News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

A decade later................

Started by Constable Hogweed, Tue, 2005-03-22, 02:44:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Constable Hogweed

..............How do fellow forum members feel about "Songs from the lions cage" for me it still stands up as a great prog album. It certainly wasn't groundbreaking as for new proggy ideas, but taking it for what it is, the musicianship all round is brilliant, and even more importantly the songs are very strong. I still rate "Solomon" as one of the greatest prog epics, and the whole sound and feel of the album is as fresh and vibrant in 2005 as it was in 1995

Your thoughts?

Appelmoes??

You actually described my thoughts very well :) SftLC was the 3th Arena alnum I had bought. First Contagion and then BaB (to check out if they were any good live and here some sobngs from different albums) IMHO it's the 2nd best album of Arena (I have stated somewhere else that I think PG is 2nd best, but I have changed my opinion :))
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

Beyond doubt, it's still one of their best albums ever.  :)

Moonloop

Yeah, agreed. To be honest, I still play the first two more than the others, although "Pepper's Ghost" has prompted me to revisit "Contagion" etc...

;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Mark Jan

For me also one of their best albums. The Visitor is their best, but I think Songs will be second. Especially the last 20 minutes with the beautiful Crying for help IV and the impressive and great Solomon, after The Hanging tree Arena's second best song.

thespy

the visitor is my favorite with songs from the lions cage 2nd. i'm very disappointed with the new direction the band is taking. i do not like the new pepper's ghost nor did i like immortal? i am not swayed by good reviews and such but only by what moves me. btw, after immortal?, contagion sounded like a masterpiece...
i do think solomon is arena's best song, especially the ending...

Simtere

Well, to liven things up a little here (and with the greatest respect for the views of others) I have to say that contrary to popular opinion I rarely if ever listen to any Arena prior to The Visitor as to me it sounds very dated and not particularly original.  'Songs' is an album I have never particularly enjoyed and only hold on to because I like to have the complete collection.  Also unlike the previous poster, I much prefer the way direction the band are now moving in.  I like the harder edge that began with Immortal, continued with Contagion and further evolved with Pepper's Ghost.  Surely the whole point about being progressive is to move on, to change and develop musical styles not to stay in a backwater.  This holds true of all bands, not just Arena. 

Please don't slam me for this view -- it's just an opinion and I am as enttled to hold it as the next person is allowed to have their opinion  :)

Moonloop

Quote from: Simtere on Tue, 2005-03-29, 00:33:13

Please don't slam me for this view -- it's just an opinion and I am as enttled to hold it as the next person is allowed to have their opinion  :)

Wouldn't dream of it - the vastly differing opinions on (basically) the same subject are what makes forums interesting  ;)

Peter

Quote from: Simtere on Tue, 2005-03-29, 00:33:13
Well, to liven things up a little here (and with the greatest respect for the views of others) I have to say that contrary to popular opinion I rarely if ever listen to any Arena prior to The Visitor as to me it sounds very dated and not particularly original.  'Songs' is an album I have never particularly enjoyed and only hold on to because I like to have the complete collection.  Also unlike the previous poster, I much prefer the way direction the band are now moving in.  I like the harder edge that began with Immortal, continued with Contagion and further evolved with Pepper's Ghost.  Surely the whole point about being progressive is to move on, to change and develop musical styles not to stay in a backwater.  This holds true of all bands, not just Arena.

100% Ack.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Peter

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-03-29, 09:28:02
Wouldn't dream of it - the vastly differing opinions on (basically) the same subject are what makes forums interesting  ;)

again, 100% Ack!  ;)

and no, I'm not simply trying to raise my post count artificially....  :P

gelert

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-03-29, 09:58:11
and no, I'm not simply trying to raise my post count artificially....  :P

50% Ack...!

;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

JJ II

Funnily enough, I never tend to listen to SFTLC anymore, nor to Pride... I don't know why, maybe it's because I know the songs by heart now or that I find the later work more interesting, or that the live-shows and live-albums are much more intense.
Maybe I should go back to the old CD-rack and dust them off. I recently listened to Fools Gold, which was one of my fav's back then, but I found it not half as exiting now. Apparently my taste has changed or Arena's level has risen....

Peter

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2005-05-09, 16:29:14
Funnily enough, I never tend to listen to SFTLC anymore, nor to Pride... I don't know why, maybe it's because I know the songs by heart now or that I find the later work more interesting, or that the live-shows and live-albums are much more intense.
Maybe I should go back to the old CD-rack and dust them off. I recently listened to Fools Gold, which was one of my fav's back then, but I found it not half as exiting now. Apparently my taste has changed or Arena's level has risen....

Same here... I must confess, I don't even own the older albums.... *duck*

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-05-09, 17:20:49
:o I'm stunned Peter!

should I feel bad now?
well, I'm a die-hard fan, nevertheless...

Moonloop

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2005-05-09, 18:21:45
well, I'm a die-hard fan, nevertheless...

Part-timer, more like  ;)

You can still buy them you know, go on, redeem yourself in the eyes of your fellow fans and forum buddies. You can then start a thread on how you were shamed into completing your collection of studio albums  ;D

No, no....... don't reply..........order them NOW  >:(

Deenfan

I was never highly impressed by "Songs from the lion's cage". I started off with "Pride" when that was just released, and loved it. Somewhere between then and the release of "Immortal", I bought the debut, and I have never regretted buying it. There are great moments on there. And nothing is poor by any stretch of the notion. Yet, I established that for me every album was better than the one before, something that held true until PG came along. I'm not decided yet, but like I've said elsewhere, it takes some damned effort to top Contagion in this house.

On my computer, I've got all my favourite songs as mp3's that I play through MusicMatch Jukebox. And I'm looking at it right now, and I've only ripped Cfh II & IV and Jericho from the debut. I really never took off on Solomon. It's good, but not in the top three off that album. Of course, I put on the actual album now and again, and it doesn't hurt. The only thing that hurts is the acapella thing on Pride.

Since I feel more nostalgia about "The visitor" than the debut, it's not a great big tear jerker to pull it up today.

Herben

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2005-07-02, 01:20:43
The only thing that hurts is the acapella thing on Pride.
Why would that hurt You, there's also a version with music on the "The Cry" album or a live version on the version on the "breakfast in Biarritz" version (my favourite version). But the acapella has something special with the echo in it, gives it something special. It's just like the song" Vrouw Haverkamp" by Normaal, You don't need music in that song, it speaks for itselves.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

erik

Songs... still holds a very special place for me, the album it all started with... I remember how thrilled I was when I just got it. Still love the massive sound, the killer intro of Out Of The Wilderness, the many anthemic, classic Arena moments it contains...

At the same time, I hardly ever put it on! Suppose you most often grab the most recent albums, so the new ones are always crowding out the previous efforts, especially when the band keeps raising the bar.

Well, let's use this opportunity to try to rank the albums, suppose my list would be as follows:

1. Contagion (beyond any doubt)
2. The Visitor (beyond any doubt)
3. Songs From The Lions Cage (now it's getting complicated)
4. Immortal? / Pepper's Ghost (it's a tie)
5. Pride (here I'm sure again)

Bit fuzzy in spots 3-4..
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

keyboardistmatt

Arena have come a long way since "Songs From The Lions Cage".  I generally like the newer stuff more...
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Guillermo

Quote from: Mark Jan on Tue, 2005-03-22, 19:06:01
For me also one of their best albums. The Visitor is their best, but I think Songs will be second.

I agree
Permite que tu conciencia decida!

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2005-08-11, 16:34:55
Arena have come a long way since "Songs From The Lions Cage".  I generally like the newer stuff more...
I agree also that I like the newer stuff a bit more but I still listen to the older albums.  There are still some great songs on them also!!! :) :) :)
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour