News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

PH's CD list

Started by PH, Tue, 2005-12-20, 07:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

PH, just noticed that you're missing Duke in your list of Genesis CD's. That's my fave Genesis. Highly recom, of course.

Also saw you got Systematic Chaos. What do you think of it? Great stuff, huh?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2007-06-30, 18:05:09PH, just noticed that you're missing Duke in your list of Genesis CD's. That's my fave Genesis. Highly recom, of course.
I know Duke very well! ;)
I like that album very much indeed. In fact I love ALL Genesis albums. The problem is that I won't buy them 'till the remastered CDs (with the extras) come out. But I like the MP3s on my harddisk! :P ;D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2007-06-30, 18:05:09Also saw you got Systematic Chaos. What do you think of it? Great stuff, huh?
Yeah, it's good. But I think I like Octavarium and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence better.
This Systematic Chaos is somewhat like Train Of Thought... It's good, but a bit too dark and although it is there: not to much symphonic influence for my liking.

All in all: There's too much metal on it! ;D

But I think overall it's a very good CD and a worthy addition to my collection, absolutely! *horns*

Added to my list is Transatlantic's Live In Europe DVD.

PH

Remember this?

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-06-19, 13:50:35Sylvan? Yeah... I don't know, I listened to some of it, and it certainly isn't bad. But still I just know that if I'd buy an album of Sylvan it would gather dust in my collection 'cause there's so much better things out there...

And this?

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-07-27, 14:05:14Don't know about Sylvan... I'll have to listen to it again I guess...

Well, what about this:

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2007-08-25, 19:38:20Today I bought my first Sylvan cd:
Presets

I like it very much!

I'm going to add this to my listening profile right away! *horns*

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2007-08-25, 19:43:47

I'm going to add this to my listening profile right away! *horns*

Sure you will.  8)  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

I added:

- Spock's Beard - V
Unfortunately no special edition... but on the website it says nothing about a special edition. In fact the album in itself is special enough. Amazing music. I'm very happy to add it to my ever growing collection. It costed me 12,99 euro.

- Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear
This is the "24 Bit Digital Remaster Plus Bonus Disc" (Market Square Heroes and Grendel included!). The booklet is fine too. Lots of texts that I will read on a dark winter night with a mug of warm chocolate. I know the music itself already (of course, I would say......... some wouldn't approve, but.........), but that was kind of low quality. Too bad we don't get to hear Mick's side of the story in the booklet... Pete gets to say something, Mark too. And of course Uncle Fish talks. But Mick? No way... (8,99 euro)

- Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte
I'm now listening to this. And I really like it. Now that I have it on CD, I'm gonna play it in the car with my parents in it. ;D My dad wouldn't mind that much I think. (7,99)

In total this costed me 29,95 euro!
;D

-Paco

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-09-25, 20:14:21
I added:

- Spock's Beard - V
Unfortunately no special edition... but on the website it says nothing about a special edition. In fact the album in itself is special enough. Amazing music. I'm very happy to add it to my ever growing collection. It costed me 12,99 euro.

Since i happen to have the special edition i can tell you how special the special edition is.  ;)

-The artwork is better/prettier.
-There's a Documentary on it which can only been seen in your computer.
-There's an interview with the band members in it with some very nice background info.
-There's a short biography of each band member. You know, which artist influenced them, what kind of music they like.

Overall, a nice special edition but not one that shakes the earth.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2007-09-29, 16:36:46
Since i happen to have the special edition i can tell you how special the special edition is.  ;)

-The artwork is better/prettier.
-There's a Documentary on it which can only been seen in your computer.
-There's an interview with the band members in it with some very nice background info.
-There's a short biography of each band member. You know, which artist influenced them, what kind of music they like.

Overall, a nice special edition but not one that shakes the earth.  ;)

Well, in that case, it's kind of OK.
I think I need to get off with the idea that "special edition" is the best.

Anyway, today I bought some cds again.

- Hidria Spacefolk - Symetria
- The Tangent - A Place In The Queue (special edition ;))
- Sylvan - Posthumous Silence

-Paco

PH

Added Falling Into Infinity (Dream Theater) to the list.
Also italicized the albums that aren't studio albums. (like DVDs, Live albums and singles/EPs)

-Paco

PH

Universal Migrator added! 8)
Now I still need Actual Fantasy and Star One's Space Metal and Ambeon's Fate Of A Dreamer. (And of course 01011001!)
And I also want Steve Thorne's CD's and perhaps a few Magenta CD's and Satellite of course.
Too many wishes and not enough money. ;D

-Paco

Appelmoes??

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-12-06, 16:32:21
Universal Migrator added! 8)
Now I still need Actual Fantasy
Imo the least best Ayreon album. Arjen never wanted it to an Ayreon album, but the record company made him use the same name, because they wanted it to sell aswell as The Final Experiment.

QuoteStar One's Space Metal and Ambeon's Fate Of A Dreamer.
Ooh, two opposites :) I would get those two before you get Actual Fantasy. Personally I don't really like Ambeon, but that's just because of the style of singing Astrid uses. Musically i's as solid as any other Arjen-album.
[/quote]
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2007-12-06, 18:14:03Imo the least best Ayreon album. Arjen never wanted it to an Ayreon album, but the record company made him use the same name, because they wanted it to sell aswell as The Final Experiment.
Yeah, it also doesn't take part of the Ayreon story. A very interesting story by the way.

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2007-12-06, 18:14:03Ooh, two opposites :) I would get those two before you get Actual Fantasy. Personally I don't really like Ambeon, but that's just because of the style of singing Astrid uses. Musically i's as solid as any other Arjen-album.

Yeah I see what you mean. Astrid has a very nice voice, but the way she "breaths" the lyrics... if you know what I mean...

-Paco

Appelmoes??

No, it's not that. It's the "R&B" kind of thingy, where she "heeheeeeheeheeeheeeeeee" sort of sings. If that makes sence... ???
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

That's what I meant actually. You put it clearly better than I! :D

-Paco

Gwaihir

Hi there !

I'm from Norway and I see that you've listed Magic Pie as from Sweeden, but they're from Norway.
Otherwise I have much the same cd's that you have, but I can recomend :

Castanarc - All albums but start with "Journey to the east"
IQ - Subterranea,  The wake
Flower Kings - Retropolis, Welcome to the world of adventures
Jadis - More than meets the eye
Threshold - Hypothetical
Big Big Train - Bard

best regards gwaihir

PH

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30I'm from Norway and I see that you've listed Magic Pie as from Sweeden, but they're from Norway.

Bwah! I see you're right! How stupid of me! Of course they're from Norway. It's just that there's so much coming from Sweden...

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30Otherwise I have much the same cd's that you have, but I can recomend :

Castanarc - All albums but start with "Journey to the east"
Never heard of them! :) What are they like?

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30IQ - Subterranea,  The wake
Yeah, I guess I need them eh? It's Progressive Monuments.

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30Flower Kings - Retropolis, Welcome to the world of adventures
I actually don't really like The Flower Kings that much... Paradox Hotel is one of the purchases I most regret... But I've heard Roine's solo album (The Flower King) and that's actually quite good! So if Retropolis and Welcome To The World Of Adventures sound more like The Flower King, I might check them out!

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30Jadis - More than meets the eye
I think so yes... Never had the time to check them out. It's one of the smaller great bands if you wish. :D

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30Threshold - Hypothetical
Definately! But after I got my hands on Subsurface! ;)

Quote from: Gwaihir on Sun, 2008-01-06, 06:16:30Big Big Train - Bard
So how's that new album then? The 2007 album I mean. Of course I will give them a try. Heard so much good things about them recently.

Thanks for the recommendations Gwaihir! I appreciate it!
It would be cool if you could give a bit in depth information about the recommended albums. Why do you recommend them?

Furthermore I wish you a warm welcome and I hope you'll stay with us here in the room. Most of us are a nice bunch of people. Some are... a bit... strange... But nice too. ;)

Bye

-Paco

PH

Blackfield - NYC: Blackfield Live In New York City DVD added!

I won this in a competition on DPRP.net ;D

I also edited the first page. Now a shopping list is added. The list is somewhat short at the moment, because I cannot remember all that I want to buy...
01011001, Star One and Subsurface are "on order", which means I will get them at the end of January! ;D

Bye
-Paco

PH

Yippee!!

Ritual - The Hemulic Voluntary Band
Solas - Another Day
Solas - Waiting For An Echo

They arrived today!
Gonna play "Another Day" right now! ;)

-Paco

PH

I just heard about the competition between Nicky and myself, so I better get this one going.

I did an edit on the first page of my Listening Profile.
You can see I made a shopping list.
1st grade, 2nd grade and 3rd grade.
1st grade is the most high on my shopping list and 3rd is (obviously) the lowest on my shopping list.
Of course there may be some shifting between the three grades.

Anyway, I put Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways" on my shopping list, 1st grade. Because it's so awesome! 8)
And some others, but you have to look at it yourself. Perhaps you can give me recommendations?

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-02-28, 12:36:30
Perhaps you can give me recommendations?

OK, I'l give you a hand here then, Paco  ;D

Since you're so Nordic oriented, how about Winterstrain, Circus Maximus, Beardfish, Seventh Wonder, and Katatonia ?

And I still think that Eleven and Chris Cornell would fall in your taste.

And Ten, of course ...... but I guess there's something seriously wrong with them, which I havent yet perceived, so I continue to live with the illusion that they're one of the greatest bands around ...... ::)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Don't listen to him. He's delirious.

Nicky007

Yeah, I know that Winterstrain are f*d up

but in a great way  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Winterstrain, yeah...
I still need to check that one out.

Today I bought:
- Ayreon - Actual Fantasy (Revisited)
- Amaran's Plight - Voice In The Light

Sooo good! ;D

-Paco

PH

Yes! My Fish era Marillion is complete! ;D

Marillion's 1987 - Clutching At Straws (2 CD Version) is added to the list! You can congratulate me now.

I see that the second disc is filled to the brim with previously unreleased material. Is it good?
Wow, I'm excited! I'm gonna play this one soon! 8)

But not now, because I also bought:

The Tangent's 2008 - Not As Good As The Book (Special Edition).
In the bus on the way home I read a part from the novel and it was so funny. I'm sure some fellow-travellers have been looking at me like "Why is he smiling? What's so funny? What is he reading?".
I'll quote a bit, but before that, let me tell you that the main protagonist is Dave. He is going to his favourite record shop "Virgin Records":

His wife would never know. As far as she was concerned, he was at work and that was it. The trouble was that a friend of the family had started to work recently at the local Border's bookshop where he had normally bought (and subsequently sneaked into his collection) a CD.... ('Oh - I've had that for years,') and he didn't want reports of his illegal buying activities causing embarrassing pauses at any forthcoming soirees or nights at the pub.

So brilliant! ;D
And it only gets better and better! ;D
Sometimes very recognizable, things like repairing a CD shelf etc. etc. This man lives for his music collection it seems. And that he only listens to his favourite music in the car or on his computer, while downstairs he has the best of the best HIFI system one can dream of. But he's got a family and they don't like his music.
Hahaha! This book is written for a prog fan! There are so many things that you will remind you of your own self! :D
And I'm only just in the second chapter!!

Now to complete my collection, I only need "The Music That Died Alone".

-Paco

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-04-17, 20:33:30
Yes! My Fish era Marillion is complete! ;D

Marillion's 1987 - Clutching At Straws (2 CD Version) is added to the list! You can congratulate me now.

I see that the second disc is filled to the brim with previously unreleased material. Is it good?
Wow, I'm excited! I'm gonna play this one soon! 8)

I only have the original 1-CD version and it's, what can I say, so moving ...

"Blame it on me, you can blame it on me ..." Those words strike me so hard at times  :'(

PH

Yeah, Sugar Mice.
I heard the song first at the Kino gig on 10th december 2005.
Everybody was singing along and it was obvious that it was a song that's close to many people's hearts. At that moment I didn't know about it though.

-Paco