News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

PH's CD list

Started by PH, Tue, 2005-12-20, 07:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:24:20
Yeah, Sugar Mice.
I heard the song first at the Kino gig on 10th december 2005.
Everybody was singing along and it was obvious that it was a song that's close to many people's hearts. At that moment I didn't know about it though.

-Paco

You saw Kino, you met Pete Trewavas, you won at an Ayreon game, you are a lucky young man, PH.  ;)

I didn't know that Kino played Sugar Mice at their gigs. Shouldn't say that but I'd love to have a good bootleg of it ...

PH

My listening profile is in alphabetical order too! :P

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:32:58You saw Kino, you met Pete Trewavas, you won at an Ayreon game, you are a lucky young man, PH.  ;)
Don't forget the Blackfield DVD.
Yes, I realise that I got a bit of luck here and there. Let's hope that Kino will bring out another CD and then we can consider us all very lucky!

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2008-04-18, 10:32:58I didn't know that Kino played Sugar Mice at their gigs. Shouldn't say that but I'd love to have a good bootleg of it ...
Yeah... me too... :-\

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-04-29, 23:40:15
My listening profile is in alphabetical order too! :P

Great !  Our names are in alphabetical order too - mine's first  *horns*

A little handout to you, Paxi  :-*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Still no Yes?
:o

Still no Pink Floyd?
:o

PH

Ok, I added Marillion's "Season's End", which is a brilliant album!! I already love it!
I think it's my favourite Marillion album at the moment.

My Marillion collection is growing...
Next on the Marillion list are "Holidays In Eden", "Brave" and "Afraid Of Sunlight".

And I also added both Liquid Tension Experiment albums. ;D

-Paco

Deenfan

You're on to a good thing. Seasons End is about as fantastic as an album could ever get.

If you're into lyrics, you have aquired one of the purest gems I've ever encountered. I always used to say it was an album full of "once-in-a-lifetime" lyrics. By that I mean lyrics so good any lyricist can only expect to write one such throughout his career. The single's lyrics are clever and better than most singles, but perhaps no sensation. The rest, however, is.

PH

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2008-07-12, 00:20:02You're on to a good thing. Seasons End is about as fantastic as an album could ever get.

Indeed. I don't care whatever people have to say about H era Marillion, I really like this album!
The Uninvited Guest sounds very Fish era though. H even sounds like Fish in some places here.

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2008-07-12, 00:20:02If you're into lyrics, you have aquired one of the purest gems I've ever encountered. I always used to say it was an album full of "once-in-a-lifetime" lyrics. By that I mean lyrics so good any lyricist can only expect to write one such throughout his career. The single's lyrics are clever and better than most singles, but perhaps no sensation. The rest, however, is.

I think Steve Hogarth is a tremendous lyricist. But can you give me some direct examples of what you mean?

-Paco

Deenfan

In fact, on Seasons End, the main body of the lyrics is written by John Helmer, a lyrical genius of rare qualities. He's got this ability to think up intriguing plots or twists, and the core idea of what the lyrics are about often - alone - blow my mind. I realize I am lucky to pick up on all this, and he might not talk to everyone else the same way. But then, that's how it is with all art, isn't it?

You mentioned "The uninvited guest". That one is full of clever and strong lines, in addition to being a great idea to begin with, and a bit mysterious to boot.

My favourite, and one of my favourite lyrics ever, is "Berlin". That is a haunting, terrible and beautiful story, and as well written as can be. And the setup... the roundabout way in which it is told... I don't know... It just... well... blows my mind.

Ah, and of course, the opening track. Let me get one thing clear immediately: I don't know what that is about, and I don't want to know. It's just so wonderful and mysterious and a pleasure to read and listen to. I don't always have to know what lyrics are about. When I feel, like in this case, caressed by the words on multiple levels and strings inside, and the obscurity of the sensation adds to the experience, stripping it naked might do more harm than good.

Just flow with the words, and make up your own pictures as you go. Wonder about what's not clear, enjoy the realization when it becomes clear... I hope you'll pick up on some of this, and maybe some bits I didn't connect with. The world of lyrics is an underrated and underestimated place. The whole point to the music lies there. Without having that story to tell, the music wouldn't make sense, let alone the singer.... It'd all have to be rearranged into instrumental pieces. And still, they'd need some kind of image or vision to play out, or it'd be just playing for the sake of moving fingers.

So there... 8)

;)

PH

I've ripped all my albums to my pc and after a little calculation I came to know that:

I have music with a total of 5 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 52 seconds playtime.

:P

And in 128 kbps that's 7,66 GB.
Exactly enough to put it all on my MPIO MP3 player which can hold 8 GB (7,74 GB to be precise).

Isn't that great? ;D

-Paco

Deenfan

No. It's horrid. 128kbps mp3 is horrid.

;D

PH

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2008-09-08, 16:46:29No. It's horrid. 128kbps mp3 is horrid.

;D

It is indeed! ;D

But it's just for backup and listening with my MP3 player. That way I can get everything on it. When I'm at home, I will probably just put the real deal in.

I'm not really that much of an audiophile. ;)

Deenfan

It's ok if the speakers stay small enough to fit in your ears.

PH

On order now: Threshold's Hypothetical and Replica.

I really like "Light And Space", so I can eat my heart out with two versions then.

Steve Jones

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2008-09-26, 13:25:23
On order now: Threshold's Hypothetical and Replica.

I'd never heard of 'Replica' - had to google it!  :-[
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

PH

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-09-26, 14:05:54
I'd never heard of 'Replica' - had to google it!  :-[

It's a fanclub release. But you can actually buy it, it's not limited to the fanclub...
Bit strange actually... :-\

Anyway, I got the following today:

Threshold - Hypothetical (Special Edition)
Threshold - Replica

And a single: Ty Tabor's "I Do".
Along with a T-shirt from Spock's Beard! ;D
There were only a few left, so I immediately ordered one.
It's absolutely beautiful. 8)

-Paco

PH

It Bites - The Tall Ships
&
Neal Morse - Lifeline

added!

;D

-Paco

PH

Well, I'm one of you now: 'Contagion' is added to my list.
Aswell as both EPs 'Contagious' and 'Contagium'.

And the gorgeous 'Happiness Is The Road'. Man, that album is sooooo sexy. Never thought I would use that word in this context. But it looks like it's the only word that fits, 'cause it's absolutely beautiful.
And also 'Marbles' is added.

My CD list is quite interesting if I say so myself.

Still can't wait for Frost*, but the aforementioned albums keep me busy for a while.

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-11-06, 19:42:38
Well, I'm one of you now: 'Contagion' is added to my list.
Aswell as both EPs 'Contagious' and 'Contagium'.

I didnt quite get it, Paxi:  Did you say that you'd gotten Contagion, Contagious and Contagium ?

;D

And the gorgeous 'Happiness Is The Road'. Man, that album is sooooo sexy. Never thought I would use that word in this context. But it looks like it's the only word that fits, 'cause it's absolutely beautiful.

Was there somethin about that you had a "girlfriend" some time ago  ???

And also 'Marbles' is added.

Yaknow, Paxi, if you had used the word here, it would have made some sense.

Still can't wait for Frost ...

Was that her name ?

... but the aforementioned bums keep me busy for a while.

I'm doing my best, Paxi  :D ;D ::)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-11-06, 23:47:36
I didnt quite get it, Paxi:  Did you say that you'd gotten Contagion, Contagious and Contagium ?

;D

That's what it says on the cover. ;D

Was there somethin about that you had a "girlfriend" some time ago  ???

Yes... for more than three years... Still not very happy about how it ended actually...

Yaknow, Paxi, if you had used the word here, it would have made some sense.

Marbles is very good too, but the packaging is less exciting. The music is VERY good though!

Was that her name ?

Err... no...

I'm doing my best, Paxi  :D ;D ::)

As long as you keep your bum out of it, Niksy.

h9

What about Pendragon 'Pure' and Caamora 'She' ?  8)

PH

Quote from: h9 on Sun, 2008-11-16, 10:21:39
What about Pendragon 'Pure' and Caamora 'She' ?  8)

Well, you can't have them all. :D

Iggy

And still no Yes   :(

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

I say "ahem", Mad  ::)

But do Yes know ?  :D

Reminds me of the following great joke, which is supposed to be authentic:  A few decades ago, the Oxford philosopher JL Austin was giving an address to a large audience of his fellow philosophers in New York. In the course of this address, which was about the philosophy of language, Austin raised the perennially interesting issue of the double negative. "In some languages," he observed in his clipped Oxbridge diction, "a double negative yields an affirmative. In other languages, a double negative yields a more emphatic negative. Yet, curiously enough, I know of no language, either natural or artificial, in which a double affirmative yields a negative." Suddenly, from the back of the hall, in a round Brooklyn accent, came the comment: "Yeah, yeah."  - Jim Holt: "Stop Me If You've Heard This: A History and Philosophy of Jokes"

Now that you'v strained yourself intellectually, here are three jokes of a quite different "nature" (more "roomy"), from the same book:

A woman flies into Boston, eager to enjoy a plate of the fish for which that city is famous. "Where can I get scrod?" she asks the driver as she gets into the cab. "Gee," he replies, "I've never heard it put in the pluperfect subjective before."

And the one about the successful diet Bill Clinton went on: "He's lost so much weight, now he can see his intern."

Angry guy walks into a bar, orders a drink, says to the bartender, "All agents are assholes." Guy sitting at the end of the bar says, "Just a minute, I resent that."'Why? You an agent?" "No. I'm an asshole."

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can