News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Threshold - Subsurface

Started by Peter, Thu, 2005-01-13, 23:05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Whoa, this album just made its way to my ear. Veeeery fine music, catching vocals too. Maybe I will need to update my listening profile after a few spins of this album  :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Gollum

What kind of music do they play? I guess it's some kind of prog-rock, but if you can give me any hint... I'm becoming Arena-dependent, need some new stuff to be enthusiastic at...
La vergüenza de haber sido y el dolor de ya no ser

Moonloop

They're more prog-metal really, similar to Enchant but possibly more intense, UKs answer to Dream Theater. "Subsurface" is a great album but I do have a soft spot for the first one "Wounded Land".  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Oliver Twist

Yes excellent album - and seeing them live I still can't belive how Johanne gets so much noise from such a small kit and with only two arms

Must admit I do like Damiens vox on the early albums though

Ian
web.mac.com/ianmoff  - iChat/AIM: ianmoff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do your ears a favour - www.radioparadise.com

Mark Jan

Subsurface is a good album, as well as the previous two albums, but my problem with Threshold is that their music is almost an hour loud and bombastic. I miss the slow and sesible passages. There are not enough 'Avalon's' on the Thresholdalbums.

Moonloop

Quote from: Mark Jan on Thu, 2005-01-27, 17:12:12
Subsurface is a good album, as well as the previous two albums, but my problem with Threshold is that their music is almost an hour loud and bombastic. I miss the slow and sesible passages. There are not enough 'Avalon's' on the Thresholdalbums.

That's a fair comment. I can't really see anyone wanting to play two Threshold albums back-to-back for example  ;)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Constable Hogweed

Try playing "Subsurface" and "Critical Mass" back to back Moonloop. You will be exhausted but ecstatic.  :)

gelert

Quote from: Constable Hogweed on Fri, 2005-01-28, 18:19:30
You will be exhausted but ecstatic.  :)

Wouldn't that make you exhaust-stack...?    ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-01-28, 12:12:49
That's a fair comment. I can't really see anyone wanting to play two Threshold albums back-to-back for example  ;)
I do it al the time 8) btw, the older albums of Threshold contain more 'ballads'.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

Threshold is much more than "British answer to Dream Theater". In my opinion, Karl Groom & Co. are just number one group in prog-metal. Last year I was delighted with CD"Replica". Have to say, that I prefer "Hypothetical" and "Critical Mass" to compare with CD"Subsurface". It's just a matter of taste.

Appelmoes??

Clone and Hypothetical are my favorites. Clone has imho opinion the best music and a great story, yet Hypothetical has the best lyrics. Narcissus is an Epic, the strange midsection is brilliant.

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2005-01-13, 23:05:46
Whoa, this album just made its way to my ear. Veeeery fine music, catching vocals too. Maybe I will need to update my listening profile after a few spins of this album  :)
You should try Critical Mass this is even better than Subsurface
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Xanxtuary

Critical Mass is a very special album.  Hogweed first played it to me in  our early days of getting to know each other and for that reason (as well as the lyrics about reincarnation - 12 times before, etc) it will always have a special place in my heart.  Subsurface is special too, as that came out just after me and Hogweed started living together.  I love all the Threshold albums, they are amazing.  I'd love to get my hands on the Critical Energy DVD as well, but I think it may be in NTSC format, which means being limited to watching it on Hoggie's computer rather than on the proper DVD player.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Peter

Quote from: Mark Jan on Thu, 2005-01-27, 17:12:12

In the meantime, I must admit, you are right. I can listen to several Arena albums in a row, not so with Threshold.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Teunis

I'm checking out Threshold with some soundbytes. Especially the albums with Damian Wilson on vocals, one of my all-time favorite singers. On the Damian Wilson forum 'Wounded land' was recommended to me, they say it has stronger melodies than 'Extinct Instinct'. Downloaded the song 'Paradox' of that album and I like what I hear. Have to buy that album in a while, have other albums that I want to buy first.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Appelmoes??

Forget the other albums, buy wounded land first!

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-08-08, 12:06:25
Forget the other albums, buy wounded land first!
I have wounded land, but I prefer Hypothetical and Critical Mass

Teunis

I think I'll follow Appelmoes?? advice, because Damian sings on that album. Thanks!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

rocker666

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-08-07, 16:43:34
  I'd love to get my hands on the Critical Energy DVD as well, but I think it may be in NTSC format, which means being limited to watching it on Hoggie's computer rather than on the proper DVD player.

Nope, definitely available on PAL 'cos I've got it!
Stunning live set, as someone else said somewhere, how does Johanne get that much sound from such a small kit?

One of my favourite bands, hope to see them live next year

Si
Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man

Emilia

I just spotted this thread... I think I will repeat myself here cos I also bought the "Subsurface" album and I absolutely adore the music... not too bombastic and loud for me though ...can listen to it over and over again. My abs favourites are:
Art of Reason - the longest one ... perhaps the most aggressive in terms of lyrics and articulation of words ...but it perfectly fits into the political situation in my country :) so I guess it got my 100% understanding and it's really up to date cos we just had presidential elections yeasterday :) I LOVE the way the theme "can you give me the reason..." repeats and returns throughout the whole song ... together with the more peaceful and complex middle part followed by thrilling, kind of "orchestral" re-introduction of the heavier theme.

My top 3 from this album is completed by Opium (also a bit socio-political stuff) and Destruction of Words (about communication between people and its intricacies, I guess).

I like the way they explain the origins and recording process of each song at the back of the leaflet and on the photograhic side...I can not resist a feeling the photos were taken somewhere around my place :), the scenery is very similar ...and gloomy....:)

There is also one "ballad" 'Flags and Footprints' which is not bad but it was originally written for a piano and I only can regret they are using so little of this instrument. I would like this song more if it was recorded with the piano.
I haven't bought anything else by them so far so maybe someone could recommend someting more..?
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Emilia on Mon, 2005-10-10, 10:23:47

I haven't bought anything else by them so far so maybe someone could recommend someting more..?
Emilia
Hypothetical & Clone are my fav's

My drawings on MySpace

TomSawYa

Quote from: Emilia on Mon, 2005-10-10, 10:23:47

Started off with subsurface as well and this was besides pepper´s ghost my personal disc of the year ... so far. My faves are "mission profile" and "flags and footprints" - but I love all tracks. I also bought critical mass and hypothetical and I must admit, that hypothetical comes very very close to subsurface and I can understand everyone who puts that record on top. On "critical mass" the title track is really outstanding, besides that I prefer the other ones. Clone is already ordered.

Changes aren´t permanent - but change is !

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-10-10, 12:44:41
Hypothetical & Clone are my fav's
I thought that Wounded Land was Your favourite, You once said that before, or do I confuse You with someone else. My favourites are Hypothetical & Critical Mass, I didn't try Clone yet, It must be nice if as it's one of Your favourites.

Herben

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2005-08-07, 21:01:32
In the meantime, I must admit, you are right. I can listen to several Arena albums in a row, not so with Threshold.
I was already listening Threshold for some weeks about 5 albums, can't get enough of it, the way they bring the music is superb. songs like Ravages of Time with the ticking clock and then the musical explosion, Devoted, Mission Profile, Paradox, Turn on Tune in, Phenomenon. You just get addicted by it.

Herben

Threshold are going to bring out a new album, I got an email they will bring it out early 2007.