News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Technology

Started by Higgins III, Sun, 2005-10-09, 01:35:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanderwoude

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-10, 00:05:26
LOL that one made me laugh! :D

I want an MP3-player but I still see no advantages besides it's small.

+'s:
- it's small
- there's 512 MB on a MP3-player (at least more than an audiodisc :P)

-'s:
- there's no point in using that small thing, it's dangerous to listen to it while riding the bike i.e.
- My discman can play MP3 too, it can have 700 MB on one disc which is more than 512 MB (yes, I did that without a calculator).

There are not that many +'s that lift up to the -'s really.

A few more +'s
- The ones up to 512 mb are very cheap nowadays.
- It's using less batteries.
- They're lightweight

But the bigest + is the size, this comes in handy especially in school between the (mostly very dull  ::)) lessons, you can easily grap you little musicfriend and listen to it's wonderful sounds. Even during lessons you can use it, you can put it in your pocket, and then there even is room left on your table to put your TI 83+  :P
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Higgins III

there is a bad ass problem with the IPOD nano though. The battery pack is defective so to sort it, americans who brought it got a new battery pack for free but in england anyone who brought them before the problem was solved has to go out and by the new battery pack. But now the problem is solved, not to worry and if you buy an IPOD nano now it has the new battery pack so all is well. Isn't it good that problems are solved so quickly. In my mind the problem shouldn't have happened at all. But there is no developments and advances in technology with out problems. we're humans we all make mistakes *coughs* except me *coughs ;D*
...wot does the rest of the alphabet equal?

PH

I thought IPods were bigger than MP3-players?

Well maybe I should get one anyway.
I'm open minded about it.

Besides that, it's just one month till my birthday and then we have 'Sinterklaas'.

By the way, a TI 83+ is not a really big thing. But it would be nice to save some MP3s on it.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2005-10-09, 15:26:40
I have the CD but on it it says the following:

This Compact disc is not digitally recorded.

This means that they just copied the anologue stuff onto a digital CD.

The audio does not have to be digitally recorded to be on CD... (ELTON JOHN - 'Songs From The West Coast')  for example was recorded entirely in analogue, but was still released on CD.

The point is that in order for audio to be put on CD, it has to be in a digital 'state'.  Albeit, this is done in the A-D converters as it enters the burner, so the quality is stepped up slightly anyway. :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Appelmoes??

The fridge... It keeps the beer cool 8)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Vanderwoude

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-10, 13:13:45
I thought IPods were bigger than MP3-players?

By the way, a TI 83+ is not a really big thing. But it would be nice to save some MP3s on it.

The 'normal' IPod and IPod mini are bigger. The Nano is about as small as a 512mb mp3 player

TI 83+ smalll ??  ??? You're kiddin'
And it is very heavy to.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Higgins III

Im sorry if i tread on people's toes with this but...........I.............Really don't care. The IPOD is all well and good and they have put loads of advertisment into making it better and everything but i find that IPODs are very.......boring. Notice how only people who want to show off and chavs have IPODs. Personally i think everyone is much better off with an MP3 player  because its smaller it has loads of space (512 mb ain't too bad) and it is more reliable in the long run.

Higgins III

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-10-10, 14:55:07
The audio does not have to be digitally recorded to be on CD... (ELTON JOHN - 'Songs From The West Coast')  for example was recorded entirely in analogue, but was still released on CD.

The point is that in order for audio to be put on CD, it has to be in a digital 'state'.  Albeit, this is done in the A-D converters as it enters the burner, so the quality is stepped up slightly anyway. :)

Am i right in thinking that all CD burners or atleast modern ones do actually all have analogue-digital converters. Oh thats a point. A-D converters has reminded me about camcorders and digital camera's. Their bloody good ones. I love camcorders ;D

PH

Quote from: Higgins III on Tue, 2005-10-11, 00:30:48
Im sorry if i tread on people's toes with this but...........I.............Really don't care. The IPOD is all well and good and they have put loads of advertisment into making it better and everything but i find that IPODs are very.......boring. Notice how only people who want to show off and chavs have IPODs. Personally i think everyone is much better off with an MP3 player  because its smaller it has loads of space (512 mb ain't too bad) and it is more reliable in the long run.

I see your point... but on a CD you can put 700 MB. And with a discman you can switch discs easily. You take your discman and 10 CDs. Then you'll have 7 GB of music, and it's cheaper.

Therefore I won't buy a 512 MB MP3-player and is an iPod more of an option to me really.
But that thing is still very expensive for us Dutch.

rocker666

Quote from: Higgins III on Tue, 2005-10-11, 00:30:48

mmm, iPod boring, cheap, crappy sounding 512MB player good?????
Well, I bought an iPod 20GB, not to show off, not because I'm a chav but because I wanted the best sounding player on the market, with the easiest to use software. I also wanted to be able to use it as a storage device for photos whilst out on location.

Wondered how long it would be before everyone started having a go at Apple/iPod for being successful

Si
Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2005-10-11, 07:37:47
I see your point... but on a CD you can put 700 MB. And with a discman you can switch discs easily. You take your discman and 10 CDs. Then you'll have 7 GB of music, and it's cheaper.

Therefore I won't buy a 512 MB MP3-player and is an iPod more of an option to me really.
But that thing is still very expensive for us Dutch.

That's exactly why I still use Minidisk!  700Mb of music on a disc half the size of a CD!

Marvellous! :P ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Higgins III

Quote from: rocker666 on Tue, 2005-10-11, 10:48:08

mmm, iPod boring, cheap, crappy sounding 512MB player good?????
Well, I bought an iPod 20GB, not to show off, not because I'm a chav but because I wanted the best sounding player on the market, with the easiest to use software. I also wanted to be able to use it as a storage device for photos whilst out on location.

Wondered how long it would be before everyone started having a go at Apple/iPod for being successful

Si

I see your point. I quess the ipod isn't a bad thing to have but i still stick to my guns. Its not all ipods i don't like im specifically looking at the ipod nano. i quess i should have been a little bit more specific about that. but i thank you for your views and giving me some interesting info there.

Higgins III

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Tue, 2005-10-11, 15:49:55
That's exactly why I still use Minidisk! 700Mb of music on a disc half the size of a CD!

Marvellous! :P ;D

Ah yes. I forgot about minidisk players. The good collection of music you would listen to while you walk to places such as kniton heath and such other places. Walking! Even though that isn't digital technology or any technology its great but i still can't figure out how you could walk to kniton heath. Then again i've walked back from bournemouth before so i can't really say much. But a bloody nice walk it was to. All the way across the beaches and then up to sandbanks then back into the quay and then home. Very nice. ;D

rocker666

Ahhh right, well iPod NANO is a completely different matter....I think it's a waste of time as well! For that money you could buy a higher capacity iPod mini, which would also be WAY more robust

TBH, I used to have a cassette walkman, then a Discman, then a Discman which played MP3 CD's, then a minidisk and now I have an iPod. The only one that has had a real effect on me and my listening habits has been the iPod. The other formats are fine, my CD player in my car also play MP3 CD's so I went down that route for a while BUT it's still only 700MB before you have to change it. To me that is one of the two biggest advantages, holding 20GB means NEVER having to change a disk etc, surely a major advantage over any of the other formats. The other great advantage is the playlist idea. Create as many personal playlists as you like, taking up hardly any storage space and then listen to them. For example I have about 25 different playlists on mine, everything from very Heavy Metal for while I'm get ready for a night out to relaxing ballads, pop etc for sitting at home with my wife over a glass of wine!

Sorry for the essay lol

Si
Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man

PH

Quote from: rocker666 on Mon, 2005-10-10, 10:23:41
Ermmmm, there#s way more than 512MB on a LOT of MP3's - like my 20GB iPod for example

Si

Yup, but those are still really new, and are mostly very expensive.
But I'm considering to buy one.

maddox

I'm thinking about buying an Ipod or something similar too but i the price is way too expensive. Above the 1GB usely begins around 100 euro's and i wanted one with at least 10 gb, so...

Working more overtime i guess.

MAD.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

Just forget about the ipods. Half of the price you pay is the brand. And the windows software is absolutely shitty. Just go along with Creative Jukebox, or iriver...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2006-02-19, 17:06:46
Just forget about the ipods. Half of the price you pay is the brand. And the windows software is absolutely shitty. Just go along with Creative Jukebox, or iriver...

I agree with you on that. Most of those major companies have the same problem.

MAD.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.