News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Twilight of the Bands

Started by Clive, Fri, 2007-08-03, 10:17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

At the risk of being the Harbinger of doom, it may be time to consider something.
Perhaps we are reaching the end for many of the bands we are used to having around in the 'Neo - Prog' world.
With the surge of downloading, and the demise of CD sales, it has become increasingly difficult for these bands to survive.
Many of them have attempted to increase their live profile in an attempt to find alternative revenue.
This has in turn lead to audiences being more choosy about their nights out, and in consequence has provided another loss for the bands.
We are so used to expecting the likes of Pallas, Pendragon, IQ, Arena, Landmarq, Galahad and many more to 'just be around'....

Just a suggestion, but perhaps we should value these bands while we still can.....

Appelmoes??

Where can I donate? ;)

On a more serious note, I think it's indeed hard for bands to get around. Just look at Threshold. Mac had to quit the band because his girlfriend had to work more when he was on tour. That means he couldn't get around with what he made for singing for Threshold. It's no wonder some bands choose to be (more) "commercial", just to make a living and the guarantee to be able to stay together as a  band. And to me bands should never have to change their style just to make some more money. Although I'm sure it's a very hard decision for the bands.

It's one of the reasons I BUY my music, instead of downloading it.

Downloading... BAAAAD!!! >:(
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

bluepony

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2007-08-03, 12:52:42
It's one of the reasons I BUY my music, instead of downloading it.

Downloading... BAAAAD!!! >:(

Yep, I totally agree!

On the other hand, when there were still tapes (I wonder, does anybody still listen to music cassettes?), people were trading tapes with the latest "hot" bands/music, then it was trading CDs, now it's downloading... as long as you just download as a test and then go out and buy the album, I think it's OK. But of course I know that there are many people out there who download just everything they can get (music, movies etc.).  :-[

PH

Yes, this is sad...

Maybe we can donate indeed.
Marillion did that isn't it?

Nicky007

I think it's important - and natural for a fan - to buy the albums, dvd's and go to the gigs. One can also sell special things to fans on fan sites, in that way fans can donate.

I think using Myspace, Youtube, Wikipedia and the like to the full extent is a good thing, because in that way one can achieve max outreach.

Re people's conservatism and defensiveness, wherever I go, I talk music with people, try to identify their tastes, and I always have my Walkman with me (I'm an old guy, rem), and I ask people to just listen to this one song, you know, that style. And very often people get startled and say, hey, that's great, where can I find more of that? When I have guests at home, I always give'm a taste of my latest discoveries.

The reason why quality rock has such a small fan base isn't because people are blunt, but because they don't go out of their way to find it.

So guys, let's get some good ideas on the table. Your turn now.

Nicky.

So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Appelmoes??

Ooooh! I'd pay for that big hat Rob was wearing last year!! ;)

But is Arena also in it's twillight? Clive?

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-08-03, 13:05:16
Yes, this is sad...

Maybe we can donate indeed.
Marillion did that isn't it?

Yes they did. Before they even started on Anoraknophobia they asked their fans to pre-order the album even before they had anything written so they could pay for recordings/studio time.
A very original idea i might add. It certainly helped them financially. Somewhere Else is the first album without that pre-ordering.

I might be a good idea for Arena too but the only problem is that Marillion is more well-known than Arena is. Unfortunately i might add. That might cause some problems.
But then again, i don't know the financial capacity of Arena. Fortunately i might add.  :D

Bands are able to use sites like MySpace to reach new listeners but unfortunately that doesn't pay the bills alone. Bands like Arena need their fans and the fans of prog/sympho rock to buy the actual albums. The real thing.

It frightens me to hear that bands are getting more and more in trouble because of downloading.
I'm not a hypocrite so i admit that i occasionally do that too but, and that's easy to say from this side and hard to believe from your (the person reading this message) side, i always want the real thing myself. As a collector it isn't fulfilling to have the music on a plain silver disc without the feeling that it's real. That it is made by musicians who share the same passion for music as i do and are willing to share their creativity even if that means paying a price.

I personally don't want Arena in any twilight and i'm sure a lot of other roomies will agree with that.

I value almost any prog/sympho band there is so it concerns me big time.  :-\
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

And what does that add up to, Maddox?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

HelenDo

I do value my fave prog rock bands and try to support them in any way I can. For example I have a wardrobe full of Marillion t-shirts  ;D and have travelled around the UK to see Pendragon. In the case of Arena I can only do this if:

1. There is a gig to go to (I couldn't make Sheffield on the last tour & was disappointed there wasn't a London or SE Engand gig). Travelling to Europe is beyond my means at the moment.
2. A CD to buy
3. Merch on sale either at a gig (see above) or via a website.

Give me opportunities to spend money & I will do so  ;)

Helen xx

CompanyCroydon

Arena should play the PEEL. ;D

johninblack

Quote from: CompanyCroydon on Mon, 2007-08-06, 09:46:26

Best idea I've heard today! fine suggestion!

bellanova

The only problem for me with The Peel is getting home late at night on my own to the other side of London!

CompanyCroydon

The band can be off by 11pm, So there is no problem ;D

bluepony

Quote from: CompanyCroydon on Mon, 2007-08-06, 09:46:26

Alright, but how about the rest of us who don't live in the UK? :(

johninblack

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-08-06, 15:26:06
Alright, but how about the rest of us who don't live in the UK? :(

Come over here for the weekend, we would love to see you here!

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

bluepony

Quote from: johninblack on Mon, 2007-08-06, 16:05:12
Come over here for the weekend, we would love to see you here!

Mmm, might do so, careful there!  ;)

Oh, and I hope you're aware that you'd have to buy me lots of JD (preferably with Coke)!!  ;D

johninblack

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-08-06, 16:56:40
Mmm, might do so, careful there!  ;)

Oh, and I hope you're aware that you'd have to buy me lots of JD (preferably with Coke)!!  ;D

Not a problem!

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2007-08-06, 16:50:27
All of us? ;D

Oh yes!

bluepony

Well, thanks for the invitation!  :) I'll let you know when I'm planning a UK trip - but I think there are no Arena concerts planned for the near future...?

Clive

True... there are no gigs planned. I believe there is something next year, in Holland.

johninblack

Quote from: Clive on Thu, 2007-08-09, 12:55:06
True... there are no gigs planned. I believe there is something next year, in Holland.

Forget the UK then people, we can all go stay with PH, Appelmoes?? and the rest of the 'Dutchies'

Nicky007

That's ok, John, as long as I have you and Clive around to maintain some British civility  ;D

It just seems to me that the people who should be marketing Arena aren't quite up to it. Honestly! Arena are a top prog group. Wherever people have heard their music, they get praised, often over the top. The problem is though that the only big forum where they're somewhat known is Amazon.

Now, if the people who should be making Arena known are not doing it sufficiently, maybe we in the Room ought to get some feelings of responsibility.

We have a group here who are making unbelievably good music, and they're still a niche group - after twelve years. Unbearable!

OK, guys, it's high time, who's got some creative ideas?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-08-09, 13:47:03
We have a group here who are making unbelievably good music, and they're still a niche group - after twelve years. Unbearable!
OK, guys, it's high time, who's got some creative ideas?

Nicky.

You see that very question on the IQ forum, Pendragon Forum, every forum.....unfortunately it seems 'Prog' is still a very dirty word. The answer, I don't know, wish i did! Perhaps it needs a prog band to make and be sucessfull with a couple of good 'pop' songs, of course as soon as they did that they would be accused of all sorts including selling out and betraying the genre....I don't see an answer and far far greater brains than mine have pondered this and got nowhere. Maybe it's just a case of waiting for 'Prog' to become more acceptable 'to the masses'

bluepony

Quote from: johninblack on Thu, 2007-08-09, 14:11:48

Maybe it's just a case of waiting for 'Prog' to become more acceptable 'to the masses'

We might be waiting for a while before that happens... Sadly, I think most people prefer music that is easy to listen to (as otherwise you'd hear a lot more 'good' music on the radio, not that easy-listening-pop stuff).  :(

bellanova

Its the idiots that control the music industry. They promote the music that is going to make them a fast buck. Manufactured rubbish like boybands, r n b etc. Real talent counts for nothing nowadays and the kids grow up thinking that this stuff is real music. I cant see it getting any better either. i just have no idea what we can do about it.