco - Destrier

Nicky007

Chronic scream ;)

At least you can be happy that you're not married to a screamer :o

NP  Shaman:  Ritual

Shaman was created in 2000 by Andre Matos, Luis Mariutti and Ricardo Confessori from Angra.  Guitarist Hugo Mariutti (Luis' bro) joined.

Good stuff, but not as magic as the three albums they contributed to in Angra 8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

NP:
Leprous - "Coal"

Ah, I had to listen back to it. But you're right, there are some screams in Chronic indeed. Didn't really notice it at first.

And actually Nicky is spot on with his Muse reference. They do have some similarities! They also remind me of Anathema and Devin Townsend. But mostly, they're just Leprous.
Man, I love this album!

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2015-08-18, 13:25:28
Yup, and you're one of'em, Tommy Boy, haven't seen ya for quite a while :)

I know. Just too busy living life and enjoying family-time.

QuoteHave you heard some more of KoK's Epistemology ?

Yes, I have grown to really like it. I just don't love it. But it's very good. Especially the titletrack.

QuoteTommy, have you listened to H&E ? A wonderful album *horns*

No, but somehow I just strongly dislike Yes' music. Tried it a few times but after a while it gets on my nerves, I just can't take it. Sorry. ::)

QuoteBeing a proggie is like being married. Prog can be a bitch, and it can be heavenly - mainly the latter if you work with it ;)

Quote of the year! ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2015-08-18, 19:14:18
np: Agent Fresco - Destrier

Funny that you're listening to Agent Fresco. I would describe their sound as 'Leprous-light'.  :)

What do you think about Destrier? I think it is a very, very good album, and man these guys can play. *horns* You can't really tag their music, they are masters of lots of different styles; they play everything from prog to metal, pop to jazz and everything in between. There's even one track that features grunts. A track that lasts only 1:30 minutes though so I think you're safe Teunis.  ;)

If you don't know them, please take my advise and give Agent Fresco a listen guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VmNTl6JvDY

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2015-08-19, 16:00:31
What do you think about Destrier? I think it is a very, very good album, and man these guys can play. *horns* You can't really tag their music, they are masters of lots of different styles; they play everything from prog to metal, pop to jazz and everything in between. There's even one track that features grunts. A track that lasts only 1:30 minutes though so I think you're safe Teunis.  ;)

If you don't know them, please take my advise and give Agent Fresco a listen guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VmNTl6JvDY

Hey that sounds really good!

Funny that you're listening to Agent Fresco. I would describe their sound as 'Leprous-light'.  :)

Wow, definitely! Same guitar style, and the voice is similar too. I'll check out that album. Made me think of Haken in some places too. Dunno why.

maddox

Arcane ~ Known/Learned

*horns* *horns* *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Haken - "The Mountain"
Hmm still a very very good album!

Teunis

But I do like the Leprous album 'The Congregation', except for the growls. So it isn't that strange :).

Quote from: The Butterfly Man
It's a great album indeed. And I would skip the 1:30 minutes track for sure. Really didn't expect that song when I first listened to the album :).

pp: Muse - The Resistance and Steve Lukather - Luke while travelling back home from Germany.

Teunis

pp: Toto - Toto XIV
pp: Subsignal - Paraiso
jp: Chicago - Chicago 17
np: Leprous - The Congregation

Teunis

Today:
Agent Fresco - Destrier
Neal Morse - Lifeline
Knight Area - Realm Of Shadows
John Wetton - Battle Lines

np: Gazpacho - Night

Teunis

PH

I've listened to Dream Theater's "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" and realised that it is a really good album. Of course there are some filler songs (This Is The Life, Far From Heaven...), but when you just take the best songs, you've got 40+ minutes of good music, which is a full album in my book.
In any case it's much better than the self titled album in my opinion.

Does anyone know whether they're writing again? Looking at their releases interval of two years, they should have a new studio album coming out this year. But probably not...

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2015-08-28, 11:38:38
Does anyone know whether they're writing again? Looking at their releases interval of two years, they should have a new studio album coming out this year. But probably not...
According to Progwereld.org (wereldse verwachtingen) a new album is scheduled for Autumn 2015.

pp: The Gentle Storm - The Diary ~ cd 1: The Gentle Version
jp: Arena - The Unquiet Sky  *horns*
np: Focus - X

Teunis

pp: Mystery - The World Is A Game (looking forward to the new album 'Delusion Rain', to be released this Fall 8))
jp: Pendragon - Not Of This World
np: Threshold - For The Journey  *horns*

Teunis

Peter Gee - East Of Eden (Nice Sunday album ;))