News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

NP: Rammstein - Reise Reise

Wünderbar! *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-07-30, 11:06:10
NP  Ten:  Stormwarning

Maybe not so prog, but Gary & Co. can rock the mountains  *horns*

He finally got it. ;D
Now that you acknowledged that they're not so prog, I'd like to say that I think that Ten is a nice melodic rockband. ;D I listened to a few songs from their new album and it sounded very good indeed. ;)

I'll come back to this subject later.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-07-30, 18:09:54
NP  Genesis:  Behind The Lines

One of my fave Genesis songs, the first song on Duke  *horns*

It IS a very cool song! *horns*

Mike is often described as more of a bassist than guitarist, but at the end of this song he plays a pretty nifty guitar solo  8)

Agreed! He's not the best guitarist of the world, but certainly better than me and better than Nicky.

The second song on the album, Duchess, is nice too  :)

Again: agreed. I think this song is actually my favourite song of the album and the very first Genesis song I consciously listened to. I was very much captivated by the long intro with the drum computer. ;) Amazing song of an amazing album, but...

Anyone here agree with me that Duke is the best Genesis album ?

...no, I hate to say it, since I like this album very much, but I just cannot agree to this. If I did, it would feel I betrayed "Selling England..."

Or which one is your fave ?

Aforementioned "Selling England By The Pound", followed by probably "Wind And Wuthering" and "Trick Of The Tail". "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" follows closely, with I think "Duke" just behind that.

Well, it can all change, but still "Selling England..." remains the best.
I think...

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2011-07-30, 20:04:13
...I think that ...And Then There were Three and Abacab are the lesser ones and that Duke is good but not essential.

I still think that Down And Out, the first song of "...And Then There Were Three" is very cool. So is Undertow, with one of the most beautiful choruses. And what to think of the brilliant instrumental middle section of Burning Rope. I always think "later, when I'm a grownup (;D) I have a band and we'll cover this song". Love the guitar part there (the better-than-Nicky-guitarist Mike Rutherford).
I could go on forever about Genesis. For me it's the ultimate Progressive band (at least the best of the classic bands).

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2011-07-30, 20:04:13
Great songs for instance are The Knife and Visions of Angels from Trespass.

Yes, Visions Of Angels is truly beautiful.

Sorry, but I must stop talking about Genesis now, or else this already long post would endure all night.

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2011-08-08, 16:13:18
NP: Rammstein - Reise Reise

Wünderbar! *horns*

;D
I always had a weak spot for Rammstein. They've made an excellent combination of Industrial and heavy rock, or even metal, and then some more.
Too bad I'm not so fond of their lyrics.
Their latest output is absolutely beyond my boundaries. :(
Love their sound, but not their 'game', so to say.

Sorry for this long post, but that's because I was away for a week. ;D

--Paco

PH

Just played:
Threshold - "Dead Reckoning"

Now playing:
Threshold - "Subsurface"
2. Ground Control

R.I.P. Mac... :'(

I have four albums by this really cool band:
- Hypothetical
- Subsurface
- Replica
- Dead Reckoning

A top 4 would look like this:
1. Replica
2. Dead Reckoning
3. Subsurface
4. Hypothetical

I also love Karl's better-than-Nicky's-guitar-playing. ;) Love his collaborations with Clive!

PH

Roine Stolt - "Wall Street Voodoo"
3. Dirt

I really want to like The Flower Kings, but I can't. I have one Flower Kings album, "Paradox Hotel", but there are just a few songs that click with me, I think two or three.
Apart from The Flower Kings, I love EVERYTHING Roine Stolt is involved in. He is just one gifted guitarist with cool ideas and a very nice voice. He was great with Kaipa and his involvement in The Tangent, still is great with TransAtlantic.
I don't hear much talk about Kaipa or The Tangent here by the way. Is there anyone who even likes them?

Does anyone know more about Agents Of Mercy, 3rd World Electric and Circus Brimstone?

Nicky007

Why is it that Paxi can keep the Room alive by regularly writing intesting stuff, and noone else can ?  ;)

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-08-08, 23:18:44
He finally got it. ;D

I actually meant the song Stormwarning, but of course I should have written "title song"  :-[

Now that you acknowledged that they're not so prog

OK, but I'd say that their degree of musical prog is about equal to that of Marillion (both) and Threshold. E.g. DT and CM are way more prog musically  ;)

I'd like to say that I think that Ten is a nice melodic rockband.

That would be lumping them together with a lotta less exciting bands. Altho Ten aint jaw-dropping like DT and CM, they are quite unique. The album Stormwarning seems to me a step toward mainstream rock for Ten - understandable, as they have never gotten the attention they merit. Otoh the albums Twilight Chronicles and Babylon, and many songs on other of their albums, have been very special wonderful experiences that I havent gotten from any other group. Gary Hughes is a master at telling gripping existential stories and evoking striking images, he has an extraordinary sense of melody, his singing is powerful, and he has always managed to assemble exceptional musicians and get the best outta them.

It's not without reason that I'v included Ten in my pantheon together with Arena, DT, and other extraordinary groups  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2011-08-10, 17:40:03
Why is it that Paxi can keep the Room alive by regularly writing intesting stuff, and noone else can ?  ;)

That's too much honour. In my absence both Tom and Mad have posted enough interesting things to keep you busy.
But to some extend I'm definitely with you, Nicky. This "Now Playing Thread" could be much more interesting if people would write something personal down about the album or song they're listening to. Recommendations, interesting facts, etc. This is the place!

One critical note to Nicky: it's 'interesting' instead of 'intesting'. ;)

I actually meant the song Stormwarning, but of course I should have written "title song"  :-[

Yes, you should have! But you didn't! *ola*

OK, but I'd say that their degree of musical prog is about equal to that of Marillion (both) and Threshold. E.g. DT and CM are way more prog musically  ;)

Will you ever stop. ::) ;)

That would be lumping them together with a lotta less exciting bands. Altho Ten aint jaw-dropping like DT and CM, they are quite unique. The album Stormwarning seems to me a step toward mainstream rock for Ten - understandable, as they have never gotten the attention they merit. Otoh the albums Twilight Chronicles and Babylon, and many songs on other of their albums, have been very special wonderful experiences that I havent gotten from any other group. Gary Hughes is a master at telling gripping existential stories and evoking striking images, he has an extraordinary sense of melody, his singing is powerful, and he has always managed to assemble exceptional musicians and get the best outta them.

It's not without reason that I'v included Ten in my pantheon together with Arena, DT, and other extraordinary groups  ;)

I posted a really big bit of text on monday and all you do is take out that tiny bit about Ten and forget about all other things I said.
I refuse to reply to the last quoted text! >:(

;D

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-08-10, 18:14:29
I posted a really big bit of text on monday and all you do is take out that tiny bit about Ten and forget about all other things I said.

Paxi, I'm busy these days. That's also why I don't proofread sufficiently. I'l get back to the other stuff .....  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Pinkroom ~ Psychosolstice
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

Assimilated Mind Phase ~ Omega [28:14]

Peter

BREITENBACH - Sail Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di-r5xOmoTg&feature=related

sound is totally overdriven, but nice song, nvthlss. Found the band through a colleague who posted me this very special video:
Breitenbach "Waiting"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRFrUFPdRk
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Genesis - Entangled

Best mellotron song ever!

PH

Arena - "Contagion"
2. An Angel Falls

It's been a while since I last played this album. I think as a member of this forum, everyone of us should play this album at least twice a month. ;)
Same goes for the rest of Arena's discography.

It's a really intense album.
Gotta go now, Painted Man will begin now and it needs my attention! ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2011-08-16, 14:15:40
I think as a member of this forum, everyone of us should play this album at least twice a month. ;)
Same goes for the rest of Arena's discography.

That's not quite my listening style, Paxi. I listen to a lotta different music, like I'v run thousands of groups during the past ten years. When I find a masterpiece, then I forget about everything else and just replay it again and again - till I start needing something else. I did just that with Contagion some five years ago. Of course I do pick it up again now and then.

One of the masterpieces I'v been stuck on lately is:

NP  Yes:  Fly From Here

First time I played it, I started crying, I was simply so overwhelmed. Hasnt happened to me like that for years (not even Nostradamus did it quite that way). The music was simply sooo beautiful, Steve Howe does his magic, like on Going For The One, David Benoit sings so wonderfully, the evocative lyrics, just everything on those first two songs, brought back so many memories .....

WOW, that's music at its best, when it simply carries ya away like that  :) :) :)

Great to be back in YesWorld  8)

Got Drama too btw. Until recently I was sure that wouldnt happen, cuz I couldnt imagine Yes without Jon. But Fly and Drama are Yes too, for real  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I have just been listening to Genesis - "Wind And Wuthering"

It's again a magical album. I love every song of it. Lots of amazing keyboard work on this, both on musical composition as solos. This is quite the Banks album actually.
Love it.

The last song, Afterglow, was worthy enough for replay. I hit the replay button four times. ;D Beautiful song, and one of the best closers on any album.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2011-08-16, 22:39:34
Afterglow

Great song  *horns*

Another album that I'v been in seventh heaven with is:

Circus Maximus:  Isolate

I actually bought it a couple of years ago, played it a few times, thought it was good, but rather contrived  :-\

Recently I picked it up again, and as with all true prog albums, the "contrived" has been transformed into musical adventure. Man, what an exciting album  *horns*

According to Wikipedia, they'r recording a new album. I'm pretty stoked  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2011-08-17, 14:58:28
Great song  *horns*

Another album that I'v been in seventh heaven with is:

Circus Maximus:  Isolate

I actually bought it a couple of years ago, played it a few times, thought it was good, but rather contrived  :-\

Recently I picked it up again, and as with all true prog albums, the "contrived" has been transformed into musical adventure. Man, what an exciting album  *horns*

According to Wikipedia, they'r recording a new album. I'm pretty stoked  8)

Nicky.

That's why it's great to listen to albums after a while. It makes you rediscover it.

By the way, you made me very curious about the new Yes album!

Now playing:
Kino - "Picture"
1. Loser's Day Parade

Still as good as it was six years ago!

PH

Electric Light Orchestra - "Time"
5. The Way Life's Meant To Be

One really good album! I've been told that this is actually the last good ELO album. It's already very different from "Out Of The Blue".

Nicky, I saw that you have exactly the same three ELO albums in your listening profile:
"New World Record", "Out Of The Blue" and "Time".

What can you tell about them? I find them highly enjoyable. The songs are über-catchy! ;)

maddox

Dream Theater ~ On the Backs of Angels  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-08-10, 10:29:31
Roine Stolt - "Wall Street Voodoo"
3. Dirt

I really want to like The Flower Kings, but I can't. I have one Flower Kings album, "Paradox Hotel", but there are just a few songs that click with me, I think two or three.
Apart from The Flower Kings, I love EVERYTHING Roine Stolt is involved in. He is just one gifted guitarist with cool ideas and a very nice voice. He was great with Kaipa and his involvement in The Tangent, still is great with TransAtlantic.
I don't hear much talk about Kaipa or The Tangent here by the way. Is there anyone who even likes them?

Does anyone know more about Agents Of Mercy, 3rd World Electric and Circus Brimstone?

You have my least favourite Flower Kings CD. If you want to give them another chance then I would recommend Space Revolver.

I listen to The Tangent from time to time and Kaipa as well.

I don't however know anything about Agents Of Mercy, 3rd World Electric and Circus Brimstone

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2011-08-16, 14:37:59

One of the masterpieces I'v been stuck on lately is:

NP  Yes:  Fly From Here

First time I played it, I started crying, I was simply so overwhelmed. Hasnt happened to me like that for years (not even Nostradamus did it quite that way). The music was simply sooo beautiful, Steve Howe does his magic, like on Going For The One, David Benoit sings so wonderfully, the evocative lyrics, just everything on those first two songs, brought back so many memories .....

WOW, that's music at its best, when it simply carries ya away like that  :) :) :)

Great to be back in YesWorld  8)

Got Drama too btw. Until recently I was sure that wouldnt happen, cuz I couldnt imagine Yes without Jon. But Fly and Drama are Yes too, for real  *horns*

Nicky.

I like the CD too and I am glad you are back in YesWorld.

NP UFO The Chrysalis Years which is a complete bargain if like me you don't own any UFO.

I have also been playing out of the tunnel's mouth by Steve Hackett and it is really growing on me. It may well turn out to be his best work since leaving Genesis.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-08-17, 21:22:17
What can you tell about them?

Man, that's a long time ago, Paxi:  When I first heard Rockaria! in the mid-70's, I was spellbound !  I had never heard anything like that before: An intense melodic soprano segueing into a (at the time) hard-driving rock'n'roll song ... and after a while returning to the classical mood. What a tension, and what beauty - Whew !

Things moved slowly in those days. One could dwell on an album for weeks. I played A New World Record over and over again - and then I had friends in First Life that I could share these things with, today they still listen to E.L.O. and Zep, and havent moved on to DT and stuff ... hm, guess life is too comfy here in Mermaidland  ;)

Then it was Out Of The Blue, which also enthralled me for weeks  :)

Now I just played Time thru twice. Oh yeah, sure I can re-live that mood today ... but it does seem remote.

Here's a real nice song from Eldorado that also brings back a lotta memories - ooooo:

E.L.O.:  Can´t Get You Out Of My Head     www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi92aKQEwXI

However, today I'm into more intense stuff like:

Keep of Kalessin:  Reptilian

At last I got this album (from Amazon), and man, what a treat it is  *horns*

Guess some Roomies got frightened by the harsh vocals, but as one of the main tenets in Indian spirituality states it: You must overcome your fear ! And, seriously, I would claim: To become a full-fledged proggie, when firsting some music, one must learn to bear thru with some initial discomfort, and in fact disregard all sorts of random sym- and antipathies, and cut thru to the underlying substance ... for else one misses a lotta fine music, like this masterpiece.

Man, there is so much greatness here - intensity, melody, tremendous guitar runs, you find everything great in rock here - ya just gotta learn how to listen in ... and then it's all there  ;)

I also played this fine album a couple'o times:

Steve Hackett:  Please Don't Touch

Wikipedia:

Please Don't Touch is the second solo album by English guitarist Steve Hackett, and his first after leaving Genesis in 1977.

The album featured several guests including R&B singer Randy Crawford, American folk icon Richie Havens, the drummer and vocalist for the progressive rock band Kansas (Phil Ehart and Steve Walsh respectively), Frank Zappa alumnus Tom Fowler, Genesis concert drummer Chester Thompson, and Van der Graaf violinist Graham Smith.

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Please_Don%27t_Touch

Quite some musicians !

Here's a real nice song from the album for you guys, with the legendary Richie Havens singing:

Steve Hackett:  How Can I?    www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEnvCGZV3c

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Wolverine ~ Communication Lost

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-08-08, 23:18:44
better than Nicky.

Whaddaya know about that  :P

I could go on forever about Genesis. For me it's the ultimate Progressive band (at least the best of the classic bands).

Paxi, how much have you actually listened to Floyd, Yes, Zep, Bowie, Jethro Tull, Queen, 10cc, and Elton John - classic groups and artists that are basically just as prog and just as excellent as Genesis ?

How about going properly thru their catalogues ?

If there's any rock group that's ultimate, I'd say it's gotta be The Beatles  *horns*

They've made an excellent combination of Industrial and heavy rock, or even metal, and then some more.

They manage to combine music, show, and provocation in a way that lotta people like, people who don't have any sense of true metal  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Today:
Camel - Rajaz
Ulysses - The Gift Of Tears
Collage - Moonshine
Lisa LaRue's 2KX - Fast And Blue
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Ben Craven ~ Great and Terrible Potions

Through Progstreaming.

It's a Dutch site, created by one of the reviewers of Progwereld (Dutch counterpart of DPRP) and on this site you can listen to albums in it's entirety before you buy it.
This gives you the opportunity to first listen, and then buy.

And the best thing is: It's totally legal, with the acceptance of both artist and/or recordlabels.  *horns*