News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Stride

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-09-10, 10:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Nobody but me in the Room has mentioned Stride, so I'd like to introduce you guys to one of the absolute greatest prog groups in the world. Stride's album Imagine (2005) is a masterpiece at the top level together with Dark Side Of The Moon and Contagion. Yes, I really mean that! And I'm sure that you guys will agree with me at least to some extent.

Here (for the second time in the Room, I think you all ignored my first placement  >:( ) is a link to a live performance of their masterful song Imagine:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8jmRLMWRm4

Stride is a Houston based group. Their album before Imagine, Music Machine, is entirely instrumental. It's excellent, but the addition of the great singer Gary Belin boosted Stride to the top level of prog.

The reason why I call the album Imagine a masterpiece is that it has everything that a proggie loves, incl. great lyrics.

And crank up the volume FGS!

OK, now I'm looking forward to your reactions.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Peter

Hmmm, good rockers, indeed.

But defintely not prog. Pretty straight forward Hard Rock to me. Using a keyboard doesn't make a band a prog band, ya know. Not that I'm totally obsessed about the 'prog' thing...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Well, Cap, you gotta hear some more of them. They have all the different moods, and definitely push the envelope in all ways IMO.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Alternative Rock.

Sounds good by the way. The singer is brilliant.

Nicky007

All this classifying ....  ;D

BTW I like your "by the way", Paco, talking about understatement.  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-09-10, 12:30:09
All this classifying ....  ;D
Wait a minute - aren't you the one who started it?!
(see "Prog or not prog" thread)
We're just doing your thing! ;D  ;)

Nicky007

Since you guys seem to think that I smoke my head off with pot when I listen to Stride, here's an excellent review that I found in Progarchives (after having found out that Zeuhl is frog-prog  ;D ):

STRIDE — Imagine

Review by White Feather

I have a confession to make ... I love progressive rock and I also love classic rock, so how was I to feel when I finally heard this CD, lets just say I dropped my jaw and couldn't believe how well it all came together. Stride have Dream Theater chops, consider it if Dream Theater and Boston merged into the same band, throw in some intelligent Enchant or even Rush lyrics (though the lyrics like the music are diverse also), then get Brad Delp or Steve Walsh to manage the vocals and that just about sums up what culminates in this CD. There's not a bad song on this CD, about the nearest CD in style to it I can think of is Presto Ballets "piece among the ruins". If you liked that you will LOVE what Stride have managed to accomplish here, I would call its (neo Bach melodic classic prog metal rock) because they cover all those styles and do it with perfection! Stride should greatly appeal to anybody that's into Kansas, Rush, Shadow Gallery, Dream Theater, Symphony X, and even Boston. Stride are a powerful act that have definitely achieved something great with this recording! Get this CD as soon as possible, i'ts a masterpiece!

There are enough buzzwords for you, Bupie and Teunis. So how about gettin your a*s over to the CD-store  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-02, 15:06:15
Since you guys seem to think that I smoke my head off with pot when I listen to Stride, here's an excellent review that I found in Progarchives (after having found out that Zeuhl is frog-prog  ;D ):

STRIDE — Imagine

Review by White Feather

I have a confession to make ... I love progressive rock and I also love classic rock, so how was I to feel when I finaly heard this CD, lets just say I dropped my jaw and couldn`t believe how well it all came together. Stride have Dream Theater chops consider it if Dream Theater and Boston merged into the same band, throw in some intelligent Enchant or even Rush lyrics (though the lyrics like the music are diverse also), then get Brad Delp or Steve Walsh to manage the vocals and that just about sums up what culminates in this CD. Theres not a bad song on this CD, about the nearest CD in style to it I can think of is Presto Ballets "piece among the ruins" if you liked that you will LOVE what Stride have managed to accomplish here, I would call its (neo Bach melodic classic prog metal rock) because they cover all those styles and do it with perfection ! Stride should greatly appeal to anybody that's into Kansas, Rush, Shadow Gallery, Dream Theater, Symphony X, and even Boston. Stride are a powerful act that have definitely achieved something great with this recording! Get this CD as soon as possible, i'ts a masterpiece!

There are enough buzzwords for you, Bupie and Teunis. So how about gettin your a*s over to the CD-store   ;D

Nicky.

Wow !  If it sounds like it is described, this is indeed a must-have. I am gonna check it very soon.

Nicky007

That was a fast response, Bupie. I think we should call you Quickass from now on  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-02, 15:17:45
That was a fast response, Bupie. I think we should call you Quickass from now on  ;D

Nicky.

It took me a little more time but I ordered the CD after watching the Youtube video. Since I just heard one song out of the entire album, I'll let you know if you were to be trusted on this one  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2007-10-03, 16:22:26
Since I just heard one song out of the entire album [Imagine, in both cases]

but what a song, huh, Bupie?

>  I'll let you know if you were to be trusted on this one  ;)

You can always trust me, Bupsie, even with your wife; remember, I'm English, not French  ;D ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can