News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura

Started by The Butterfly Man, Fri, 2007-03-02, 16:08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

Okay you can say a lot about Neal Morse's music, so please don't start complaining about how Neal is 'repeating himself' or how you 'can't stand his christian lyrics'....

Actually I created this thread to say only one simple thing: Yesterday I bought Neal's new album Sola Scriptura, and I think it rocks big time!

Cheers, Tom

P.s: Have a nice weekend everyone! :)
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Appelmoes??

Whooooo! I'm going to buy asap!

I'm now going to the store! brb! *horns*
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2007-03-02, 16:08:05
Okay you can say a lot about Neal Morse's music, so please don't start complaining about how Neal is 'repeating himself' or how you 'can't stand his christian lyrics'....

Actually I created this thread to say only one simple thing: Yesterday I bought Neal's new album Sola Scriptura, and I think it rocks big time!

Cheers, Tom

P.s: Have a nice weekend everyone! :)

I'm with you Tom.  :D I think it's a marvellous album too. Especially The Door is one of my favourites. Paul Gilbert on Guitars was a good choice too. The Conflict is a heck of a rock/metal thingy, at least the beginning is. Actually i consider this album a Return-To-The-Beard thingy. Well, a lite return then.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

It does rock indeed, listening to the opening track *horns*

My drawings on MySpace

Teunis

I am with you all, it's a great album  *horns* 8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Best album of 2007 so far!!! Really!

I think Neal has surpassed himself this time! (Again!)
I absolutely love The Door and The Conflict!
The Conflict has the stunning fast music right after "I can't be party to the lie... lie, lie... lie lie... lie, lie" I hope you know what I mean, 'cause that part is some of the best moments and after listening to that part I'm all sweating and tears in my eyes because of the intensity.

Yup this is absolutely great!
Love it!

Appelmoes??

Do you guys also think this album sounds a lot like Spock's Beard first album "The Light"? I mean, it even has a spanish guitar-bit in there. Not that that is a bad thing ;D

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2007-03-05, 21:16:33
Do you guys also think this album sounds a lot like Spock's Beard first album "The Light"? I mean, it even has a spanish guitar-bit in there. Not that that is a bad thing ;D

That spanish guitars thingy is the reason why i consider it back to the beard-roots. I don't think the album sounds like The Light. There are too many differences for that comparison. Personally i think the sound, not the songs but the sound looks like Snow for that matter.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

At least we agree it sounds more like Spock's Beard than his former solo albums ;)

My drawings on MySpace

johninblack

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2007-03-05, 22:10:58
At least we agree it sounds more like Spock's Beard than his former solo albums ;)

Very much so. The music is some of the best you will hear anywhre, sounds to me to be very much like 'V' and 'Snow'
Have to say I dislike the lyrics, far too christian for my tastes. That comment was absolutly not meant to cause offence.

Strange thing is years ago (1978ish) when I got very much into Punk Rock I also found loads of lyrics I hated (all that crap about anarchy and violence) so for many years I tended to listen to music not paying too much attention to the words just the melody (if any) of the vocals. This is the first album in a long while on first listen i've noticed the words of the song. Usualy with me listening to the words comes later.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: johninblack on Tue, 2007-03-06, 10:51:28

Very much so. The music is some of the best you will hear anywhre, sounds to me to be very much like 'V' and 'Snow'
Have to say I dislike the lyrics, far too christian for my tastes. That comment was absolutly not meant to cause offence.
No offence taken ;) I can really understand that people don't like a message in music they don't support :)

My drawings on MySpace

kmorse

It's not available in the states yet, unless one pre-ordered it, but I've heard nothing but good things about the music. Regarding Neal's "message," there is a mini-controversy going on in the right circles over some statements he's made regarding his beliefs -- specifically some of his doctrine. To someone outside Christianity, it probably looks like a tempest in a teapot, but he's raised some eyebrows. Nonetheless, I look forward to hearing his new music.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

JJ II

Quotemini-controversy going on in the right circles over some statements he's made regarding his beliefs

What statement and what controversy...

Though I do consider myself a christian, I myself still have to get used to the explicit nature of his religiosity...

"although a flower can't pray nor preach, it's still a part of God's creation, and by that a silent proof of divinity" ;)

PH

QuoteWhat statement and what controversy...

Probably about the whole Catholic Church being not good.
'bout the Pope and such... The decadency, the corrupt church. The "doing good works" thing instead of the "live by faith" and "only the Bible" thing, hence "Sola Scriptura".
A lot of Roman Catholic people are angry with Neal Morse now, because in some way, Neal says they don't read their Bible right. (Or didn't at the time of Luther, at least).

And of course the line that makes a lot of not-christian people raise their eyebrow (or frown them) is "In the Name of God you must die!" Just like the one on "?" being "Let the unclean ones be washed in the fire!", people were angry about that too.

But "In the Name of God you must die!" is a line from the corrupt bishops and the Inquisition (the court of the church in that days). They used it whenever they wanted to kill a person who converted to "the lie" ("the truth" in Luther's eyes (and in my eyes, but who am I)). That's why John Calvin and Martin Luther (amongst others) were considered martyrs when they were burned to death or hung at a gallow in the end. So that particular line wasn't Neal Morse speaking, nor was it his statement. It was the statement of the Church at that time!
Well, and there was just one Church at that time: Roman Catholic. Because of Luther (in Germany) and Calvin (in France) the reformation took place, and now we have a lot of different churches. Some of them true and some of them false (as not letting the Bible speak, but man). So in the end Neal isn't "preaching" against one church in particular (there was just one church at that time), but he's "preaching" against ALL churches and ALL people by saying something like "Read your Bible!" He wants us to see for ourselves what the Bible has to say! Don't follow blindly what pastors, bishops, priests and all that kind of people(!!) say! Of course they have authority of some kind, but the Bible comes first! Compare what they have to say with what the Bible says!
That's what Neal says with his album, that's what Martin Luther said with his 95 theses, that's what the Bible (read: God) says.
And that's what I also say! Amen!

Hope I made that clear... :P

Well, and why shouldn't I talk about that line in "?" right away, eh? I'm already typing alot anyway...
The Bible tells about how God (in this story of resemblance being pictured as a blacksmith) forms the gold and silver that was in the wrong form. So, the "unclean ones" (the people who don't believe in God, or don't trust Him) will be made that they will (or have to) believe/trust Him.
I am told that EVERY person in this world will have at least ONE experience in life where they can say "Wow! This is wonderful/amazing/strange/brilliant, there must be something more!" Like when you look over the land when on top of a mountain or something... Just to name something... But it's up to you what you're gonna do with it.

Neal uses 4 Bible texts in 1 couplet here, so it's often very confusing... He does that a lot. When you look at the lyrics you may find it strange but when you look it all up in the Bible you find yourself saying "Ahh... he means this...".
That's what I liked about "?"; the references to the Bible. Too bad he didn't do that with Sola Scriptura (or his other Solo albums for that matter...)

I hope I don't talk any nonsense now... I'm just only mortal... ;) :D

There's probably a lot more to tell about it, but this will do for now (for me anyway). I don't have all knowledge of the world... LOL.
Sorry if my reply offends anyone, I'm just talking about one of my passions. Can't stop, really. ;D

kmorse

PH,

If you go to his website, there is a long thread on the discussion boards about his view on the nature of Christ. He seems to be a bit blurry on that subject. Now, I don't go to rock stars for my theology, but he's kind of put himself up there in the line of fire.

Doctrine: It's always a fine line to tread. And people get worked up about it.

Still, I'm interested in hearing his new CD.

Keith

PH

I know there's a lot of discussion on his forum, but the forum isn't as well organised as this one, so I don't see it right away... can you give me a link?

EDIT: To the actual thread that is... ::)

kmorse

this one is very long. on the topic of the nature of Christ. If you're going to read this whole one, best bring your lunch

http://p216.ezboard.com/fnealmorsefrm8.showMessage?topicID=781.topic

this is a newer thread about matters specific to the new cd.

http://p216.ezboard.com/fnealmorsefrm8.showMessage?topicID=911.topic

If you like discussing these issues, this is a place to go. I don't see things the way Neal does, but I admire his courage in discussing them with his fans. In a roundabout way, it's probably good marketing.

PH

Phew... :-\

By reading only Neal's texts I will be fine, I guess...

So Neal doesn't believe in God as trinity (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit)...
Hmmmm... he has some good arguments, but this is surely something I want to look further upon...

For now, I can say I disagree with Neal ;D, but man, he has come very far! How long's he been a Christian?? He knows so much!
Time for study then! 8)

kmorse

Neal says he's not a trinitarian and not a Sabellian (Oneness). The other historical option then is Arian (not to be confused with Aryan), which says Christ was not of the same divine nature as the Father. He's professed Christianity for going on 10 years now. Plenty of time to get these issues clear in *his* mind, even if you and I disagree with him.