News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

What are you reading at the moment?

Started by Xanxtuary, Sat, 2005-02-19, 17:43:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanxtuary

As I'm an avid reader and author, I wondered what other denizens of these hallowed fora have their noses into at the moment.  Well obviously not right now, since you're obviously browsing these fora and not reading a book, but you get my general idea.

Sci-fi and epic fantasy, sword and sorcery are my favourite genres, but I also enjoy psycho thrillers, legal thrillers and good old-fashioned whodunnits.  At times I read biographies and autobiographies of interesting personages.

I'm currently working my way through Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker. I've just started on Volume Two-Red Prophet.  OSC never fails to bring tears to my eyes.  I highly recommend his Ender series and his Shadow series, all excellent stuff, full of moral dilemmas, emotive and creative writing. 

If I ever write anything that moves the reader to tears, then I know that I will have succeeded as an author.  That is the mark of a truly awesome mind.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

creme anglais

I have just finished Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code........am now reading Dan Brown's Deception Point  .....I am only a small way through Deception Point.....and can't help getting weird sense of de ja vu.....just substitute politicians for the church as the "baddies" even the "heroes" are the same couple with different names!!!
The are some factual areas of both books..... but thrown together in a not very original way...... dissapointing because I raced through The Da Vinci code in 24hrs..... this is just too much the same book...... ::)

I read "the Emperess Orchid" whilst on hols recently and that was very good...... but for tears- there is a kids book (Author escapes me at the mo)Called Grandma's quilt...... that makes me cry EVERY TIME!!!!
Oh and Jaqueline Wilson's The illustrated Mum......tear jearker!!!! Kids books! I tell you they really make you blub!!!

(for the record I read these books with my kids.....I don't have a particularly low reading ability :P :D :D :D)

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sat, 2005-02-19, 19:32:14
Lord of the Rings (Again :-\ )
No need to be sorry:)

LotR is sure my favourite since 1986, when one of our teacher's read 'The Hobbit' with us (-> thank you!).
Last things I read:

• Philip Pullman's trilogy; someone recommended it to me; I find it only mediocre compared to LotR
  • Dan Brown - Meteor; US government-NASA-scientists thriller about a Meteor that isn't one.
  • Frank Schätzing - Der Schwarm; if it's been translated to your language, I can heavily recommend it; it's about an intelligence that lives under the sea that starts a battle against mankind

I also like P.H. Farmer, Asimov and Larry Niven a lot.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

I'm reading part two of the Ergoth trilogy (DragonLance), and the book is called "The wizard's fate". Written by Paul B. Thompson and Tonya C. Cook. A pair that have contributed to the DL series before, and always done it well. This time is no exception. Very promising!

creme anglais

Quote from: Peter
li]Dan Brown - Meteor; US government-NASA-scientists thriller about a Meteor that isn't one.
ha ha ha! Dan Brown...... Meteor, that must have been published under a different name in th uk... that is the book i am reading "deception Point"...... so it's not really a meteor then??? I was beginning to suspect as much!
Well must read on!
X

Peter

Ooops, didn't want to spoil it, mate....  :-\
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Currently working my way through Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series.  :)

...and "Noddy" to the 3 yr old  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

pijawkah

Appelmoes??

Now reading -> The Threshold 'Hypothetical' booklet :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace