News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2011-02-18, 09:17:37
I adore the covers of these songs 'some band' (:P) did on their last studio album

It's strange, as much as I love DT's original music, I avoid their covers, just like I avoid Transatlantic's.

In fact, overall, it's seldom that I get gripped by a cover.

One example would be Jeff Buckley's sublime cover of Leonard Cohen's Halleluja  :)

DT's covers are too close to the originals, and e.g. in their cover of Elton John's Funeral For A Friend, they don't get the piano and guitar passages entirely right, which annoys me, since I so much love Elton's original version, and I'v listened to it over and over. In fact (as I mentioned earlier in the Room), I even play it myself on the piano as my star turn, and I'v made a point of gettin every melodic note just right  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Knight Area - Rising Signs From The Shadows  8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Played:

Poverty's No Crime:  Save My Soul

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kdYWPyLGBI

Nice, in style with Threshold  8)

Wiki: "Poverty's No Crime is a German progressive metal band founded in 1991 by Volker Walsemann, Marco Ahrens, Andreas Tegeler, Christian Scheele, and Marcello Maniscalco. Their first two albums, Symbiosis and The Autumn Years were released under their old record company, Noise Records. Their subsequent albums were released under the InsideOut record company. Their albums have received positive attention from the German magazine, Rock Hard."

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty%27s_No_Crime

Time Symmetry: The Game

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kdYWPyLGBI

Also nice, tho not as catchy as Poverty  :)

From Sea of Tranquility:

"Time Symmetry: Fate in Grey

Time Symmetry has released a very impressive album in late 2005. Time Symmetry is a progressive-metal band, with no notable names from previous bands. Yet the singing of David Rubio is emotive, and recalls styles of James LaBrie (Dream Theater). The singing is definitely one of the highlights of this band. Overall, the band sounds similar to Symphony X, early Vanden Plas, and Time Machine.

Musically the band is very solid, especially for a first full length album release, and they sound like mature musicians. There is no blinding wizardry on guitar, nor keyboards, but not every progressive metal album needs shredding bliss either. To not sell them short, the musicians are talented, and at times show off some of their abilities. However, overall, the instruments are setup to support and enhance the mood of the song. Further, each song stands out on its own, and they have some distinct styles and moods."

- www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4234

NP  Enslaved:  Ethica Odini

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddes3psWpg4&feature=related

Pantheon  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2011-02-13, 09:10:08
A night at the opera by Blind Guardian

Hugely OTT like a mad mix of Queen and Helloween  8)

Gets me curious .....

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2011-02-18, 13:01:19
NP Cloudscape - Global Drama

And ? (Could you maybe use more than three words, Iggy ? )  ;)

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2011-02-13, 22:41:23
Too bad, really too bad.

Agree, Mad  :'(

FW is by all means one of the greatest and most groundbreaking prog band  *horns*

They paved the way for DT and SyX  8)

Probably the main hindrance to their gaining popularity has been their moderation. Everything is very low-key, there are few real thrills in their music, and thrills seem to be what catches most people. Only few have the patience to get properly into demanding music and value all the fine details  :-\

However, I'm happy that you valued the concert  8)

Btw, interesting, from Wiki: "In January 2011, an announcement was made that Fates Warning guitarist Jim Matheos and former Fates Warning vocalist John Arch formed a band called Arch / Matheos. They started recording the drum tracks on January 12, 2011 and will continue to record into February. The three other musicians involved are Joey Vera on bass guitar, Bobby Jarzombek on drums, and Frank Aresti on additional lead guitar."

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fates_Warning

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2011-02-13, 22:31:16
I just got home from a lovely day with the lady. We went to see the Queen-musical We Will Rock You and afterwards had a romantic dinner in a nice and cozy restaurant.

Was there a further "afterwards"  :D

Yeah, they'r also doing that musical in Cop. Would never see it  :-X

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

NP  Zero Hour:  Dark Deceiver

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_84e8gXE4

Great video  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Spock's Beard V accompanied me on the way to work this morning and the glorious Obsidian Conspiracy will be the bw the soundtrack to my return bus journey  *horns*   

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2011-02-17, 06:17:46
Brighton Rock

Yeah, Tom (and others), particularly listen to this groundbreaking song. It was my fave song for years, more than Bohemian Rhapsody, and I simply couldnt tire of it, the marvellous exploring guitar, the energy and grit. This was rock at its best at the time  *horns*

I think you guys will understand after some runs .....  ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUKi3_QntE

NP  Scar Symmetry:  Orchestrate The Infinite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0jE6NgtxY&feature=related

Oh my, what a pleasure, such a long time since I'v heard this great group, and what a fabulous song  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Nick , recommend my some Scar Symmetry as i like this one  *horns* 

Peter

After all the late metal mayhem, it's time for something uplifting.

np> Simple Minds - [New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (1982) #01] Someone, Somewhere in Summertime (4:38)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBlKYbFWZ-o at least listen to the chorus... amazing. Those were the times...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2011-02-20, 12:46:51
Nick, recommend me some Scar Symmetry, as i like this one  *horns*

Great you'r back to progmetal, Funky - grrrowl  *horns*

OK, here we go:

Morphogenesis     www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebSi4PDC34

Prism And Gate     www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCYUg_bqVq0

The Illusionist     www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0p7Y3gND4

Slaves To The Subliminal     www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IjeqxwqKa0

Noumenon and Phenomenon     www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylTmVkmsuws

Enjoy  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Muse - The Resistance
Satellite - Evening Games

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2011-02-20, 12:56:18

np> Simple Minds - [New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (1982) #01] Someone, Somewhere in Summertime (4:38)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBlKYbFWZ-o at least listen to the chorus... amazing. Those were the times...

I bow to you, my great ol' Pete! \m/
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

funkster

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2011-02-20, 13:38:44
Great you'r back to progmetal, Funky - grrrowl  *horns*

OK, here we go:

Morphogenesis     www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebSi4PDC34

Prism And Gate     www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCYUg_bqVq0

The Illusionist     www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0p7Y3gND4

Slaves To The Subliminal     www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IjeqxwqKa0

Noumenon and Phenomenon     www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylTmVkmsuws

Enjoy  :)

Nicky.

Cheers Nick , any particular album(s) ?

Bupie

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2011-02-20, 12:56:18

np> Simple Minds - [New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (1982) #01]
Actually, I saw them on the New Gold Dream Tour : they were still playing small venues at the time but it was not going to last for long. This was in ... 1983. As you can see (thanks to the web), the tickets design was great with this Templar cross separating the two words of the band's name : http://www.sosimpleminded.com/index.php?page_id=16&action=description&band_id=3&concert_id=332

I saw them again three or four years ago at a festival : they played late at night and many people leaved the place way before the end of their set. It's not easy getting old when you are/were rock stars  :P

NP Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt1
Sorry Pete, but despite the Simple Minds nostalgia, I am still in a (light) metal mode these last days.

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2011-02-21, 10:36:46

NP Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt1
Sorry Pete, but despite the Simple Minds nostalgia, I am still in a (light) metal mode these last days.

I recently discovered the Genius-trilogy by Daniele Trivianti.
I seriously like it more than Avantasia.

Worth to check I'd say.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

You are seriously entitled to think so, Mad  :)

Thanks for the link, I'll check out. I have been (and still am) so thrilled by both parts of the Metal Opera that I doubt to get to the same conclusion than you but I promise to keep an open mind about it. And I know that we agree on the fact that the most important thing about music is the emotion that it gives us, no matter if it leads to different or opposite appreciations  *horns*

Bupie

NP Angra - Temple of Shadows

Wow, the first listen is not finished yet and I am already very impressed by the musicianship and the compositions  :o I couldn't help to press the replay button for Sprouts of Time  *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Mon, 2011-02-21, 07:38:36
Cheers Nick , any particular album(s) ?

Just get'm all, Funky, Symmetric In Design (2005), Pitch Black Progress (2006), Holographic Universe (2008), Dark Matter Dimensions (2009), and you'l have enuff great music for a while. Scar Symmetry albums are stuck-on stuff  *horns* - aint that right, Tom and Jerry-Mad ?

Christian Älvestam sings on the first three albums. He's one of the finest metal singers around. After his departure, they got two singers to fill out his shoes,  Roberth Karlsson (growls and backing clean vocals) and Lars Palmqvist (clean vocals and backing growls).

I havent heard their latest album much, but it reminds me a lot of the earlier albums, and Roberth and Lars seem to do the job well  8)

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-02-23, 10:57:02
Wow, the first listen is not finished yet and I am already very impressed by the musicianship and the composition  :o

Angra are not quite pantheon with me, but they'r definitely a great metal band  *horns*

I'm planning to play some Scar Symmetry this eve  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Pitch black progress by Scar Symmetry and also Brighton rock by Queen

Rifftastic

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2011-02-23, 16:02:27
Angra are not quite pantheon with me, but they'r definitely a great metal band  *horns*
I don't know about their other works but Temple of Shadows is clearly prog metal to my ears. In fact, it's maybe the closest thing to Dream Theater that I have heard so far, way more than Symphony X, for instance. Technically, the musicians seem really at the top of the game, way above the majority of the speed metal scene, especially the drummer and the guitar players. Tom and Nicky, since you play guitar, what do you think about that ?

By the way, Nick, do you know that two of your fave bands, SX and Nevermore, are touring together at the moment ? In fact, I think they will be close from my home in a few days.

NP Angra - Temple of Shadows

bellanova

Porcupine Tree
Recordings
Track 4-Untitled
This album is really growing on me :)

Teunis

John Wetton - Battle Lines
Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2011-02-24, 09:11:47
I don't know about their other works but Temple of Shadows is clearly prog metal to my ears.

I otoh only know Rebirth properly. Excellent singing and musicianship, definitely top of the game, prog, OK yes, more proggish I'd say, not quite innovative enuff to be pantheon with me  :-\

In fact, it's maybe the closest thing to Dream Theater that I have heard so far

I actually didnt think of Dream Theater at all when I heard Rebirth. I consider that, tho Angra are excellent, there's still a looong way up to DT-league  ;)

I don't wanna paternalise you, Bups, but if you'd check up my prog pantheon, you'd find several progmetal bands that imo have more to offer than Angra, e.g.

SyX and Nevermore

who, I stress imo, are DT-league. Also, of course, Priest, Tool, Opeth, Haken, Queensrÿche, Keep of Kalessin, Scar Symmetry, Trivium, Radiance, and Anubis Gate. These are all top-league bands that I consider every progmetalhead should be familiar with  *horns*

By the way, Nick, do you know that two of your fave bands, SX and Nevermore, are touring together at the moment ?

In fact I didnt know it. Thanx for mentioning it, Bups  :)

My economy has been so strained that I havent kept up with the good concerts in the hood. But there are prospects of my getting a proper wage soon  :-X

Man, am I missing good rock concerts  :-*

It's of course great to have all this fine music on cd, YouTube, and at the library, but still, a concert with one of one's fave groups, that's somethin special, ainit, guys ?  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Earlier today I was playing Oceansize - Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up

Then literally a few minutes after the album was finished I read this on their Facebook-page:

QuoteDear Friends,

We regret to inform you that Oceansize has split up.
An explanation for this occurrence is neither forthcoming or indeed necessary.
All that remains is to say THANK YOU for being there for us. It's been a very eventful and life-affirming 12 years.
We'll miss you.
There will be more music from each of us as soon as possible.

:(

I'm glad I managed to finally see them live a few months ago, it was a great performance full of energy that I will cherish.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2011-02-25, 15:52:11
I otoh only know Rebirth properly. Excellent singing and musicianship, definitely top of the game, prog, OK yes, more proggish I'd say, not quite innovative enuff to be pantheon with me  :-\

I actually didnt think of Dream Theater at all when I heard Rebirth. I consider that, tho Angra are excellent, there's still a looong way up to DT-league  ;)

I don't wanna paternalise you, Bups, but if you'd check up my prog pantheon, you'd find several progmetal bands that imo have more to offer than Angra, e.g.
I don't want to paternalize you neither, Nicky ... but may I try a longer answer than I usually do ?  :)

We share the same tendency to the "hey, I have discovered a new band/album and it's the best thing I have ever heard, you guys should go and run listen to it" thing.

In my case, it's aggravated by the fact that every alleged great discovery leads me to explore a band's complete discography (which can be sometimes very rewarding (DT) and sometimes disappointing (Megadeth) but always rather expensive) and let you share  :P

And I admit that I can get rather frustrated when my enthusiasm doesn't meet other Roomies' or when I receive no answers -or paternalistic ones- to genuine questions. But it's part of the internet thing and I have very little to complain about this forum which is really a nice place with nice people who are entitled not to be interested in what I write or listen to.

So I usually live with it and get back in my cave. You are the only one that I sometimes "reprimand" since I find that you have the -bad in my book- habit to take definitive conclusions from incomplete knowledge.

Lately, I raved a lot about Avantasia, especially the Metal Opera Pts I and II which are the most exciting albums that I have heard in a looong time, which means that I can listen to them over and over with a large smile on my face and that they feed me with a very positive energy. But I won't pretend that those albums are everybody's taste and that they will necessarily please every Roomie.

In the case of Angra's Temple of Shadows, though, I beg the right not to get in my cave immediately.

When I said that it's the closest thing to DT that I have heard, I meant that from what I know from the prog metal scene, some songs (The Shadow Hunter, Waiting Silence ...) are, structures and quality wise, the ones that make me think the most of DT. Plus, I really do believe that both bands have incredibly talented musicians. And I would add that Angra's ToS has more variety than almost all DT albums.

So I won't say that Angra is better or equal to DT, since I only know this album of theirs for a few days (!), but I can confidently recommend Temple of Shadows to any DT fan and to anybody who has an opened mind about music.

Funnily enough coming from a speed metal labelled band, I would even say that this album should only disappoint speed metal fans since past the sixth track, there's only non speed prog (metal or not) to find.

So Nick, do me a favour for once : go on Youtube and listen carefully to Shadow Hunter and then come back to speak about it.  ;)

Sorry to have been so long but I needed it this time.  :)