News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

19-11-2011: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

Started by The Butterfly Man, Thu, 2011-02-03, 19:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

So, I just noticed that Arena will play at de Boerderij in The Netherlands on November 19. I hope the new album will be released by then! 8)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

wwetzels

Great news. I' ll be there again.
Always a pleasure to see them live.

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2011-02-03, 19:52:44
So, I just noticed that Arena will play at de Boerderij in The Netherlands on November 19. I hope the new album will be released by then! 8)

Tom

Again?

At the Boerderij? Again?  :o

Oh. ...GREAT!!!  *horns* ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2011-02-04, 01:16:17
At the Boerderij? Again?  :o

Oh. ...GREAT!!!  *horns* ;D

Indeed, pretty close to home! *horns*

Tom

maddox

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2011-02-04, 01:16:17
Boerderij

Why can't marshies spell  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

wwetzels

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2011-02-04, 14:21:15
For you; yeah!

For me; not!

;)
For me either, but nevertheless I' ll be there again

maddox

maddox

Quote from: wwetzels on Fri, 2011-02-11, 00:41:55
For me either, but nevertheless I' ll be there again

Great!

See you there!  *horns*

Alle Jansen

debsss

Well , my friends, 3 weeks from now!!!! Getting excited yet??? Well, I'm exploding!!! Not many  roomies replied this topic whether they'll be there or not.... Including me   :-[ BUT... Hereby, in 3 weeks we will meet at de boerderij!!! any suggestions if we all come to gehter at the same place? like for instance ..... the bar???  ::) ;D ;D

wwetzels

Saw them last friday in Verviers. Great concert; great setlist

What an opening for this tour.

By the way; new CD is fabulous :-) :-)

The Butterfly Man

debsss

debsss

Guys.... we haven't decided yet wich point at the boerderij we meet....

Last year I stood totally wrong. At the bar... I'm not that tall. I couldn't enjoy that much the great sound and vieuw were the back of many heads in front of me. haha so maybe it's wisely to stand more at the centre or front....  ;D Or does someone  have another suggestion for a meetingpoint??

RenetheCage

I'll be there as well. Heard that the new cd is great :D
Have not received the cd I ordered, but the theaser sounds great already !

debsss

Whooohooo!! Today's the big day!!
I'm about to explode from excitement! Still I have to wait another 10 hrs.
See ya Tonight at the Boerderij!!!  *horns*

Teunis

Quote from: debsss on Sat, 2011-11-19, 09:49:59
Whooohooo!! Today's the big day!!
I'm about to explode from excitement! Still I have to wait another 10 hrs.
See ya Tonight at the Boerderij!!!  *horns*
Don't explode, you'll miss a great gig  ;). A pity that I won't make it. Sing along for me as well  :D. Have fun debsss and all the others on this forum who will attend tonight!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

debsss

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2011-11-19, 10:00:32
Don't explode, you'll miss a great gig  ;). A pity that I won't make it. Sing along for me as well  :D. Have fun debsss and all the others on this forum who will attend tonight!
Whahaha thnx Teunis ;) I'll try not to! I will sing along for you! Really pitty you can't make it. Maddox doesn't either..... Damn. You 2 were one of the persons I would like to meet to night to have a real seen face to the posts... I hope Tom and PH will be there tonight! Alle will be there as well.  *horns*

PH

Quote from: debsss on Sat, 2011-11-19, 11:04:10
Whahaha thnx Teunis ;) I'll try not to! I will sing along for you! Really pitty you can't make it. Maddox doesn't either..... Damn. You 2 were one of the persons I would like to meet to night to have a real seen face to the posts... I hope Tom and PH will be there tonight! Alle will be there as well.  *horns*

I'm sorry debsss... I'm not there! :(

erik

Marvellous gig, had a great time!! The new material sounded great, with some impressive moving lighting rigs during the track with the big wall of sound instrumental part .

The setlist as a whole was very refreshing, with only one epic which was a nice treat after a long time of absence (Valley Of The Kings), the rest was basically shorter songs with again many songs that haven't been played for a long time (or hardly/never at all if I'm not mistaken, Ghost In The Firewall). Great to hear Crying For Help IV and The Visitor again and Ascension is a great finale.

There were some comments afterwards that Solomon wasn't played, but I think the band should be applauded for playing a very different set then we've been used to and leaving usual suspects like Solomon, Butterfly Man and Hanging Tree out this time (and we did get the longer Hanging Tree solo anyway with The Visitor ;))

Paul Manzi was great, more comfortable with the lyrics now and putting on a great performance with both old and new material. Very powerful voice and stage persona, more confident and natural on the stage than Rob I guess. The new stuff is especially written and suited for his voice of course, but the older songs sounded great too.

John Jowitt expressed a "good to be back" and was clearly enjoying himself, good to have him back indeed, at the same time it's regrettable that Ian Salmon is no longer in the band now. :-\

Anyway, bring on the DVD! :P
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Sun, 2011-11-20, 11:14:28
more confident and natural on the stage than Rob I guess.

Erik, tho I love Arena (both music and persons), I can't just accept major changes like that as a matter of fact. To me Rob was the singer of Arena. He was the singer when I struck on Arena, and he sang on Contagion and Live & Life, two of the three albums that bound me to Arena (the third is The Visitor).

In that way I can stretch myself a bit in order to meet Andy. But I hope that I'm expressing myself more respectfully  ;)

I may come around to accepting Paul Manzi as the current singer of Arena, probably will, but I aint gonna forget how much Rob meant to me  :)

Guess it's like with friends getting new partners in life - which happens a lot in these times  :( : You can get to like the new person, even really like, but there will always be a wound left behind  :'(

Rob really did it well !  Let's at least agree on that  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2011-11-20, 12:30:26
Erik, tho I love Arena (both music and persons), I can't just accept major changes like that as a matter of fact. To me Rob was the singer of Arena. He was the singer when I struck on Arena, and he sang on Contagion and Live & Life, two of the three albums that bound me to Arena (the third is The Visitor).

In that way I can stretch myself a bit in order to meet Andy. But I hope that I'm expressing myself more respectfully  ;)

I may come around to accepting Paul Manzi as the current singer of Arena, probably will, but I aint gonna forget how much Rob meant to me  :)

Guess it's like with friends getting new partners in life - which happens a lot in these times  :( : You can get to like the new person, even really like, but there will always be a wound left behind  :'(

Rob really did it well !  Let's at least agree on that  :)

Nicky.

Hey Nicky, I agree with you. I'm also not accepting a new singer 'just like that'.
I really REALLY liked Rob and when I heard that he wasn't in Arena no more, I felt very sad! :( And in a way I still am, cause he made a new sound for Arena. His voice was excellent for the three albums he sang on.

His voice wasn't too great for the older albums though. But Paul Wrightson's voice was excellent for those.
"Seventh Degree..." sounds great with Paul Manzi's vocals. I probably can't imagine Rob singing these songs, because it simply wasn't written for his voice.

And that shows that the Arena guys truly know what they are doing. Each album has the perfect vocal match. And every singer has something unique to their voice, that the others don't have. Paul M's voice is really big and very good. He brings a new dimension to the Arena sound. An Arena chapter was closed and a new one is opened.
I wouldn't mind having Rob for a little longer, 'cause I just liked that particular chapter really much! But "Chapter three: Paul Manzi" is also really exciting! I'm sure you'll like it Nicky! ;)

debsss

After seeing last night's gig, I'm really convinced that Paul's voice suites perfectly to Arena.

I agree with PH that every singer so far are true matches and brought their own particular sound to the band. Every period of Arena has its own sound. And yes with Paul M. a new dimension has started! His voice sounds really great! Subtle/delicate for some older songs from the album the visitor but yet also dark for some songs from the album Immortal? His voice sounded superb when he sang the new songs! I got goosebumps allover!!! So powerfull!!  A really true match for a new period!!
Of course they know what they are doing..... They show us every time again! That's the reason that for over 13 years now I'm such a big fan! They keep amaze me over and over again with their new stuff and play all old songs with such respect....  only one word needed....: SUPERB!!!  *horns*

PH

Quote from: debsss on Sun, 2011-11-20, 14:03:33
After seeing last night's gig, I'm really convinced that Paul's voice suites perfectly to Arena.

I agree with PH that every singer so far are true matches and brought their own particular sound to the band. Every period of Arena has its own sound. And yes with Paul M. a new dimension has started! His voice sounds really great! Subtle/delicate for some older songs from the album the visitor but yet also dark for some songs from the album Immortal? His voice sounded superb when he sang the new songs! I got goosebumps allover!!! So powerfull!!  A really true match for a new period!!
Of course they know what they are doing..... They show us every time again! That's the reason that for over 13 years now I'm such a big fan! They keep amaze me over and over again with their new stuff and play all old songs with such respect....  only one word needed....: SUPERB!!!  *horns*

Phew! It seems you had a great time! ;)