News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater

Started by Deenfan, Sat, 2008-03-15, 20:51:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Deenfan

This is a spin-off from a thread that went off topic and off section...

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-03-15, 11:22:50
I couldnt disagree more with you, Appy and Deenie  :)

I love Arena music, period !  However, for me, DT have settled at the absolute top, beyond all competition, the greatest rock group since Pink Floyd's Dark Side to The Final Cut period. All DT albums from Images on are masterpieces, and DT are simply getting better and better, increasingly varied and striking in their expression  *horns*

You can listen to a DT album a million times, and the million and first time, you'l still be hearing new things and having new experiences.

Nicky.

Well, if I had to listen to five Dream Theater albums tomorrow, I'd play "When dream and day unite" five times. "Images and words" is a masterpiece, but I think I've worn it out. "Awake" still has some magic, but LaBrie has started singing ugly and it is less melodic. The best moment is "Space-dye vest", which is Kevin Moore's farewell, and a very strong moment. I almost want to cry, because it's the last song on the album, and it's the last, strong blast of magic from a dying sun. :-[

Nicky007

I say

:o ::) ??? :'( :-\ :P

but also

:)

Deenie, you added some strong Dijon to provoke, you rascal you (veeery Eeenglish)  :D

Nicky.

So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Deenie,

We had a few exchanges about DT here : http://shattered-room.net/index.php?topic=990.50

But it's more appropriate to create a dedicated topic as you just did.

Deenfan

Deenfan

But will you look at this!?

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2007-05-23, 10:04:31
Well, I'm not the one who stands beside everyone with a stick in his hand to smack 'em up, right...

The rule of staying on topic in a thread makes sense, though, if you look at the following scenario: a reader (like many) uses the "unread posts since last visit" funtion to see what's new. Now people post about DT in a thread called "Nicky's faves". Maybe a reader is not so interested in "Nicky's faves", so he dismisses the thread, but might be interested in DT nevertheless and then misses the discussion...

:D

The guy's a genius. No wonder he's the mod! Spot on what happened to me.

I will return with my own take on the DT discography. I will be sure to upset and engage... ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-03-18, 22:28:58
I will return with my own take on the DT discography. I will be sure to upset and engage... ;D

You already have, Deenie  :o

Maybe a good start would be to listen to the post-Scenes albums  ;)

And Space-Dye Vest is hardly a DT-song. Portnoy and Petrucci only included it on Awake because they're such nice guys  :) :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2007-05-23, 10:04:31
Maybe a reader is not so interested in "Nicky's faves" ....

Impossible scenario  8)

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-03-18, 23:52:40
And Space-Dye Vest is hardly a DT-song. Portnoy and Petrucci only included it on Awake because they're such nice guys  :) :)

Nicky.
It's more DT than almost every song after that :-\
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

Quite correct, and Portnoy shows what he's made of when he says about the best song on the album that they wouldn't have included it on the album if they knew Kevin would quit. He's obviously off his head and has no concept of magic or quality.

So, there... ;D

Nicky007

For me, Space-Dye Vest is a sleepytime song. There's no real beginning, no ending, no real highs and lows.

I like dramatic music, or we can also say memorable or standout songs, stuff that grips you (at the b*s, m/f) and keeps movin around in your head, long after you've actually played it on your CD-player.

You can take a look at the songs on my LP. They're all like that (at least the later ones).

DT are the incarnation of drama and exploration !

If you dont have the b*s to take it (or to be taken at), it's your problem guys  8)  :)

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-03-19, 12:54:01
I like dramatic music, or we can also say memorable or standout songs, stuff that grips you (at the b*s, m/f) and keeps movin around in your head, long after you've actually played it on your CD-player.

One of the best descriptions of "Space-dye vest" and it's effect on the system I've ever read. ;)

PH

Well, I guess it's all a matter of taste.
So I think we should let this rest. There's no point in convincing the "other side"...

We all like Arena! :)

-Paco

Deenfan

Sensible, absolutely correct... and boring... :-[

:D The good thing about expressing your meaning is that someone out there will feel justified in thinking along the same lines.

It is also good to shake some established truths at times.

Best Dream Theater singer? -Charlie Dominici, of course!  ;D

PH

Quote from: Deenfan on Wed, 2008-03-19, 18:04:37Sensible, absolutely correct... and boring... :-[

:D The good thing about expressing your meaning is that someone out there will feel justified in thinking along the same lines.

It is also good to shake some established truths at times.

Best Dream Theater singer? -Charlie Dominici, of course!  ;D

Alright then... :D
For me it's Scenes and onwards!

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-03-19, 17:26:40
We all like Arena! :)

Betcha ... and we all like - no, love - you Paco  :-* :-* :-*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Deenfan on Wed, 2008-03-19, 18:04:37

So true ...

Deenfan

;)

Did I mention that John Petrucci had a distinctive style of his own on the first album, something that got a bit lost after that?! ;D

Nicky007

Looks like we have the Devil's advocate here - or maybe just a little devil ?

;D

No, it's OK, Deenie. I believe in freedom of speech. Just looks like you'r not getting anywhere with your undertaking here. You'r up against a bunch of diehard DT-fans, as you would have realised had you looked in the archives.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

I might have all albums, but I'm certainly not a die hard fan :o

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

Phew... I don't want to be up against you!!!

Appelmoes??

I'm just one of those people that collects. If you look at my album list, you'll see I've got (almost) complete album collections of most bands like Arena, Threshold, Ayreon,  SX, DT etc...
For some bands, the latest album might be missing, just because I don't like the style the've envolved into anymore, or the first albums, because they didn't had the style I like yet.

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

Like myself and Rush, DT, Black Sabbath... a lot of bands.

johninblack

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-03-19, 18:20:59
Alright then... :D
For me it's Scenes and onwards!

I would have to say that it's the same for me, not that I dislike the pre-scenes albums, it just seems to me that scenes has a mix of the earlier DT style and the more recent and mostly heavier style. Perhaps that is why irrespective of a preference for either the earlier or later albums most people like SFAM.

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2008-03-21, 19:28:56
I'm just one of those people that collects. If you look at my album list, you'll see I've got (almost) complete album collections of most bands like Arena, Threshold, Ayreon,  SX, DT etc...
For some bands, the latest album might be missing, just because I don't like the style the've envolved into anymore, or the first albums, because they didn't had the style I like yet.

Same here, I do exactly the same.

Nicky007

I consider I&W a masterpiece, period. It's just that DT have evolved sooo much. In fact, I can only think of Beatles and Floyd to compare with the enormous territory that DT has explored successfully. So when I hear I&W today, it sounds thin; not that I&W is bad, it's just that the later DT albums are so awesome.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-03-28, 11:23:50
I consider I&W a masterpiece, period. It's just that DT have evolved sooo much. In fact, I can only think of Beatles and Floyd to compare with the enormous territory that DT has explored successfully. So when I hear I&W today, it sounds thin; not that I&W is bad, it's just that the later DT albums are so awesome.

Nicky.

Even if a bit dated (that drums sound  :() I&W is still awesome to my ears. On par with SDOIT  *horns*