News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Moonloop

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-01-25, 14:55:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

Most listened to bands/artists of late would probably include:

Porcupine Tree
Flower Kings
IQ
Neil Young
U2
Mostly Autumn
Pineapple Thief
Spocks Beard
Heather Nova

and many, many more

am adding :-

Camel
The Enid
Wishbone Ash
Barclay James Harvest
Mike Oldfield
Tangerine Dream

going through a retro phase at the moment  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

The Voyager

There is a couple of worthy alternative bands. Instead of Porcupine Tree and TFK. Introduce yourself to OPETH(cd"Damnation"=2003) and RETROHEADS(cd"Retrospective"=2004).

Moonloop

I have the last 3 Opeth albums but haven't heard of Retroheads (will check them out, cheers..!!). Anathema are more than worthy of a listen too and the debut album "out of Myself" by Polish band Riverside.

I think I'd use the phrase "as well as" rather than "instead of" as well  ;)

The Voyager

Sorry my bad english. :( As for Opeth, I like their cd"Damnation". It's predecessors are not my cup of tea. Retroheads is the brainchild of Tore Bo Bendixen(ex-Fruitcake). If you like early TFK, you will be impressed with cd"Retrospective" too. Go to http://www.retroheads.com/

Moonloop

Apologies Voyager, hadn't realised English wasn't your native tongue  :o

I've actually got all the Fruitcake albums so Retroheads does sound like something I would like. I've had a look at the site & read some of the reviews - inteesting that they are likened to Camel who are a big favourite of mine as well. It will certainly go on my "wants" list now. Thanks  ;D

The Voyager

Glad to inform you something special, Moonloop.  :) I think, that Retroheads is the best prog-newcomer for last year! Do you know something about US-trio Navigator? Their influences are gaints of 70-s era (ELP, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd etc.). And such a wonderful site you can see.  http://www.navigatorontheweb.com/

Mark Jan

Never heard of The Retroheads but checked out Progarchives.com for more info. Looks very interesting. Norwegain band, there is always a lot of excellent music coming from the Skandinavian countries!  ;D They've got a couple of longer tracks on their album and use a some old-seventies instruments like moog, mellotron, Hammond. I like that!  ;D

Anathema was mentioned below. I recommend Eternity. Fantastic album. Gloomy, dark, rough, sad, sensitive, Eternity got it all!  ;D