News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Epic Tour

Started by JJ II, Tue, 2005-10-11, 13:21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you visit the next Arena-tour, if it would be an Epic-Tour (consisting of merely long songs).

yes, please
I would go, but rather have short songs
no, I'm not interested in that

JJ II

On another thread, I raised the question: should Arena, after the current tour, do something very different: drop the usual classics and make a setlist, merely existing of long tracks (Moviedrome, Sirens, etc.) and tour in under the banner of "The Epic Tour"?

For previous discussions, also have a look at:
http://shattered-room.net/index.php?topic=497.0

sotonrobin

Would this mean Epic length shows to play play the Epic Tracks?

Please please Please
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

keyboardistmatt

Yep. No doubt about it! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Spad

YES, YES, YES.... FOREVER YES!!!!!

please, please, please......
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Proglady

Certainly a yes from me.

Please  *ola*

Wilford Jr.

I would certainly go if Arena would come to the USA! ;D
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

johninblack

I'd vote but you don't have my choice there - I'd go, but I want long and short songs.
For me one (of the many) things that I really like about Arena is thier abillity to make some of the shorter songs sound epic.

Moonloop

Personally, I think you need a good mix of short & epics in a set - which of course is only my opinion  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Spad

Quote from: johninblack on Wed, 2005-10-12, 02:51:46
to make some of the shorter songs sound epic.

... agreed...

though an only long songs setlist remains my own dream....  :D
... it's not my fault... long songs are my illness..... and this happens for all the prog music....

Appelmoes??

I would go, but I rather see shorter songs.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

sotonrobin

Quote from: Spad on Wed, 2005-10-12, 09:57:41
... it's not my fault... long songs are my illness..... and this happens for all the prog music....

I suffer from the Same Illness, and the only known cure is Epic songs.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: sotonrobin on Wed, 2005-10-12, 13:54:33

I suffer from the Same Illness, and the only known cure is Epic songs.

I also have that illness.  While I like some of the shorter songs, I live for the EPICS!!! :)
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Spad

Hi guys! sotonrobin & Wilford Jr..... nice to know I'm not alone!!!!  :D

.... only you can understand..... the last month I ordered on-line a CD of a norvegian progressive metal band just because Wikipedia said they composed an epic even longer of Garden Of Dreams (The Flower Kings) which I already had........

Do you know? They are Green Carnation and the labum is called "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" and it contains only ONE track 60:06 long!!!!!!! YES, YES, YES..... these are our medicines.....  ;D  ;D

sotonrobin

Just waiting for the new Kate Bush album, from what I have heard it supposedly contains an epic track (approx 30 mins)

Thanks Spad for the "Green Carnation" recommendation, I have never heard of them, so i'm off to find out more
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Spad

Quote from: sotonrobin on Thu, 2005-10-13, 14:39:04

Thanks Spad for the "Green Carnation" recommendation, I have never heard of them, so i'm off to find out more

.... it's a very dark album (norvegian band... typical atmosphere!!!  ;) ) and it needs more than one listen to be appreciated (or not... ). Especailly the first half an hour of the song has very interesting melodies and in general a warm and poetical atmosphere..... Good listen!!  ;D

Oh... just another thing: since few weeks, it's no more the longest epic ever written.... there's the new Tomas Bodin's album (The Flower Kings' keyb. man) which consists of an epic 63 minutes long divided into three tracks (I A M). Check it out..... it's very very very good stuff!!!!!  ;D  ;D (and above all very very very long!!!!  ;D )

sotonrobin

Thanks at again

The next problem, with all the recomendations recently and all the new material soon to be released
is how in the hell am I going to pay for them. Second Job = More Money = less time if for listening.

Any know 6 numbers between 1 and 49 ;D
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

erik

This thread's running off topic ::), refer to thread favourite piece of big music http://shattered-room.net/index.php?topic=480.msg6552#msg6552
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: Spad on Thu, 2005-10-13, 13:56:55
Hi guys! sotonrobin & Wilford Jr..... nice to know I'm not alone!!!!  :D

.... only you can understand..... the last month I ordered on-line a CD of a norvegian progressive metal band just because Wikipedia said they composed an epic even longer of Garden Of Dreams (The Flower Kings) which I already had........

Do you know? They are Green Carnation and the labum is called "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" and it contains only ONE track 60:06 long!!!!!!! YES, YES, YES..... these are our medicines.....  ;D  ;D

I know about those albums that contain only one track.  I grew up on songs like Tull's Thick As a Brick and A Passion Play.  Great stuff!
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Spad

Quote from: Wilford Jr. on Fri, 2005-10-14, 23:15:57
I know about those albums that contain only one track.  I grew up on songs like Tull's Thick As a Brick and A Passion Play.  Great stuff!

.... yeah.... unforgettable Tull.... really epics teachers!!

Proglady

Quote from: Spad on Thu, 2005-10-13, 16:49:09
.... it's a very dark album (norvegian band... typical atmosphere!!!  ;) ) and it needs more than one listen to be appreciated (or not... ). Especailly the first half an hour of the song has very interesting melodies and in general a warm and poetical atmosphere..... Good listen!!  ;D

Oh... just another thing: since few weeks, it's no more the longest epic ever written.... there's the new Tomas Bodin's album (The Flower Kings' keyb. man) which consists of an epic 63 minutes long divided into three tracks (I A M). Check it out..... it's very very very good stuff!!!!!  ;D  ;D (and above all very very very long!!!!  ;D )

About Green Carnation's album, I got it and I like it.  8)

Appelmoes??

I thought this was about Arena ???
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Proglady

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sat, 2005-10-15, 00:41:15
I thought this was about Arena ???

You are right Applemoes??, so back to the Topic  ;)

Highfire

Well, back into the topic ... YES PLEASE, an "epical epic gig"!!!

I've always loved epics more than conventional songs in any band, and it's more clear in Arena, their epics are SO SO SO GREAT!

And sorry, I'm breaking the topic again  ;D but ... anyone remembers Tales From Topographic Oceans (Yes)? Four vinyl sides, four songs. And Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade Of Gray?
We have been chosen...

keyboardistmatt

*Ahemm!*

TTTTT   OOO    PPP   IIIIIIIII    CCC
    T     O      O  P    P     I      C     
    T     O      O  PPP       I      C
   T     O      O  P           I      C     
    T       OOO    P       IIIIIIIII    CCC
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

johninblack

I have voted, and of corse I would go to an epic only gig why not? However I would personally prefer a few shorter songs in the set.
I just can't help but feel that an epic only set might just be too intense, You have to realise that Arena's epics (for me at least) are far more epic than allmost anyone elses.....still epics only....could be good!